Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Not the same any more

For all of my adult life, I thought TTs looked better than fifth wheels. Well, driving home from work this afternoon, I saw a truck pulling a TT going in the other direction. It is amazing, but they just do not look that appealing to me anymore. I suppose I have fully adjusted to the bulk and height of the fifth wheel. I told Marsha that I just don’t see myself ever wanting another TT, to which she quickly agreed.

It is amazing how our perspectives will change if we just allow them to do so.

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have always liked the head room that only a high profile Fiver gives and at 5'9" I am not a tall man but space is space. When I go in TTs I feel like the roof is coming down on me.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I loved my first travel trailer, but now that I went to the fifth wheel 2 years ago I do not ever see myself going back to a travel trailer. It is amazing at the amount of space and room a fifth wheel has compared to the travel trailer and the motorhomes.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
At 6'2" I can't imagine anything shorter than a fiver. I still have to duck in the bedroom around the A/C.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We still would prefer the TT.I think they have more room per foot, A illusion perhaps and they are on one level .However the fifth wheel is more stable when towing and much easier to tow,Since we will be on the road much more the fifth made sense,,Everything is a compromise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We still would prefer the TT.I think they have more room per foot, A illusion perhaps and they are on one level .However the fifth wheel is more stable when towing and much easier to tow,Since we will be on the road much more the fifth made sense,,Everything is a compromise.
Rich, You gotta be kidding me but than again you haven't owned a 5th wheel yet. I guess you have to have that 5th wheel before you can make that distinction. There's no illusion there. Just measure the room of a TT and than the room of an equal length 5er. I can promise the 5er will win every time.
Other than a lower MSRP and being able to tow a TT with a greater variety of vehicles I see nothing giving the TT the advantage.
We love our 5er and I have been in many many TTs and in my mind there is absolutey no comparision
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
My wife and I explored RV shows from 1998 to 2000 and talked with alot of experienced RV'ers, hands down for travel and fulltimers, the fv'er won.
We found the Montana brand model 3255RL and have not looked back. I have explored a slide-in unit for different traveling applications, but would not trade my 5'er for TT or Motorhome.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I should have said more "usable room" per foot. There is no doubt the fifth wheel we got was the best choice for us, We also noted that any fifthwwheel of 30 Foot or less was just not large enough in the front bedroom area )looking at it from the full timer or long timer point of view) so we are obliged to get a unit larger than we needed. A 30/32 foot TT with a slide on each side would have done us just fine had we not been doing a lot of highway miles. we did tape measure comparison early on and found the the living area and kitchen area with slides out were about the same if not the same in a Fifth wheel or TT of the same size. Because of the design of fifth wheels they have more room in the bathroom area. However in the towing area the fifth wheel wins hands down.Using a camper 30 or 40 days a year and perhaps traveling 3 or 4 thousand miles , if that, the TT is not so bad..But with a lot of highway miles the fifth is the way to go. Although we did a lot of comparison checking TT vs Fifth wheel because Helen was "Room" conscious ( i was always in her way) In my mind I never considered another TT becaus of how we were going to use it..lots of highway miles.. Was not suggesting the TT was better..again it is how you use it and what you need it for.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I have yet to see a 5er swaying back and forth enough to see the undercarriage. We followed a tt(towed by some friends) and he started swaying so bad I thought it would turn over. NEVER seen that with a 5er!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Stiles, I am 6'4", so you don't even have to imagine that I still have to duck some in the bedroom of ours depite not having an air conditioner there, but not so much that I feel like it is inconvenient.

That said, I agree with everyone that the head room in the main living area makes all of the difference in the world, especially as we run the ceiling fan often.

Rich, towing the 5er is, indeed, a dream. I use to fret on interstates about transfer trucks. Not any longer.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
See, J.D. ... we told you you would grow to love the 5th wheel! When we met you almost a year ago, you were so doubtful that you would ever not miss your travel trailer. It makes us so proud!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #12
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
A travel trailer has less room per foot because the length includes the triangle frame with the hitch, jack, and propane bottles. A 30 foot fifthwheel has much more inside room than a 30 foot travel trailer which really is 27 foot. And a fifthwheel has much more outside storage in the basement. The travel trailer sways in big side winds too. The big advantage of a travel trailer is it is cheaper because it doesn't have all those things. A travel trailer is nice if that is your choice though.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are talking total overall length and that is probably correct..The size of the "box" on our Terry TT was exactly 30 feet however the overall length was 32 feet 6 inches. We put the tape to the OUTSIDE of the 06 3400 and it is listed at 37'3 but measured in at 39'1..Of course the 3400 has 4 slides and when out that is a ton of area. In fact I saw a 05 3400 that had been salvaged and the only furniture left in the inside was the kitchen table and the bed, You cannot believe how BIG the kitchen/ living room area looked with the slides out and empty of furnishings.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The current issue of Trailer Life has a very nice article on the brand new VR1. For those of you who know Coleman Davis, formerly of Montana, the VR1 is his baby. It has sheet metal to include that A frame area of the travel trailer within the inside dimensions of the rig. In other words, this is a travel trailer that makes interior use of the area over the A frame. The resulting pointy nose also should help with wind resistance (i.e. fuel mileage) and may also help with stability in the wind, to some degree anyhow.

http://keystone-v.com/ for more info.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote