Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #21
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Rich- I got Progressive thru RV America and mine is 540.00 for 45K and full replacement in first 5 years. We have had Progressive ion other rvs and boats and they respond pretty quickly if you need to use it.
On another note, I just got to see my new 3475RL with gel-coat and it came in at 11240 UVW, add water and full gas and it leaves 2200CCC. Not bad I thought. The sales rep said that Keystone does weigh each individual rv before sending units out. We will see I guess. I remember that the 06 without out the gel coat weighed 10500 at the show so maybe it might be right on target. Thought you may want to know since you had posted about this issue relating to gel-coat and dual pane, we did not go for dual. Hope it helps.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ejc1214 11240 with gel coat 10500 without gel coat..gel coat 740 lbs on a 3475?. 3400& 3475 are about the same.So gel coat added 740lbs do you think that is correct??Also the quote for progressive on the 3400 was 456.00 for 42K and gkbutler the quote from formost was 708.00..The wording of the policies look the same and I could not figure out why formost was so much higher??? we are still doing homework.. This information is a great help....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Rich,
Not sure if the gel-coat added the full 700lbs. I do know that mine has new caps and maybe the new mid 2006 have some other slight changes that added some weight. Not sure about that. I do know that last 5th I owned was a Dutchmen and that rig was almost right on the money with the weight sticker. I am hoping that this one is same. will have to weigh it in the next week weeks and see what the scale says.
I live in NC and insurance is regulated differently from NY, where I am originally from, so maybe different states have different rates?

Ed
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #24
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Just a note on insurance for RVs...This past year when we got our new RV, I priced various company's rates (Good Sam etc). I did find some a little cheaper than Allstate (with whom we have our vehicles & homeowners). We've been with them for about 40 yr, so when I called our agent and discussed it with him he was really open with me. He said that if we were going to move our RV insurance, we should also move our truck insurance. He explained that if we were in an accident, there could be problems deciding which company would pay--truck or RV, and a lot of haggling and finger-pointing. Payment could be delayed etc., etc., etc. We opted to stay with Allstate who has been extremely generous in settling claims in the past. Knowing your agent helps too.
Good luck
Ronni
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 AM   #25
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
ronnilu, That is exactly what my agent said,,,about the rv and truck I mean. My insurance is a local in Louisiana,Farm Bureau. They handle all my needs,Trucks,rv,antique Corvette, boat,house,etc. Thus i get a very good price. When I added the Monty it was only 218.00 a year additional
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:10 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ronnilu..My guess is that you are correct about that..In our tornado incident the first thing the insurance company asked us was..were you hooked to the truck or unhooked..were you stopped or moving.. My point is and what I am finding out is..A Fifth wheel/ Travel trailer is more like a house than a truck/car so
you need to make sure that your AUTO insurance covers all aspects of your RV and under what conditions.. It is always a good idea to have ALL your insurance with one company Convenience and discounts.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #27
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
If you are going to be a full time RVer, you should get full time RV insurance. There was a thread on this a few months ago. I think there are four or five insurance companies that have full time RV insurance. The majority of the major insurance companies will issue a rider on your car or homeowner insurance to cover your RV. We had to change our insurance company when we moved to Fl because the company we had for almost twenty years does offer insurance in Florida where we have established residency. The agent for the major insurance company we now have told us he could add our Monty to our car insurance for about $35.00 per month. When I asked if that was fulltime RV insurance or a rider on my car insurance, he told me it was a rider. I passed. Make sure you check. Most major companies don't offer full time coverage for those of us who fulltime.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #28
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Is anyone familiar with the Good Sam Coverage? I'm thinking about getting it. It covers a lot of the major, costly break-downs. I will be calling them tomorrow about the cost of their insurance coverage.
Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #29
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have GMAC through "Good Sams" We pay around $250 every six months. We have 3 other vehicles with them too, so we get a discount. Going to put our stick house with them next year. Have to wait a year to change because of a hail claim on our stick house. We will save about $500 a year on our stick house with GMAC.

We also have the Good Sams road emergency insurance. That also covers all your vehicles too when driving, incase of a flat and etc.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rudi and Ellen

Is anyone familiar with the Good Sam Coverage? I'm thinking about getting it. It covers a lot of the major, costly break-downs. I will be calling them tomorrow about the cost of their insurance coverage.
I would of course check into it on your own. Good Sam CSP coverage was the HIGHEST quote by far.Progressive , right now is the most reasonable.We have another 6 months before we would have to change..IF we change from our present company.This Insurance checking is something we do every 3 years or so.To many folks get complacent with the company they have had for years and never check to see if there are better rates.We also give our present company a chance to REEVALUATE our coverage.We did that 3 years ago with our present company and guess what..the rates were lower..
And yes by all means keep the Tv and Rv on the same policy in terms of Insurance..The Rv can stand alone with a different company for WARRANTY insurance if need be.. These are things I am finding out in my homework on Insurance.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We had State Farm, EVERYTHING we own was insured with them, multiple cars, home, cameras, computers, lots of little riders, and the TT. Then we bought Montana, you don't want to know what they wanted to charge us, fee was based on MSRP, NOT what we paid for it, but they would not pay out a claim on what we paid for it if we totaled it, but on a depreciated value. The deductable was low, we raised it a bunch, the rate went down. There was no rider talked about, there was no additional discount cause we had our entire collection insured with them. In Michigan, or so we were told, the fees for a RV are set, cause you can move it around, it does have wheels! When we moved out of the tri-county area (Wayne Oakland Washtenaw) rates on our cars dropped quite a bit, but not the RV. We ended up going with State Farm for one year, and then Al shopped, he ended up at Progressive. We will be checking on this truck and RV needing to be insured at same company stuff tho!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, How are the RV fees/taxes in MI? Hate to really hear the answer. As we are going FT, I was thinking of going with Alternative Resources out of SD for residency BEFORE I buy our Montana, as I'm thinking the savings on registrtation, fees, and taxes could be substantial? Sure would like your input on this from a Michigander viewpoint.

*On Edit~ On insurance, too?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, insurance, we thought State Farm was way out of line, we have NO experience with other carriers as we have been SF for a very long time.

In Michigan you are gonna get hit with that one time license fee for the Montana, our fee for that was $300. BUT, we will never buy another plate for Montana as long as we own her.

You will pay 6% sales tax as well, unless you can get the dealer to cough it up for you. Our price on Montana was all inclusive, taxes and plates, as that was before the one time license came up in Michigan.

I think that covers it???
Old 02-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have seen the "Permanent Trailer" licenses. Have never purchased one, but it sounds like it's not a bad deal.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #35
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
As long as you don't buy a new rig (also utility and boat trailers) every 2 years or so, then it may save some coin. If you are a frequent trader, you are in a bit of a fix, or lighter in the pocket book.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, for the input, Carol. Probably hang on to this unit for a few years, for sure.