Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #21
BrendaFaye

M.O.C. #18170
We are newbies. Haven't picked up our Montana yet. But we bought the 3950 BR so I have an actual sewing room. I won't leave home without my Bernina.

BrendaFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:24 AM   #22
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Of course with my DW being an avid quilter we adapt each floor plan that we have so we can bring along the projects and supplies she needs/wants. We have also used the drawer under the sofa bed for a lot of supplies previously but now with the home theater seating we have found other nooks and crannies to work with.

The 3950 would provide a dedicated area for quilting for sure. It's just not the floor plan for us.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #23
BrendaFaye

M.O.C. #18170
So glad we all have the various options to choose from!!!
BrendaFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #24
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Wife has her sewing machine and quilting projects with us all the time. Just like I have my laptop with me working on genealogy / family tree projects and travel plans.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #25
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
yup... two of my 3 back cabinets are full of sewing stuff (projects in progress, quilt material, etc). My Pfaff sits on the floor, under the dining room table, against the outside wall (right over the wheels... with the independent suspension system). Figured that was the smoothest place to put it... no room anywhere else.

You never know when you might be somewhere and either there is nothing to do OR you encounter another sewer and ... well... you know how that goes.

Are you coming to rally? Bring your machine. If there is any open time in the building, those of us who like to sew can go up and play. Make sure you have long extension cords since I have no idea how abundant or how far the outlets are. AND... if you don't have a wheeled cart to haul your stuff, I bought a luggage carrier and I load my machine and bags on that and just wheel it in to any given location.

Helen LaScola

Snowhawk
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I take my sewing machine with me when we go for the winter. But, when we go for short trips I leave it home. For 2 reasons: 1. Bouncing around in the RV can be hard on the machines. 2. I don't want to be sewing when I can be seeing other sights and/or friends/people. I don't want to miss the fun and I can sew when I get home.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #27
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Understood. The bouncing is pretty much non existant with the independent wheel suspension and as heavy as my machine is, I leave it in there all summer and if I need it, I fight to get it out. During the winter, it sits out in front of one side of the sofa. I rarely sew at home.
We have reduced our summer trips to 2 or 3 and I have a ton of yard work all summer (and house work) so my machine rarely, if ever, sees the light of day when we are home. All the neighbors are working so we don't see anyone in the neighborhood except for a passing "hi" and I have not yet met anyone in the neighborhood who sews. There are groups near here but by the time I get done working the yard or keeping up with trying to declutter the house I have no interest in starting anything like sewing. It is my winter occupation and there I have a blast.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #28
NoLimits

M.O.C. #25117
Almost any machine will work on these light fabrics that we use in our DIY projects. The only time you might want or need a heavier machine is when you are working on thick straps for backpacks or tree straps. Generally speaking most people in this forum will suggest not spending a lot and look for used machines that will do the trick. Borrowing machines from a grandma or otherwise is a good way to get a hold of a great machine for basically free.

Buying something new is an option but what I ended up doing was browsing through craigslist. I found a lady selling the following machine for 75 dollars.
https://www.amazon.com/Janome-2212-S...=janome+sewing

It was basically new since someone purchased it for a class and never even used it. It was also freshly serviced. I came away with the machine for $50 dollars after some easy negotiation. The machine can sew through thick straps and all the stuff I could possibly want for a DIY project. It doesn't fuss over tension like some other machines I have worked with. And best of all, all it took was about 30 minutes of browsing Craigslist.

My suggestion is not to invest a lot! Try to find a bargain by borrowing or purchasing something used. Some of the very old all metal machines are a huge bargain and perform their job better than most new machines! Keep your mind open.