Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #61
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Hi Gary I just double checked my sticker and it says ST235/80R16E So I guess they downgraded tires out on us. I now wonder if the rims can handle G rated tires.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #62
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Hi Gary I just double checked my sticker and it says ST235/80R16E So I guess they downgraded tires out on us. I now wonder if the rims can handle G rated tires.
I seem to remember when I was buying tires for my previous trailer, I found out the wheels have a code on them that tells you what PSI they are rated for. One thing for sure is steel valve stems are a must. Rubber will not hold that kind of pressure
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #63
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
My 2017 HC 370 BR arrived with the Rainier LR F tires. From the dealer to the tire shop and had Sailun LR G installed. My rims are rated to 110 PSI. Not sure of your model but some have the 6000# axels and that along with gvwr may be the reason.

OEM steps too, thankfully. Wifey and I are only pushing 70 and they are less problem than the new ones for us and the dogs. One boy is nearly 18 and once carpeted he has no problem either. Would not walk in any on the lots with the new step systems. Maybe when we get old and weak?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #64
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
My 2018 379RD is rated for 1000 lbs more. Here is pix my rim. Cold front came through and i is still dark so checking axles will have to wait.

Getting back on topic, When we were looking at 5ers I went over to a Montana that had the StepOver steps. I liked them better. than the "spring boards" steps. They are easier to lift up and stow compared to my sticky "spring board" steps. They come with a handrail, and you can remove the old steps and add storage. As far as steps bringing in dirt goes, a broom and our entry rug would fix that.

I brought up the twisting because the tech had brought it up. He has had to work on some that were twisted. If yours do not then great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3959[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1192  
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #65
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Linda and I have them in our 2017 3791RD, and love them. Only draw back is when it rains and they get wet. If you have carpet on them it is worse as when you put them in, you must put a towel or something down at the base or you will have water all over the place! Had to put the carpet on ours due to our pets. Would not go up the steps. Good l;uck!
Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #66
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
With the optional handrail that you can get for these steps, does anyone know how far into the unit they go when in transport mode? Basically wondering how much clearance is needed to use that handrail.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #67
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
From the StepAbove Qualifer document on their website:

If you are purchasing the optional handrail - if there is anything on
the left hand side of the unit closer than 33", as you face the door,
then the hand rail would have to be removed.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #68
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
From the StepAbove Qualifer document on their website:

If you are purchasing the optional handrail - if there is anything on
the left hand side of the unit closer than 33", as you face the door,
then the hand rail would have to be removed.
The handrail mounts on the inside of the framework of the steps. If the steps clear the handrail will clear
Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #69
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
With the optional handrail that you can get for these steps, does anyone know how far into the unit they go when in transport mode? Basically wondering how much clearance is needed to use that handrail.
I don't know how far but here is a picture of it mounted
http://www.campingworld.com/stepabov...SABEgID9vD_BwE
Old 02-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #70
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
We've been camping the last 5 days and just returned home. The addition of the steps was fantastic. The only problem I've had is that with the addition of the Lexan on the screen door to make it a "storm door" or as I like to call it, my "AC on door" the door sages just enough that it drags on the threshold of the new steps. When you go to open the door form the outside, it pops the screen door loose requiring you to open two doors instead of them opening together. I trimmed the Lexan prior to the trip and it's out of the way, it's the door sweep on the screen door that keeps bunching up and causing it to stick. I'll figure out a remedy for that, but just wanted to let you know that they are a great addition for us.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #71
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
We've been camping the last 5 days and just returned home. The addition of the steps was fantastic. The only problem I've had is that with the addition of the Lexan on the screen door to make it a "storm door" or as I like to call it, my "AC on door" the door sages just enough that it drags on the threshold of the new steps. When you go to open the door form the outside, it pops the screen door loose requiring you to open two doors instead of them opening together. I trimmed the Lexan prior to the trip and it's out of the way, it's the door sweep on the screen door that keeps bunching up and causing it to stick. I'll figure out a remedy for that, but just wanted to let you know that they are a great addition for us.
Golfmedik, I am interested in how you modified your screen door to turn it into "storm door". My primary interest is adding plexiglass to the bottom screen section that my best friend wants to go through. Did you glue it in or use screws and how thick of plexiglass?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #72
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
To keep your door from sagging, you can buy a kit at lowes etc that consists of 2 rods with a turn buckle in the middle to adjust.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #73
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
I just installed the Solid Steps from LCI. I had the same problem with the sweep on the screen door. I just opened the channel on the bottom and slid the sweep out, no more problem.
BTW the steps are great.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #74
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Golfmedik, I am interested in how you modified your screen door to turn it into "storm door". My primary interest is adding plexiglass to the bottom screen section that my best friend wants to go through. Did you glue it in or use screws and how thick of plexiglass?
I have as write up somewhere about it. I bought the Lexan at a glass dealer the size of the door, used a "roto-zip" type tool to cut it out and shape it, bought 3/4" industrial Velcro and put it on the outside edges as well as the center cross pieces around the slide. It's held up well in the heat of the south now for about a year. If I remember correctly, it was 1/8" thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
To keep your door from sagging, you can buy a kit at lowes etc that consists of 2 rods with a turn buckle in the middle to adjust.
I have actually thought about this very thing. My grandmother's screen door had one on it when I was little. It's the only thing I could think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I just installed the Solid Steps from LCI. I had the same problem with the sweep on the screen door. I just opened the channel on the bottom and slid the sweep out, no more problem.
BTW the steps are great.
I considered this as well, especially after I hit the hinge side of the sweep with the grinder
Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #75
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
I have as write up somewhere about it. I bought the Lexan at a glass dealer the size of the door, used a "roto-zip" type tool to cut it out and shape it, bought 3/4" industrial Velcro and put it on the outside edges as well as the center cross pieces around the slide. It's held up well in the heat of the south now for about a year. If I remember correctly, it was 1/8" thick.
I suspect this is the post Goldmedik referred to:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70754

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #76
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Thanks Carl - how do you remember all this stuff?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #77
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:

I have actually thought about this very thing. My grandmother's screen door had one on it when I was little. It's the only thing I could think of.

I considered this as well, especially after I hit the hinge side of the sweep with the grinder
Golfmedic, Did you glue the velcro to the door and plexiglass?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #78
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Thanks Carl - how do you remember all this stuff?
The MOC Google Search is your friend.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 AM   #79
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
I suspect this is the post Goldmedik referred to:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70754
Thank you!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #80
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Golfmedic, Did you glue the velcro to the door and plexiglass?
No, I used the sticky back industrial Velcro after cleaning the door frame with alcohol. It is available on Amazon in pretty long rolls. I think I may have used right at 25 feet considering I put it up both sides, top & bottom and both cross pieces where the door handle is.