Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Home 11 update

Hi all,
Came in early from backyard boondocking...raining again! Yet! Seems that's all we have had this summer. Still no leaks.
You were right about the bed, better than sleeping on rocks tho.
Took your suggestion about the contact paper and yes it was easier to make the bed. Going to replace it when we have a chance.
Microwave works great for popcorn. Not so sure about the convection
part. Guess I just will have to experiement. Any suggestions?
Very pleased with the rig EXCEPT for the Quest 2000 stereo system.
NOT user friendly is an understatement. Spent 6 1/2 hours trying to set this thing up. Still no sound out of bdrm & living area speakers.
Just scratching noise. Does anyone have their system set up and working like it should? If so, could you send me a step by step on how you did it? I even followed fulltimedreamer's excellent instructions, but
to no avail. Geeez, there has got to be an easier way or system out there that won't cost an arm & a leg and is easy to set up. Guess this old dog is not use to these fancy setups! Feel like a realy dummy!
I sent email to Keystone about this stereo problem. Hope I get an
answer.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
A little fair warning on the "Quest" system nightmare! I was lucky enough to get mine working once. Lets just say an afternoon of total determination. The problem is that when I turned it off and turned it back on the next day...all was lost. I was back to square one. I got it semi programed once again, the fool that I am, and sure enough turned it off and the next day all was lost. I have given up on mine for now because I have my attention in other places.

It's interesting it's the one thing I continually mention to Keystone and always get silence or very minimal response from them. The same response I got from the previous RCA nightmare.

I do hope when those of you, who have this problem, are at the Rally in September will unify on this issue and require Keystone to step up to the plate.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, if I were betting money I'd put it on the reason for the silence being they probably got a very good price by signing a long-term contract for that product. I have no basis in fact, just guessing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I could not even determine who the manufacture of ours was. After one week-end the entire system speakers and all was donated to the garbage man. Replaced it with a complete home intertainment system purchase from Best Buy, sounds great and no more frustration.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am just curious, what system did you buy to replace the factory one? I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have been able to program mine and do get sound from all 5 speakers including the rear, and bedroom. I am going to be back in the coach this friday and will try to remember to write down each program that I have used to make mine work and pass it along.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Stevem

Oh, I'm sure it's something like that. For lack of a better word I just find it insulting to the customer. It's like they "pretend" you are getting something you are not when you buy it. Then act like it's just something you have to "figure" out or live with. Even with my speakers working the sound is so awful I don't what to hear a good song runined by those speakers.

For what it's worth. My antenna has never worked and neither does my cable connection. Something else they were supposed to address when it went back to Indiana and did not. It never bothered me much at first because I use Dish, but now that I"m in another city I would like to use the Antenna for local broadcast.

Bill,

I know we have the option of junking it starting over at our own expense, but for what we pay for these units we should not have to. You should have heard my dealer go on and on about the wonderful new "state of the art" sound system I was getting in my new improved Miss Montana.

Did you submit the cost of replacement to Keystone?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
No I didn't try to submit, I have a feeling it would not have went anywhere . Our system was messed up from the get-go, all speakers were wired wrong from the factory. The dealer was great trying to fix it, and did get all the speakers working, not surround stereo but noise came out of them. We were out at our dealers this last week-end to pick up some supplies and took a look at the 05 3400RL, no improvment in the stereo system. The sales guy laughingly said they probably bought a train load very cheap. I agreed, no more than 20 bucks each.
The system I replaced it with is a Koss from Best Buy, I had to enlarge the speaker openings a little, well worth the trouble. Very user friendly and sounds great.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:46 AM   #8
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace
Very pleased with the rig EXCEPT for the Quest 2000 stereo system.
NOT user friendly is an understatement. Spent 6 1/2 hours trying to set this thing up. Still no sound out of bdrm & living area speakers.
Just scratching noise.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that anyone considering ordering a Montana product give serious consideration to requesting that electronics such as stereos and TVs be ommitted for a credit and you install them after market with name brand quality equipment that carry good warranties. I know I'll get flamed for this by people who can watch their TVs and listen to the stereos that came with their units BUT I think that this is where Keystone is making a killing with rock bottom of the market goods and until they understand that they aren't doing anyone a favor by installing trash they will continue to put this crap in...
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gvons, ideas are always welcomed here. Should flaming occur, you can rest assured one of the moderators will jump on it soon as we know about it. Besides, I think yours is a good idea. We wanted to delete the recliner for credit and purchase our own. That wasn't allowed so we accepted the standard recliner and put it in storage. If we ever trade this Montana the original chair will go back in and we'll take our lazyboy with us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Montana_907
Established Member

M.O.C. #907
I would agree and have agreed in the past that the Quest system is junk. I have the Toshiba TV and when I use its remote, some of the remote buttons also work controls on the Quest box. If I channel down on the TV, it turns off the Quest box. I can't watch TV and listen to it through the surrond sound because of this.

Absolute junk!!!
Montana_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 AM   #11
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Hmmm... Until I read this thread, testing the stereo wasn't on my delivery checklist. It definitely is now. Based on what everyone has said so far, I may have an interesting morning tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a DVD along.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:43 AM   #12
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
It's not just Keystone that install these incredibly cheap stereos in their units. I was in a $65k Cedar Creek this weekend and the stereo was a 'Concertone'. This brand is at the bottom of the barrel where quality is concerned. I imagine it must have cost Cedar Creek less than $50.00 to buy.
I wonder if the other mechanical/electronic components used by Keystone etc. also come out of the 'bargain barrel'?

My stereo and TV are RCA and I intend to replace the stereo with a much better unit from Costco for about $130.00 but in the meantime I use a set of Altec Lansing speakers intended for a PC. They cost $29.00 at Staples, come with a sub woofer and plug into the headphone jack. They sound a world better than what came in my Montana.

I think the reason Keystone won't give you a credit for not taking the stereo is because you'd know then how little it cost!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:41 AM   #13
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Each one of u have great ideals, Bill u stated nothing would have happen if you complanted to keystone, the question that's never asked is what hurt other. It does not hurt to voice your opinion, it help in getting thing done.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote