Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Winter RVing Suggestions

This is the coldest weather in which we have ever "camped." I would appreciate some suggestions from others as to how to keep our RV a bit warmer...other than the obvious such as skirting, plastic over the windows, etc.
Here's what I've done to stop where the cold air comes in:

- Cover the heater intake when it's not running.
- Cover the furnace vents when not running.
- Cover the roof vents with those thick pads.
- Cut something to fit up in the sky light over the shower.
- Cover the step well.
- Stuff something in the lower corners of some slides...some are very drafty, others are not.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have done steps 3,4,5,6 in this cold Florida weather..30'40 at night 50' during day. Blowing wind. Right now the wind is blowing sort of good. This is also the coldest weather we have ever camper in. We just filled our 4th tank of propane and in the last 3 days used 91KW of electric.This is the 17th of Feb... I think the best thing to do in cold weather is stay out of the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Come to Arizona!!! Southwest.
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
  • close slide over entry door handle. It's surprising how much air comes in there.
  • small heater with blower in basement storage or cold air return area. slows/stops drafts from furnace cold air return.
  • stuff throw rug in pinbox to block opening where cold air goes up into the nose. Helps keep drafts down from front closet area.
  • plug drafts around slide seals. Not sure exactly how best to do this.
  • locate and plug openings where drain and water pipes come from outside, including from below.
  • make sure caulking around windows and door is complete.
  • locate inside access to water heater and ensure no drafts around its box
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stay in stick & brick house.

But I'd rather be "camping."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Stu Travels

M.O.C. #10171
Place squares of foam in the vents. Tape down the flap of the stove exhaust vent. If you have the fireplace, the heater is great, if not a small electric heater will do the trick for additional heat. Might need a small one in the bedroom as well. Kept us toasty.
Stu Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Are there any ideas about putting plastic over the inside of the windows, like I did in my SOB. There seems to be some trick to removing the day/night shades, to allow access to the window frame. There was a suggestion of putting "fleece" on the inside of the valance to cover the windows, but that also would cut the light coming into the rig and also the view outside. Thanks for all the help via this forum, the best on the net.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
How about the air conditioners? Hot air goes up and right out. A piece of plastic where the filter will help keep the heat inside.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stimpy123

Are there any ideas about putting plastic over the inside of the windows, like I did in my SOB. There seems to be some trick to removing the day/night shades, to allow access to the window frame.
Stimpy, the valances have screws holding them. They're accessible from under the valance. A flashlight helps to locate them. There will 2 in the smaller ones and more in the larger ones. It works best to have the shades down so they're mostly out of the way. Once you remove the valance, you'll see the screws for the shades. I remove those screws but do nothing to those tiedowns at the bottom or the tiedowns for the strings at the bottom. We just lower the shade out of the way, put on the film, then put it all back together.

One caveat, though, is after 2 or 3 or 4 times doing this, those screw holes tend to enlarge and the screws lose their bite. You could do something to restore the bite, same as for any loose screw. For us, we're just going to forego the film this year as we'll head south the day after Christmas. We may regret it but those screws are not likely to take another removal and still get a good bite.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I'm the one with the fleece. I'll post pics in a few weeks when I put them up for the winter. As far as letting light in, they easily open/close on the rod they'll be hung on.
We'll be here in Branson for the winter, and not worried at all. It's already been down to just below freezing at night, and my furnace hasn't kicked on at all. We have a ceramic heater on the kitchen island, another one in the bedroom, twin ceiling fans that alternate...and the fireplace if it's needed. I also just mounted a cpu fan in the bedroom steps (where the hamper is in the basement). I run 64 cfm's to the basement area constantly..because if the furnace isn't running, no heat's getting into there. I also built skirting to put up around the outside.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Steve, I've just raised the blinds as high as they will go and then placed the plastic security tape along the window frame, after giving them a thorough cleaning. I know that the tape isn't along the top of the frame, and was worried, as you are about the security of taking the valances and blinds down. The screws only go into the wall board. I've already had to install screw anchors into the wall board where the bracket to keep the drapes has come loose. The largest of the windows are now complete, and already see a little improvement. I'm going to tackle the others a few a day as time permits. I know that the top of the plastic isn't secured, but it is high enough that I feel the blinds kind of block the flow of air into the living area. I'll post the results in a later post. I'm kind of dissapointed with the window design. I don't know if anyone that reads these postings has any experience with the double glass windows that I saw were an option. I purchased our rig off the lot, so didn't pay extra nor get that option. I know that any seal is better than none at all. I am going to try to go to the factory to give them a few suggestions. Such as: more insulation under the slide floors and double seals where the slides engage the floor/walls of the rig. Also, more insulation in the walls, especially behind the cabinets. Just open one and you'll feel the cold air. Best wishes for a great holiday season, Steve and Sherry
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote