Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Boondocking in the C-C-C-C-Cold weather

Ok, all you guys and gals that have experience stopping at Flying J or WalleyWorlds for the night.

If I understand it correctly, it is really bad manners and bad PR to put one's slides out. So, first question, do I understand that correctly??

SOOOO, the slides are in, it is CCCCCCCOLD!!!!! and you just gotta run that furnace, I mean, the electric blanket is not gonna work, eh???

SOOOOO, do you run your furnaces with slides in???

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
most everyone I have seen at Wal-marts have their slides out. I doubt that it would hurt to run furance with them in since most of the vents are down the middle and not under the slides in my 3400 at least. Stay warm somehow.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Carol,

We stayed in a Flying J in Miss. last year because it was pouring rain and we could not find a campground. We ate in the restaurant and ask if it was OK to stay and they told us to park near the curb around the parking lot. We put the slides out and run the generator, took a shower and watched TV. When we looked out the window there were 6 or 7 more units with us and they all had the slides out.
My brother stay quite often in Walmarts and he puts the slides out.
When we were in Cody Wy a few years back the side parking lot was full of campers (lots of Prevost) and they had their awnings out lawn chairs and grills and were dumping gray water in the storm drains. I think this is what kills the welcome.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Carol, when we head south for the winter, which we havent done yet, I start the furnace at home and run with it on set at about 60. Our first night out it is always very cold and we stay at a Flying J, almost all have an RV parking area, and I have never seen anyone with there slides out, there is just not enought room in the parking spots. The first year I did this trip I did not turn the furnace on before I left and when I arrived at the Flying J is was 10 degrees. I almost froze to death and the highest temp it got to by morning was 55 and it did not shut off all night. I have done this many times and never had a problem running with furnace on.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carol, Have stayed at Wally World and put the slides out, but only if we were parked where the slides would be over the curb/grass and not projecting into the parking lot. Would hate to be awakened by someone running into a slide. I agree with above about Flying J, most lots are too small to put out the slides unless you can get an outside spot where again the slides are over the curb/grass and not into the parking area. All the best
Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We are now parked behind Sams Club with our slides out and generator running. We are way in the back against a fence with no one around and we have permission to be here.

The idea is not to get out you barbeque, awning and chairs in the parking lot. Use your judgement.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Carol, we have always had ours slides out at WalMart. We are usually in an area that is way back from cars etc. You can sometimes park along a curb. Like JoAnna says, you have to use your judgement. The idea is not to appear to be camping. You are only staying ther night, so no awning of lawn chairs, BBQ etc. Also, we try to park near other campers and in a well lighted area.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We never extend the slides in a parking lot. I believe the "look" of camping in a parking lot is what leads to ordinances against doing so. Merely my opinion though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote