Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Recommended books for fulltiming?

I've been looking on the internet (the usual places such as Amazon, half.com, eBay, RVbookstore.com, etc.) for a recent book or books on fulltime RV living. While there are many books available, most of them were published 8 to 10 years ago and haven't been updated to include information about satellite hookups, internet hookups, and/or other things that are now part of what we would want as fulltimers. The reviews are spotty, too. For example, one reviewer will give the "Fulltiming For New & Used RVers" a top rating, but the next reviewer will give it a bottom rating. And who knows--the person doing the reviewing could be someone who's never owned an RV or someone who is an RVer but not a fulltime person. I've also found one or two web sites that address fulltime RV living, but the original lifestyle and current RV lifestyle of those RVers is so far from the reality of my life that the info is generally unhelpful to me.

I have to say, of course, the best fulltime RV living information I've collected is from you MOCers who are not only talking the talk, but walking (or pulling ) the walk. My trusty 3-ring binder is bulging with printouts of what I've read on the MOC boards, so it will always be my #1 "go to" source. I know I can't get better info anywhere. Still, I'd like to find a book that has a lot of good info in one place.

Have any of you found a book or books helpful in making the change from avid camper to fulltime RVer? If so, what are the titles and are they current enough to be of use to anyone who is contemplating going to the fulltime lifestyle in the next year or two?

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Being a fulltimer I personally learned from our own experiences and this forum. I honestly don't feel that anyone can truly write such a book. Like everything else in life there are way to many variables for any book to be worth it's price.

BUT, there is one book that will cover everything. It's not available in any book store nor online. It is written by the many many fulltimers out there with updates coming out almost everyday. It's title is
"The Book Of Hard Knocks".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Carolyn, I looked and bought several books on full time RV'ing when we started this lifestyle two years ago. I found the same thing you are talking about. Seems anyone who had been fulltiming for awhile felt they could write. Well most were wrong. I have since chucked all the books I had bought as once I read them I realized there was no good current books on the subject. Now, having said that, and before I get hammered, that was two years ago and most of what I know now I got right here on the MOC Forum. I now carry travel guides and atlases and the different CG books from the different camping clubs. Afterall, once you learn how to drive (or pull) one of these things, that's really all you need....If you do find anything worth considering, please post.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't believe you'll find any up-to-date books on fulltime RVing. The best book I've seen is Kay Peterson's book "Home is Where You Park It." It is available here along with several good books on RVing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You guys confirmed what I already knew. The best info comes from the people who ARE fulltiming or who are actively researching the fulltiming life. As I said in my original post, I have a notebook filled with hints and tips from the MOC forums about fulltiming and everything else MOC-related. It's not always convenient to cut/paste/print those things, but it's cheaper and the info is so much better than a book that is out of date.

Just in the last month we've met, via the forum and PM-ing, a couple who are living the dream much in the way we want to do it. They've shared some of their experiences with us, and it so nice to learn about the things that work for them, the things they've learned along the way, and the ongoing pleasures they are experiencing, which confirm that fulltiming can be the most rewarding experience of a lifetime. We hope to meet up with them in June for a face-to-face "How To" personal seminar!

Thanks for your viewpoints. (And Glenn, I am the one who WROTE The Book of Hard Knocks. Seriously!)

Carolyn
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Trial and error and lots of reading on RV Forums have really helped. I didn't have a problem with the towing Large 5th wheels. I have pulled heavy trailers all of my life, that was one benefit of being raised on a Farm.

For those who want to learn a great deal about cost of full timing etc. I recomend you take a look at RV-Dreams.com the site is ran by Howard and Linda and there he gives yearly cost and a break down of expensives. They are full timing in a Cambridge 358 since 2005. Very nice forum, and lots of Pictures, one of the best forums for full timing I have seen. They also have a open forum and a chat room. I think you will find it very interesting. GBY...

www.RV-Dreams.com
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Carolyn -
We are going through the same process you are, I guess.
I'm keeping most of my documents on the computer, though.
I currently have 91 megabytes consisting of 69 folders, 295 files and "who knows" how many documents.
My "3-ring binder" would be more like a "3-drawer file cabinet."
I have the data pretty well organized since there's no way I can remember it all and I will need to reference it regularly (lots of checklists !!!)
I have a number of websites I visit and if you'd like to know of them just let me know.
--- dreamin' along ---
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carolyn,

Those people you are going to meet in June will be happy to help answer any of your questions. They had the same problems you are now experiencing.

Finding up-to-date information is pretty much impossible because like Glenn said, there are just to darned many variables.

We are fulltimers, and know that our lifestyle does not fit the needs of others, and vice-versa. Get a book that gives you the information that CAN help you when the time arrives to make your own decisions.

Alice and I read many books trying to decide which way to mold our lifestyle. We found our lifestyle ended up to be a combination of many different ways many people conduct their lives. No two lifestyles will be the same, we all have different interests, needs and goals.

As one single example, we know people who restrict their RVing lifestyle to only camping where there is 50amp power....we usually can't find the solitude we're looking for in those places, but then, to each their very own.

We found two books that were of value to us, they of course are outdated, but the philosophy is still valuable to today.

Complete Guide to Full-Time RVing
Life on the Open Road
by Bill and Jan Moeller

and

RV Boondocking Basics
A guide to Living Without Hookups
by Russ and Tina De Maris

BTW, I have read every single word that Howard and Linda Payne have ever written in RV-Dreams.com They have some wonderful ideas, but not the same as ours. Just recently we boondocked with Howard and Linda, it was a learning experience for them, they have the ability to learn from others, and that is the key to your success. We will be co-hosts with Howard and Linda in Arches National Park in March, and they will return the favor by teaching us about volunteer campground hosting!

Best of luck, and if we can offer suggestions from our experience, please feel free to ask any time.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Before we started full-timing we bought several books and I agree that the best was Bill and Jan Moeller's. But what helped us the most was going to Escapees.com and joining their full time discussion forum. There is a ton of info there and what better information can you get then from hundreds that have been on the road for years?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! What a task that would be to write a book covering all aspects of fulltiming, or even just RV'ing in general, since everything applies in one way or another.

I typically do a search on keywords and come up with different sites/articles/authors, that have attempted to put something together on the subject. Example is a search on "101 RV Tips," or just "RV Tips," without the quotes.

One thing to consider is that any Yokel, including me, could write an article on something and it may not be an accurate, so one must consider the source. Of course, the same thing can be said about a book.

One of the nice things is that the MOC usually has members who have read/done/used/, or even written about, subjects pertaining to RV's, and it is very helpful to use someones experience.

Carolyn, good luck with your new book . I'll buy a copy if it's only $19.95 and has EVERYTHING in it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You MOCers are wonderful! I discovered Howard and Linda's web site last week and let the essay grading and noon hour chats with my colleagues fall by the wayside as I spent my time reading every word on the RV Dreams site. A wealth of info is posted there, and although not all of us applies to us and our situation, it certainly is a great place to find out about the things you might not have considered when preparing to fulltime in an RV.

Robbie and Alice, I know you were a wealth of information when boondocking with Howard and Linda. What a great way for thenm to learn the ropes of being without the power/water/etc. amenities--learning from people who are experts at that already.

I've made a list of the sites, books, and comments posted on this thread, and after taking Flat Stanley* over to the lake for some ice-fishing and a photo session, I'll be at my computer exploring everything I've learned.

*Flat Stanley, for those of you who don't know him, is a character from the Flat Stanley book. He's flat, because of an accident that didn't hurt him one bit except to flatten him like a pancake. My grandson's preschool class made Flat Stanleys and gave them to people to care for from mid-January to mid-February. The recipients were responsible for taking their Flat Stanleys various places and documenting their adventures. Brock's Flat Stanley has been snow-skiing, attending class with my students, shopping at Costco, Target, Lowe's, and Home Depot, playing in the dirt with big Tonka trucks in a huge hole on our property, swinging from my birdfeeders, riding our dogs, napping with our cat, climbing into a wood chipper (and then being placed in Time Out because he was told to stay away from that dangerous thing), and enjoying other adventures. The ice-fishing today will be the last outing for him, because I have to put all the photos in a photo-journal, write the story of Flat Stanley's month-long visit with us, and get the booklet back to Brock by Tuesday. The things we do for our grandchildren!

Carolyn