Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
All you guys in the PNW

OK, here’s the deal. Not towing.
My granddaughter will be in a national volleyball qualifying tournament in Spokane the last weekend of March, 2020. My son and his wife have never been to Seattle. He wants to fly into Seattle, drive over to Spokane for the tournament, and drive back to Seattle to spend a few days sightseeing. And wants my wife and I to join them. We have been there but years ago, and in the summer.
So my question(s). Considering it is late March, but still at the tail end of winter, and highly variable weather, how likely will it be there would be a problem getting thru the mountains (or any other area) on I-90 at that time? Would not want to wake up Friday morning for the drive from Seattle to Spokane only to find out the pass is closed due to heavy snow.
And what is typical Seattle weather that time of year? And Spokane for that matter?

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Ask Google
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The Seattle weather will be wet. There is a fair chance that Snolqualmie Pass will have closures either for avalanche control or due to conditions. It is a major, major commerce thoroughfare so WSDOT does all they can to minimize the impact. All that said check the pass respires daily when needed and adjust your plans accordingly. You should be fine. Now on the rare occasion Seattle gets a snow dump. It’s been a few years but when it happens we don’t know what to do. It’s kind of like when that bright ball in the sky appears between November and April.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My primary concern would be not being able to get to Spokane on time for the tournament start. Another option would be to fly into Portland and drive to Spokane. A little longer but would avoid any mountain passes. I would guess I-84 thru the Columbia River Gorge would be much less a snow concern than I-90 from Seattle.
Then we could drive to Seattle after the tournament, sightsee, and fly back from Seattle. Multi city air fares are not much different from round trip same city fares. We have done that a number of times over the years. And rent car drop off charges are minimal as long as they are major cities.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Either way should work. It is weather forecasting however and no one knows for certain what’s coming. It’s really rare that the passes are closed for more than 24 hrs
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote