Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I have a 2008 F250 SB with a ReTrax rolling hard cover. This cover retracts into a box that is mounted in the bed against the cab. It extends down into the truck bed about one foot and sticks out into the bed about 10 inches. This leaves about a 9 1/2 inch cavity below the box.

I have been trying to find an auxiliary fuel tank to put into the bed that would let me utilize this wasted space. I have found several "L" shaped tanks that I could turn around backwards and let the lower foot of the "L" stick up under the bed cover box. But, when I do this it puts the filler cap on the end of the tank towards the passenger side. I have not found a manufacturer that is willing to take one of their tanks and manufacture it with the filler cap on the other end of the tank.

I have an above deck 18 gallon Moeller Boating Topside Fuel Tank that would just slide under the top cover box where I could lash it down at both ends to the tie down points in the front of the truck bed. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this would be OK to use. Are there any restriction to using a plastic tank like this in a truck?

Buddy

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I meet these guys at Q-site, told me they would custom build a tank to fit what I needed and the price was about the same as a none custom tank would have been.

http://www.kshmarine.com/
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You might want to consider a Transfer Flow under bed replacement tank for your OEM. I did this and gained an extra 19 gals of fuel, which is now 45 gals. Plenty, in my opinion.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

You might want to consider a Transfer Flow under bed replacement tank for your OEM. I did this and gained an extra 19 gals of fuel, which is now 45 gals. Plenty, in my opinion.....
That's what I did also. Went from 34 gallon oem to 56 gallon Transfer Flow.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote