Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Chipping the New Cummins Motor

During the course of our stay at Lazydays I met a gentleman who owned large portions of several companies such as Bully Dog and Mr. Gasket.. He suggested that I put a chip in the new Dodge and enjoy the extra power and fuel mileage...

Has any Dodge drivers used a chip in the new 6.7 Cummings?

Im not into the diesel racing scene but the extra power would be nice as well as the increase in torque.

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Doug: Don't!!

That said -- If you have any type of engine problem STAR is having the techs search for any signs of a chip ever being installed (velcro in the engine compartment, extra (loose) wires, GUAGES!! Now, besides being told that by the techs and service writers at 2 different dealerships (Manhattan KS and Topeka KS); I was also looking at trading to a 2008 3500 with the new 6.7 and automatic. Had a purchase order all written up (knew I was going to take a hit on the trade as KBB shows a big drop) however I was not expecting 5000 additional taken off because I have a guage set installed. Have never had a chip, only put the guages in because I tow (my dealer knows that as well). However, this estimate was done by the Dodge dealer on South Metcalf, Kansas City KS. The offered me 18K for my 06 3500 Larime; KBB shows 30; dealers call auction and have gotten 24 to 27 in Manhattan and Topeka. As I said, was blown away when he only offered me 18 and he came right out and told me it was because I had signs of having a chip in my truck.

So, just take it as my 2 cents worth.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Doug- From what I understand, if you put a chip into your '07 it may void the warranty. The dealers know if you have chipped it because it resets all the computer stuff! Up here in Omaha, they won't work on a chipped vehicle from what I understand! Have a nephew that has chipped his Chevy but it has over 150,000 on it so the warranty was gone anyway! He says he definately has more power but it doesn't save him on the mpg since it opens up the fuel more. When he hits the peddle the black smoke just rolls. He has also put on propane injection on his and he says that does help with both power and mpg.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's my understanding, too, about voiding the warranty. And I doubt very many 6.7's are yet past the 100,000 mile warranty mark. Mine's just at 28,000.

I also read that the new computers in the new trucks retain a record of all changes made to the programming and that record is not accessible for erasing. Being an old programmer I don't quite understand how it could write a record of changes but not be accesible for erasing (which is just writing 0's over the data) but that's what they say.

I don't see a need for more power anyhow but, if I did, I'd sure wait until after the warranty period.

If that guy owns large parts of those companies, of course he's want us all to buy his product!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't know about that Guage thing. I have a Guage in my 08 Ford because I want to see the EGT's. The Ford Warranty book... Says "performance enhancing chips or programes " will void the warranty.. The guage is neither..I would check the Dodge book for such a statement?? As for the chip we have been told by "qualified " folks that the chip does indeed leave a trail and can be detected..sort of like deleting things on the PC...you can't see them but they are still there and can be recovered. The 08 6.4l does not need more power as it has more than enugh to yank the 3400 around.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm not quite sure why anyone would even want to take a chance at voiding the warranty on such a new truck. I would consider this IF I had an older truck that actually needed the extra power to pull a load. I just bought a new Chevy and there is no way I would even think about that. As far as extra gas mileage, it would take an awful lot of 2-3 extra mpgs to offset the cost of a new engine. Bottom line - leave the chips for those who actually need it!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I just got back from the Dodge dealer on Wyoming and Lomas here in Albuquerque; wanted to see what they'd give me for my truck in trade for an O8 6.7 with auto. Appraiser went out to the truck, didn't even start it up, came back in and told me that I'd have better luck selling it myself since I'd chipped it. No way his dealership could sell it since they couldn't do warranty work on the engine given the way STAR was now-a-days. I told him it had never been chipped -- I had the guage package installed simply because I tow a heavier 5th wheel recreational vehicle and I wanted to know how the engine was performing and be safe. Told me to my face that I was most likely lying -- said only people who ran chips had guages!!! At that point I turned away from him, thanked the young sales man helping me (who I must admit, in retrospect, looked astonished at what he had just heard) and walked out. I'm still pissed -- wife says my face is red. Guess I'll go have a soda and cool off some!! I may call the dealership manager later today but it was best I leave right then -- I so wanted to do something to that aRs..... Oh well, my 5.9 is doing well......
Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Agree with the others...don't do it. First, you don't need it, plenty of power...then there's that warranty thing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have had 2 dodges and have found no need to chip them and my new 08 dodge is on its way and I will not be chipping it either.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The issue with Skypilot is that he is being told that the PRESENCE of a guage is proof that you have chipped your engine.Again the Ford 6.4 diesel book says on page 2 "A performance enhancing chip will void the warranty." The truck is full of OEM guages and my "aeroforce guage" monitors everything that Ford monitors at the Diag port and in addition the pre turbo EGT. It enhances nothing. I would take a look at the GM and Dodge book for a similar definition.Since the tracks can not be erased (allegedly) all they need do is to take a look at the PC and read what is there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
I THINK THAT I WILL FORGET ABOUT THE CHIP

After the tow home and the back peddling I had to do to keep it at the speed limit I have more power that I need for now.
I was tempted to use the cruise control to keep the speed down.

Thanks for the input I will break out the Dodge book and let you know Chrysler's take on it.

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Cruise keeps it nice and steady.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As Rich says, the dealers are going simply off the 'Presence' of guages to draw, in this case at least - an invalid conclusion. The problem is that it is not just a matter of what the book says -- it ultimately becomes a matter of deeper pockets and the ability to deal with / get the dealership to deal with STAR. Yhe Dealers hands are tied if STAR says they will not honor the warranty issue. I know that we are protected by law from arbitrary 'warranty denials' but it becomes our job to fight such. During that fight, expenses mount and we lose the use of our trucks and possibly trailers. As I've said many times, the warranty is too important for me -- I don't have deep pockets. Regardless, I'm now regretting putting the guages in but I wanted them and they serve their purpose -- keeping me informed of how hard my engine and transmission are working so that I can get the best long-term service from this truck. Nothing more, nothing less; and definitely no need to chip.

By the way, I stopped by Trucks Unique later in the day and was telling them about the incident at Dodge. The sales man I was speaking to showed me a form they now have the customer sign where they state that the installation of guages and 'other performance items to include but not limited to guages, larger exhaust systems, performance chips' and other miscellaneous items may result in problems ranging from difficulty getting warranty work done to the complete denial of warranty coverage.

'nuff said.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Since torque, horsepower and mpg are really important marketing items for the manufacturers there is probably a very good reason they do not "up-chip" the vehicles at the factory. It might be the engines are not designed to take the extra strain or that they won't pass emissions testing/standards. Either way after market modifications seem like a dangerous path to take. BTW this doesn't apparently apply to the Ford V10. My Triton V10 was "chipped" at the Ford dealer to allow me to burn higher octane fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. This is a perfectly acceptable modification as long as you use the Ford Engine Performance Module (EPM) sold by Ford.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Skypilot, Tell the Dodge boys to put a Star scan on your truck and they will be able to see whether it's been chipped or not. Make 'm prove it. It would sure p--- me off if they did something like that to me. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
It was stated in Diesel Power Mag. that the new trucks would be harder to add THE ADD ON'S because of all the new emision systems that have been added to the engine. The chips add torque and power to the engine, I find in most cases very little in fuel economy. The engine is under the warranty for the new truck as it was delivered to you stock from the factory, no changes to the engine to increase torque, or power while under warranty.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #17
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As I've mentioned, my dealings with Dodge since the guage package has been testing the waters to trade for an 08; my dealer in Manhattan has been super working with me and has taken care of everything regarding the truck. However, since it is a rather small dealership I figured I just see what I could get in a larger town (KC and now Albuquerque). Given the low trade in value regardless of the hassles, I've decided that I'm keeping my truck (for awhile anyway) -- plus yesterday I went and looked at a new 07 FL M2 Sportschassis -- what a nice ride, and what a nice $$$$$$$ price tag. Going to have to save some serious pennies to get one of those (or buy one used after someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit). .

Back to the topic though - as several others have said, don't chip. In fact on another forum someone mentioned that there was a newer flash upgrade out for the 08s and it increased their power and mileage significantly. You might want to check with your dealer and see if there is a new software upgrade to the ECM (I think that is the correct one) for your truck.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #18
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
After investigating the issue of chipping my 06 Ford F-350 PSD, I decided not do it due to advice from my dealer about loosing the the warranty. I did replace the exhaust and air cleaner system with Banks equipment. That provided a little more zip and a cooler operating engine. I agree that I have as much powere as I need. To me the bigger issue is stopping power. What have you folks done, if anything, to improve stopping power?
lcarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The most efficent thing you can do is add Disk Brakes to your 5th wheel. We had a Cambridge and we had Mor/Ryde disk brakes and it was like day and night difference. It was the best Mod that we made to the Cambridge. I don't put any Gadgets on my Duramax, I have plenty of HP and Torq. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote