Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Extended Warranty

We bought our 2017 3160RL new and we are starting our 3rd year. We didn't buy it from Camping World, but they offered an extensive extended warranty which would cover just about everything as long as it wasn't a failure due to poor maintenance. The price was $3,500 for three years. We are very diligent with maintenance, but we have no control over AC/heat-pump, electric/LP refrigerator, furnace, vacuum components, or the Lippert leveling and the slide systems. We don't know the probabilities failures, but based on the forum discussions some of these items are very expensive. We do not full time, but take long weekends 15-20 times per year. We know all insurance is a gamble what are your thoughts and opinions?

lkennerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Before jumping on the band wagon with Camping World (Good Sam), take some time and go to RV.net and do some reading on their forums. Look at "Good Sam Extended Service Plans" form and "Camping World Service and Installation" forum. (and others if you're inquisitive).

I'm am NOT tell you don't use Good Sam. I just saying, do some reading first.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You are right it’s a gamble. You take the chance or pay someone else to take the chance knowing knowing they will make money off of someone if not you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
On average, extended warranties and extended service plans whether it is an expensive truck or a new coffee maker, they do not pay for themselves. Otherwise, companies would never sell them. They are a high profit item. BUT. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that have something high dollar go wrong, then you will feel you made the right choice. Some don't mind buying a plan that will likely not be needed just for the peace of mind on knowing repairs will be covered. Others decide to take the risk and keep that money in their pocket. And likely they will ultimately find they made the right choice. Some say they would put that $3,000 (or what ever) in a savings account to be their own warranty plan. But I suspect very few ever do that.

I have bought several over the years on my vehicles. One of those paid back in repairs about what the original cost of the plan was, essentially breaking even. All the others paid back very little because there were few if any repairs needed. It is a gamble either way. Just a matter of which way you want to bet.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are a number of GOOD extended warranty companies. Do a Search here to find them. GS is not one of them. RichFAA has posted about his use of several plans that he is pleased with. I think one was Wholesale Warrantys but I am not sure. I have used EZ Care since day one. It was $1600 the first time and $1800 he second. So far they have paid out over $10,000 on my repairs (refers cost a lot).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I assume that you are referring to the Good Sam Warranty, One of the nice things about that warranty and some others is you can cancel them at any time for and receive a prorated refund. RV systems are not overly complictated and those that have some DIY skills likely would not benefit as much, however if you do not have those skills or the desire then a Warranty is a reasonable expense.

Look, you may not use all the value of $3K in aftermarket warranty services but more than likely in the next couple years you would use some of it (maybe all and more of it) in that case it is not a total loss and there is value in Peace of mind.

Personally the Good Sam warranty is reasonably priced and gives you the right to quit at any time. I say try it for 1 season. I did have a warranty on my Class A we just sold however there were systems there that could cost a fortune to repair on a RV that has a drive train, whereas on a 5er there is not too much in terms of individual services/repairs that would exceed the $3k by it self, collectively a slightly different story.

I am also considering but likely the high deductible plans to minimize the loss in the event of non use.

Look I have spent probably 50K for vehicle insurance over the last 20 years and never had a claim, I pay $25K a year in medical insurance and never once had any benefits paid out (Never exceeded the deductible, knock on wood), If I had applied the insurance companies are in it for the profit argument thus making insurance a waste of $$$ I would be a lot wealthier but there is also the argument had I had catastrophic claims it was money well spent. There is something to be said about the cost of Peace of mind. Even though I could have self insured just was not a risk I was willing to take with my financial future. So I see the small cost of RV insurance is a reasonable peace of mind expense.

It is not the fact of IF I have a claim but WHEN that is the $3000 question...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkennerly View Post
We bought our 2017 3160RL new and we are starting our 3rd year. We didn't buy it from Camping World, but they offered an extensive extended warranty which would cover just about everything as long as it wasn't a failure due to poor maintenance. The price was $3,500 for three years. We are very diligent with maintenance, but we have no control over AC/heat-pump, electric/LP refrigerator, furnace, vacuum components, or the Lippert leveling and the slide systems. We don't know the probabilities failures, but based on the forum discussions some of these items are very expensive. We do not full time, but take long weekends 15-20 times per year. We know all insurance is a gamble what are your thoughts and opinions?

This question is asked many times on this forum. It actually comes down to YOUR risk tolerance, plane and simple. Personally we have had 2 Montana's and had extended warranties on both. In the last year of the warranty on our 2005, the refrigerator went out, needed to be replaced, our warranty paid for everything. This more than paid for the initial cost of the warranty. Hope this helps.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote