Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
EGT, Trans Temp, & Boost Guages

After reading the October 2006 thread on adding the subject gauges, it is very evident to me that I really don't want to head West on our fulltiming adventure without them. My problem is this: I do not want to loose my "hand grip" on the A-pillar. I need it to pull myself up into the cab of my Dodge RAM 3500 (ok, no comments please!). I have visited the sites mentioned in this earlier thread and most did not apply to Dodge trucks - or maybe I just didn't look far enough. The one that had options for a Dodge - www.dieselmanor.com - did not have "Autometer" gauges, it was some other brand. I absolutely know nothing about this stuff and despite doing some research (probably not enough), I do not feel very smart and certainly not enough to proceed without some help/advice. Does anyone who owns a 2007 Dodge RAM 3500 have these gauges mounted in a location other than the A-pillar? Help!!! Thanks in advance for your help!

CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
If your truck is stock, no programmers on it. You do not need these guages. The factory computer in your truck will not let the egt's get out of range. It will de-fuel the engine automatically.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Try genosgarage.com I have a set on my 2004 that mount on the steering column.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
I have a question.... Is there a display that will read out trans temp from the ECM, assuming that the ECM monitors trans temp? Or do all gauges require dropping the pan and installing a sensor?

Thanks,

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I am also looking at gauges for my Ford F350 and am having the same debate with myself. I am down to between the A-pillar mount and the "above the mirror" mount. Diesel Manor has both and their kits have the ISSPRO gauges which according to people on the Ford diesel forums are superior to the Autometer gauges. I would call up Diesel Manor and talk to them. They are very helpful and I am sure they will get you what you want.
I agree with gitrdun that if you don't have a chip/programmer, you probably will not need an EGT or Boost gauge. I however pull in the mountains and worry about my transmission temperatures more than anything else.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Check this link....they have one that mounts on top of the dash. I have the same gauges on a pillar mount and love them.

http://www.cyclonediesel.com/bdpower.htm
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
alboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7141
I HAVE A EDGE /W ATTITUDE DIGITAL READOUT ,06 5.9 CTD ,3.73 AUTO ,IF YOU PULL WITH in your tow specs, say for mine 14000 lbs, you should have no problem.exceed that weight and your EGT,S will exceed 1300,mine runs with lower egt at tow mode, extra 40 hp and it pulls with much less effort,100 degrees cooler.Guages are neat ,as you see how the TV responds to different situations,Iwas amazed how high the egt will go on factory settings before it defuels.
alboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
i have a dual temp gage (engine oil & tranny-manual) and fuel pressure on my steering column. I set the Edge for boost, EGT, engine temp & intake temp. I like to know what is going on under the hood.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Chris & Dave: There is a 3 guage mount out there that goes on the dash, just left of center. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/ is a big Dodge forum and has lots of posts about guages.

Now, that said, I feel I must pass on the 'doomsday msg' -- First - Check with your dealer and see how far they will go supporting you if warranty work comed up. I have an 06 3500 DRW Dodge and local dealer has been very emphatic about me NOT adding guages. If I have any engine or exhaust problems they are being required by Dodge Star (warranty main office?) to check for guages, velcro under the hood, pilar mounts, etc., showing any signs of chipping or other performance enhancing devices. If any such tape, velcro, etc., is found, local dealer has said they are 99.9 percent certain that warranty will be denied for such repairs. I checked with Topeka and Wichita Dodge dealers (Topeka in person, Wichita by phone) and got the same story from them. I can fight it but guess the question comes down to who has deeper pockets. I can't afford to pitch my warranty . Now, all that said, I do want the guages, especially the tran temp and then the EGT but......
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
SkyPilot: I am somewhat mystified as to why the factory doesn't want an owner to add guages other than the factory assuming where there's a guage, there's a performance mod to be monitored. The addition of any guage known to me would not cause any harm to the engine or tranny ... just give the operator more information other than an idiot light.
Jim: I don't think an aftermarket guage will work with the output signal of the ECM. Although the tranny pan is probably the best source for temp readings, many tee into the cooler lines themselves or use an existing test port on the tranny if you're knowledgable of said tranny.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Thanks for all the info. After careful consideration and several dicussions with
dodge warranty rep and service reps at Chrysler in Detroit and my local dealer, I have decided to not install the gauges and just hope for the best. I asked my local dealer warranty rep point blank: "So, if I am pulling a long hill in the Rockies (or some other place) and the transmission goes out because it was overheated, Dodge is going to replace it?" Her response, without hesitation, was yes, provided you are within all the specs for towing with your truck. Well, the 2007 Dodge RAM brouchure has the towing capacity chart in it and according to it I can tow 15,850lbs. with my truck. Now, if I can just get Keystone to give me the correct weight stickers . . . . . But that is another story! Thanks again for your help and advice. Maybe after my 5-year 100,000 mile extended warranty has expired I will install the gauges! LOL!!!!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I would think a receipt from a scale showing trailer weight would suffice to show the amount of weight you are towing.

Sunnyside, my external trans temp gauge sender is mounted in the line coming out of the transmission, headed to the cooler. That's just one possibility for you. No need to drop the pan.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
No gages from Dodge? Ask them why the Jake brake from Cummins with a Dodge number on the box is tapped for a EGT probe.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #14
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Chris,

Genos garage does have a tranny temp gauge that has a corresponding clamp-on/heat conducting fitting to the oil line going to the cooler so you can get (with ~10 degrees low reading) tranny temp, without having to break in to any of Dodge's warranted items. Genos also has a steering column mount that holds up to 2 gauges. The problem I have is 1) getting the wires through the firewall without cutting a hole (directive from my navigator), and 2) getting a switched 12v source of power for the gauge. The "closest" would be the cigarette lighter, but it appears that a full exploratory surgery is required to get to it. A neighbor said that NAPA has an "extender" that you could put in the fuse block that will give you switched power off of this fused circuit, but I haven't gotten out the meter to go looking for this switched source.

Good Luck - John
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dieselguy: I'm at a loss as well - as a licensed pilot (hence the handle), I'm used to having guages, especially EGT when flying turbo'd aircraft. You need the guages to keep the engine, trans, etc., within limits even when stock!! However, Dodge (and Ford locally) are very emphatic about not paying .

Bigsmurf: I called local dealer and asked first if MY jakebrake had the place for an EGT probe already in it and was told since I was so set on installing an EGT to go ahead and get one -- however, if anything broke, I knew in advance that I would be the one to pay. As for why Dodge has it there -- I can only imagine it is not a Dodge decision but who ever actually casts the metal works for their supply source. Easier to put it in and sell it to many OEM vendors ?????? Just a guess.

Regardless, unless I win the lottery I don't see guages in my near term future .
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote