Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Gotta Love Springtime Surprises!

Well... who here has a love hate relationship with RV’s!?!?

So Spring has sprung up here in the ‘Great White North’ and that means getting the unit out of storage and tackling my RV to-do list. Our 3854BR was new to us last August and with a growing list of repairs (minor) that go with a new unit, I was looking forward to tackling some of these as warranty parts slowly rolled in over the winter months...

For those wondering, I have a great relationship with our dealership and they have come to understand that my level of OCD far exceeds the level of any of their techs... Therefore, a lot of my minor repair items are completed my me!

Anyway... first on the list was to replace the faulty Power Transfer Switch. I’m so glad I dug into this problem on my own (with much help from this forum) and was able to witness first hand (again) how poorly these things are thrown together on the assembly line. I couldn’t help but laugh when reading through the documentation from Progressive Dynamics when it clearly states how the transfer switch needs to be installed (horizontal bs vertical) as the wrong way will “greatly reduce product lifespan). Now which way do you think the unit was installed at the factory, right way or wrong way?? Unreal!

Aside from that my other tasks were minor things such as...
Replacing both reverse lights (water inside lens),
Replacing a daytime shade that had a broken tensioner spring,
Replacing the Furrion camera housing that was cracked from new as a result of over tightening,
Replacing the outside kitchen mini fridge, and
Replacing all the exterior Montana decals as they never properly adhered to the full-body paint. This has yet to be done and will be done by an automotive body shop. ** funny story about these decals... it too Keystone three attempts to get these decals right. I had originally included pictures of my defective decals on the unit (Keep in mind, legacy package, full body paint). First the send me the decals the flat decals that come on a straight Montana, Wrong! Then they send me raised letter decals that come on a Montana w/ Legacy package, Wrong! Finally they get it right and send me the raised letter decals that coincide with full body paint!

Anyway..... (As I write my novel here). As I’m piecing Humpty Dumpty back together again, I notice this!! All three exterior hatch doors (pass through and outside kitchen) have water damage on the inside panel, see pictures. Has anybody ever had such an issue? I’ve had a good look and cannot see where water is entering. Is it not strange that the water damage is on all three doors? Would love to hear any thoughts or input on this. I’m also worried that if they agree to replace under warranty, how will the match the paint scheme lines as I’m sure when they put these things in the paint booth it’s not laser precision. Thoughts?//

Thanks all, for hearing me out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63C8E96A-8394-4222-ADFF-CABBC25F6E14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	8904   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B047399-C2EA-4839-94D6-7BC87A458F32.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	8905   Click image for larger version

Name:	59AF231F-A981-4CA5-AE33-0E522942CB3B.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	8906   Click image for larger version

Name:	83219FC5-E540-4286-B29A-BAC2EBE8D479.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	8907  

2019 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab DRW
Josh_713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My last camper was a Keystone Outback and I had a similar problem with all my doors, almost from the day I took delivery of the trailer. Only, mine actually dripped water. There are weep holes in the bottom (when the door is closed) that allows water to drain if (when) it gets inside the doors. Often times, I had a puddle of rusty looking water puddling on the track the door seats in. I had that trailer for 5 years and never did figure out what was allowing water to get inside the doors. After a while, I just gave up trying to find a solution. What so so strange was, sometimes water would be dripping from the bottom of the doors when it had been perfectly dry for days and days, then sometimes, it was perfectly dry after massive rain storms. I trided spraying with garden hoses and different sprayers. I could never get it to drip when I tried. It still remains a mystery to me.

I do know, these baggage doors do have weep holes in them. Maybe water is weeping "in" instead of "out." That's the only thing I can figure?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Josh since your unit is a 2020, is it still under warranty? Also who was your dealer? I would go to the dealer and have them file a warranty repair with Keystone and see if Keystone comes back to repair or replace the doors. I would also call Keystone about a week or so after your dealer says they have file with Keystone (be sure to have your Vin# so they can check via that) and see if they actually have ( some say they do but they actually do not). If Keystone says they do not have a file started on your unit ask them to start one for your unit, then go back to the dealer and give them the file number Keystone has given you. Remember honey is better than vinegar when you talk to the Keystone Customer Rep. Stay calm, explain the problem, and ask for any help they can give you. If you get mad and etc at the Rep, it just turns them off and you will get nowhere. Let us know what comes of this.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The water is getting inside the doors at the latches, AND around the edge at the aluminum extrusion that's not sealed to the outside. I sealed all of mine with Lexel clear sealant (very good stuff) and they stopped leaking.

Mark
Old 04-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
I did the same as Mark with silicone. Both doors were replaced under warranty and did the same thing until I sealed above the hinge. Once door dried out the blister went away.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #6
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
My last camper was a Keystone Outback and I had a similar problem with all my doors, almost from the day I took delivery of the trailer. Only, mine actually dripped water. There are weep holes in the bottom (when the door is closed) that allows water to drain if (when) it gets inside the doors. Often times, I had a puddle of rusty looking water puddling on the track the door seats in. I had that trailer for 5 years and never did figure out what was allowing water to get inside the doors. After a while, I just gave up trying to find a solution. What so so strange was, sometimes water would be dripping from the bottom of the doors when it had been perfectly dry for days and days, then sometimes, it was perfectly dry after massive rain storms. I trided spraying with garden hoses and different sprayers. I could never get it to drip when I tried. It still remains a mystery to me.

I do know, these baggage doors do have weep holes in them. Maybe water is weeping "in" instead of "out." That's the only thing I can figure?
Thanks DS, I have noticed those weeping holes but haven’t seen any water on the sill. Perhaps these holes are clogged up with debris, therefore keeping any water from draining...? I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Josh since your unit is a 2020, is it still under warranty? Also who was your dealer? I would go to the dealer and have them file a warranty repair with Keystone and see if Keystone comes back to repair or replace the doors. I would also call Keystone about a week or so after your dealer says they have file with Keystone (be sure to have your Vin# so they can check via that) and see if they actually have ( some say they do but they actually do not). If Keystone says they do not have a file started on your unit ask them to start one for your unit, then go back to the dealer and give them the file number Keystone has given you. Remember honey is better than vinegar when you talk to the Keystone Customer Rep. Stay calm, explain the problem, and ask for any help they can give you. If you get mad and etc at the Rep, it just turns them off and you will get nowhere. Let us know what comes of this.
Rondo... The unit was manufactured just before the turnover (mid summer) to the 2021’s. I took ownership on July 31st, 2020, so I should be covered.

I know exactly what you mean when you say ‘honey is better than vinegar’. With our last Monty (2016 3820FK), we had plenty of issues and finally after a year of back and forth with Keystone Warranty dept, they reimbursed me $2500 for “out of service time”. So yeah, you’re right... sometimes it does pay to keep your cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
The water is getting inside the doors at the latches, AND around the edge at the aluminum extrusion that's not sealed to the outside. I sealed all of mine with Lexel clear sealant (very good stuff) and they stopped leaking.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Barbara View Post
I did the same as Mark with silicone. Both doors were replaced under warranty and did the same thing until I sealed above the hinge. Once door dried out the blister went away.
Thanks guys, looks like I’ve got some caulking in my future. If only they thought of this at the factory...

Old 04-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
So got an email from the dealership saying that Keystone warranty dept wants a quote from a local body shop on what they would charge to paint all three doors to match the paint scheme... Once they have a quote they will decide the “course of action”.

Id like to get some thoughts on this...? Good on Keystone for the prompt reply but I’ll admit, I’m a little nervous about paint matching and quality of work with following the current paint scheme lines etc.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have had many paint jobs done on my full body painted Big Sky. The local shop has done a perfect job each time matching the paint and the lines. Just be sure it is a shop experienced with RVs!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Josh-- You can get the numbers and brand of paint that Keystone uses from them once you get your estimates and a good paint shop should be able to get the paint to match exactly. A good paint shop that has RV experience can match your lines and all with no problem also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
epicpow

M.O.C. #26910
We have a 2020 3855BR as well (not full body paint) with the same issue on all three baggage doors. I recently had it in for some warranty work at our local dealer and photos were submitted for warranty but denied by Keystone. I was told that this is normal and just the way the fiberglass is bonded to the foam core. There is no delamination and when you press on the door it is solid (no water damage seems to be present). Our unit is under warranty through August so I am going to continue to monitor and bring it back in if necessary. Any thoughts?
epicpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicpow View Post
We have a 2020 3855BR as well (not full body paint) with the same issue on all three baggage doors. I recently had it in for some warranty work at our local dealer and photos were submitted for warranty but denied by Keystone. I was told that this is normal and just the way the fiberglass is bonded to the foam core. There is no delamination and when you press on the door it is solid (no water damage seems to be present). Our unit is under warranty through August so I am going to continue to monitor and bring it back in if necessary. Any thoughts?

So I have submitted all pictures AND paint quote from a local auto body shop.

Standing by to see what Keystone warranty decides...

Will keep you all updated.