Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Mountaineer burnt to the ground by POP-TART

About three weeks ago, a new Mountaineer RV burnt to the ground in our park. We have been living in the park about 150 feet from this rig but were traveling in our 5th wheel when the fire happened.
According to the park manager, the guy that owned the Mountaineer had put a pop-tart in the toaster. The tart apparently got jammed in the toaster and the guy thought his toaster wasn't working. Rather than unplug the toaster and/or get the pop tart out, he left and went into town for breakfast. While he was gone, the pop tart caught fire and within 10 minutes the entire rig was on fire. The Fire Marshall said the pop tart shot flames five feet in the air.....Yikes.
The intensity of the fire also destroyed a neighbor's 5th wheel....however, the park manager hasn't been able to locate the owner. They haven't been here in over a year and none of the phone numbers are any good. The rent is paid every month though.
I downloaded a few pictures on photobucket.
Hope this link works:
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/Judyuk_1/

Please let me know if this link doesn't work. The first five pics are of the fire.

Judy

judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Oh Oh! Did the Pop-Tarts have a warning label - "Caution - May cause fires" Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously, that is a shame that something so simple as a Pop-Tart would destroy two 5ers. Hope they had insurance.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for the pics Judy - good to hear everything was unoccupied.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
One would think that it would be commonsense to remove the pop tart or secure the toaster prior to leaving and going to town...but after 28 years in the fire service I found that commonsense isn't that common. Glad no one was injured.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
The building I work in almost burned down due to a stuck toaster with a pop tart in it.

http://www.geocities.com/fishbulb42/poptarts.htm

This is a well known risk. Don't leave a toaster unattended.

Gary
deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow, great pics! I wouldn't have thought they could through out those kind of flames.

I carry those little fire starter sticks in the Monty. I think I'll switch to pop-tarts! I could use it as a back up food supply.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Wow....that's unbelievable. Apparently pop tarts and toasters can be a lethal weapon....
Next thing you know, we'll have to take pop tart safety courses and carry a permit to buy them
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Such a tragedy. Makes me shudder to think how easy things can go very wrong.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
The only "tart" in my life is Mary Elizabeth, Vavavoom!
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Wow...what an awful experience for the owner.Glad no one including animals were harmed.When we leave our Mountaineer with the Collies in it I unplug every added appliance we have,toaster oven/blow dryers/computer charger and even turn the hot water heater off.After seeing the remains of that 5er I think I may start turning the main off in the panel in cooler weather conditions.

Philip
07 Mountaineer 336RLT
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We do not unplug all our appliances when we leave the rig. We don't do that in our stick house either. We routinely turn off the HWH anyway just to save energy.

It should be noted that the reason the rig burned was due to operator error. It was not the fault of the innocent pop tart (which gave up its life). The fault clearly lies with the operator of the toaster. Who in their right mind would leave a pop tart inside a toaster and leave for breakfast? Especially one where it was apparently obvious that the toaster was not operating properly!

Like others have indicated I'm just happy no one was injured and no animals were lost. Terrible loss for the rig owners but otherwise could have been much worse.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I came across this article tonight and it made me think of this thread. I had to post it here. Although it is sad that montys AND houses have been lost due particularly to pop tarts, apparently, this article was written with humor. http://www.davebarry.com/natterings_files/poptarts.htm
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I think Dave Barry is spot on with his conclusions...Dave(not Barry)
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote