Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Braked / Unbraked Towing Capacity....??

At the risk of contributing to the never ending discussions on tow vehicle capacities, I thought I'd pass on something interesting.

Had a conversation with a retired co-owner of a car dealership awhile back. The topic of RVing and tow vehicles came up. He told me that there is such a specification called "Braked Towing Capacity" as well as "Unbraked Towing Capacity" for every vehicle rated to tow something. It is a subset of the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating).

"Braked Towing Capacity" is the towing capacity of the tow vehicle if it is towing a trailer that has fully functioning brakes. (Not 100% sure how they define "fully functioning".)

"Unbraked Towing Capacity" is the towing capacity of the tow vehicle if it towing a trailer that does not have brakes or the brakes on it have failed.

Has anyone else ever heard of these ratings? The retired dealer owner said that these braked/unbraked ratings are not usually made public knowledge. If a fellow had an accident while towing, would the authorities or insurance companies use these ratings?

Or..........Was the fellow blowing smoke up my @#$?

2009 Volvo 730 Custom RV Hauler & 2013 SmartCar
2017 Montana 3790rd
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kevin,

Have heard of it but not seen charts. Seems like common sense. If I remember right the heaviest trailer in the non brake category is in the 2000 lb range. It doesn't come anywhere near a consideration for our rigs.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
never heard of it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had never heard of it. But it is a real thing. Google it.

One example;
https://www.kbb.com/what-is/towing-capacity/
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've heard of weight limits for trailers that do not have brakes. It is a law moreso than a rating for the tow vehicle.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Brakes properly working is the key. However the operator/driver, is the real key. I've been around Trucks, big and small my entire life. I'm also a retired over the Road Truck driver. I have driven most all sizes of Trucks, transported many different loads, also heavy oversized construction equipment. I'm not an expert, but, I can and have safely ran a million miles+, no accidents. Never operate a truck without good brakes, on the trailer also. I really believe ALL 5th wheels should have disk brakes, we have had disk brakes installed on two of our 5th wheels. If I was to order a 5th wheel I would order the disk brakes option, on any trailer 40' long. Just my opinion.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote