Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Don't Put It Off

This Memorial day I got to thinking about an old friend I had served with in VN. I located his address and another close buddies address last year. I contacted my buddy in Ohio but put off going to see the one in Illinois. I knew I would be back within 50 miles of his town last month, but again put off looking him up. His obit was in a local paper today, now after 46 years our reunion will never happen. He ended up having 8 kids and over 22 grandkids. I had no idea. Now the only thing I can do is try to get back for visitation and let our buddy in Ohio know of his passing.

Any of you vets out there putting off reaching out to lost buddies, don't hesitate any longer. Last year TogetherWeServed helped me locate one.

RIP Mark Aberle. You were a good friend when we were young and always looked out for others. Walk with God old friend.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Well said! Welcome home Brother.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Racing toward, into, and past our 70's, those old friends are going to start disappearing faster. Enjoy them while you can.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We met some wonderful people from Ohio while in Florida a few years back. We had visited them a few times along our travels and two years ago we visited them on the way home from Florida. He had cancer and no one knew how long he still had. He passed away six weeks after our visit. We are so glad we went when we did as it was the last time we saw him. We still visit her of course.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Sorry for your loss but thanks for your wise advice. Along those same lines, don't put off to "someday" your dreams and plans. I have a close friend and co-worker in his early 50s who just got diagnosed with cancer. It confirmed my decision to retire as soon as I can (next year if all goes well) to allow me to pursue plans to travel this country and experience the beauty she offers and all the friends we meet along the way.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree I remember my Dad saying that when you are 30 the chances you will see 60 are good. When you are 60 the chances you will see 90 are not so good and there are not to many 90 years old Rvers out there..

retire as soon as you can and enjoy what is left.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
To all who read this wonderful forum,

Life is too short to not be with the people you wish to be around and not do the things we wish to do with all of those loved ones.

This revelation came to me a little over a decade ago after a vehicle incident with my family coming back from my sister's wedding.

From that day forward, everything that I need to do to support the first statement is what gets priority. Everything else is simply noise I have to deal with in support of the first statement.

To all of our veterans and first responders, THANK YOU for you service.

As my Navy friends would say, fair winds and following seas to all here.
allmi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Some very good advise and wise words spoken. None of us know what tomorrow will bring.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Clays390
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17212
I remember visiting my Dad when he was in his early 70's. He told me he didn't like looking at the obituaries in the paper. He said there were more and more of his friends in there all the time. That and a bout with cancer seem to give you a different perspective on life. Retire as soon as possible and enjoy your friends and family while you can.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Welcome home brother! It has been nearly 50 years since I left Nam, or most of me did. Only 1 on my team I cannot locate, the rest have passed and he may have as well. My dad passed at age 60 on the job, only 2 years from the retirement he was looking forward to. I retired at 55 ~~~ 14 years ago and plan on hanging around awhile.
God bless all the Nam vets ~ and especially those our govt left behind.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
Clays390
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17212
Welcome home to all the VietNam vets. Spent 71-73 in the gulf. 294 days underway in 72. Only time we got hit was by our own air force.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks for all the Welcome Home comments and good thoughts! Just a follow up note to others who were in country. When I initially called my buddy in Ohio to inform him of Mark's passing, at the end of our conversation he told me he had bern diagnosed with bladder cancer recently. While talking to Mark's relatives at his visitation I discovered that his battle with cancer began a couple years ago with bladder cancer. Needless to say I called our buddy in Ohio back and shared this info with him. Mark's family said the VA approved him for benefits right away because his cancer was likely caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Bladder and kidney cancers caused by AO (agent orange) are becoming more common and are many times immediately approved for assistance by the VA. Vets out there should at least make sure your civilian doctor is aware of your service and posible exposure. In Mark's case his doctor suspected a prostate issue, then they took his appendix out and found tumors before ever looking at bladder and thinking about AO.