Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
still don't have my new Monty

I am really having a difficult time getting my new 3625re Monty. Been a week now since they started doing the PDI. I have never seen so much stuff wrong with a new unit. My last one never even had a loose screw, this one doesn't have a tight one it would appear. After a week of work today they thought they finally had it ready to go tomorrow. We about 3pm today the frig quit. I understand that there is a lot of problems with the new Dometic side by side units. This one was working and just stopped. They have tried everything but nothing works. Soooooo I guess they are going to pull it out and put a new one in out of another unit. the bad part is they have to take it out a window which really ticks me off as now I have a window that has the seal broken. They had already replaced the door on this unit. Just about ready to tell them they own it and look for something else.
I had such good luck with my other Monty before my accident that I hate to give up but I am afraid This is a Friday afternoon junker. Anyone else have Dometic issues or anything like this? I heard them on the phone with Tech support for I bet 2 hrs today, that was interesting. A one sided scripted conversation, the tech at CW had more patience that I would have had. Well tomorrow is another day. We are testing the other Dometic before we pull it out. My fingers are crossed. Everything else is done even the propane door that was drill from the bottom and backwards. You can only imagine how that fit, good quality control at Keystone. Someone slept through that one also. Oh well up early for another day at CW. Joe

Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I just do not get it how one unit off the line will be a P.O.S. and some like mine must of been built by the Employee of the Month ,you would think the workers at Montana would be pretty consistent on building these things after 14 years of making them, I will be buying a new one soon but I am afraid I will get the one built on a Friday or a Monday It's a freak'in crap shoot, I should just keep the one I got "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I want a All in one bathroom and not a poopoo closet so It's time to Roll the Dice again
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
Best of luck, this has been a nightmare,or should I say a weekmare. Like you I just don't get it. The cabinet door latches (11) of them were bad and did not match up were broke and the hinges were sprung from going down the road in transit from this. ( 16) hinges replaced. This has been a classic. Hope you do better. Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I just do not get it how one unit off the line will be a P.O.S. and some like mine must of been built by the Employee of the Month ,you would think the workers at Montana would be pretty consistent on building these things after 14 years of making them, I will be buying a new one soon but I am afraid I will get the one built on a Friday or a Monday It's a freak'in crap shoot, I should just keep the one I got "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I want a All in one bathroom and not a poopoo closet so It's time to Roll the Dice again
Old 06-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You should call keystone and report this and send a copy of the post. They need to know... Mine is over 50 days in the shop.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
I know you you have really been having a time with yours. I guess I was really spoiled with the one I had the accident with. Issue free. That was what I expected from Montana and Keystone. The Cougars I had owned before Keystone brand were somewhat questionable but I put that off on as a cheaper model. Did not expect this from the Montana Brand. Real piece of Poop. I think the bottom line is their goal anymore like every business ( that is why everyone is closing, no quality control ). They cheapened everything up on this unit compared to my other one same model such as no light on the ceiling fan, no entry light at the door when it opens only in the hallway by bathroom, no light swith for that light any longer either. Numerous things left out to cut cost. Hope this is my last Unit I have to buy, If not the next one will probably be something else. I know they all have issues but 4 out of 5 from Keystone is not a good record. Hope you get yours back soon. Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

You should call keystone and report this and send a copy of the post. They need to know... Mine is over 50 days in the shop.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Thank goodness your Camping World is doing the PDI. The issues we had with ours were all easy fixes, but made it obvious that they didn't do a proper PDI. Loose water connection soaked the bathroom and a loose hydraulic connection left a puddle of fluid at the left front jack. Buckled linoleum in the front bathroom where is wasn't properly installed. All of these things would have been easily discovered if the system was actually pressure tested. I know for a fact that MANY units rolled out of that CW with problems that would have been discovered during a PDI.

In your position, I think I would tell them I wanted a different unit. I'm sure they could bring one in from another CW.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
As for the frig issue, ours came with the double door Nevercold. We have had goofy issues with it and furnace off and on, but I am convinced it all has to do with bad propane regulator. There have just been 3 or 4 other issues that have not been major so I think we are one of the lucky ones. When I read posts from Richfaa and you I really think Keystone's Quality Control must take days off or something.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hard to believe the problems you're having. You definitely have more patients than I do. A new Monty is not in our future right now. I have enough problems without buying more.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
If I was to buy another RV it would not be a Montana. The ONLY way they are going to do things differently is if their sales go down. DON'T buy Montana! There are other brands out there. As often as some of you buy, you should realize they are not going to change many things as long as their sales are where they want.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah but the problems are not Just Montana it is industry wide we have friends with other SOB's and they have the same stupid quality issues ,Like I said it is a Crapshoot, until Honda or Toyota start making RV's to shake things up like they did to the American Car companies it might not change
Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I would like to remind everyone that the said Dometic side by side fridge could have been installed in ANY make or model of rv, nuff said.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Hi Joe, I'd be asking CW to bring in a different rig. No way could I stand for this.

Jim

PS. Better come by for a drink, we leave for Co in a couple of weeks for 2 months.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I just do not get it how one unit off the line will be a P.O.S. and some like mine must of been built by the Employee of the Month "

I also do not understands how that can happen. We have had two Montana's the 06 3400 and now this 13 3402 Big sky. The 06 3400 according to my list had 46 problems most of then minor build quality problems except for frame flex, Axle shift, fridge failure five leaking holding tanks.

The 13 3402 has 28 to date again most minor except for fridge failure toilet failure , valve stem failure, two leaking holding tanks, front panel paint chipping

I do not understand how I get two Montana's nearly 7 years apart and have all these issues and others have "never had a problem " or " A few minor problems.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You guys are scareing me about trading for a new one. My '07 3075RL went back to the dealer one time shortly after delivery for a wiring problem to the fridge. They kept it 2 days.

Since then the 1/2 Time Appollo failed after about 4 years, the no name sound system failed about the same time, and the black tank flush valve failed last year. All those I replaced myself. Other than an occasional loose screw, nothing else. Not bad for 7 years.

May have to reconsider and just keep it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not forget that we are long timers and heavy users of the Montana's. 7 to 10K miles a year and 250 days plus living in it.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I absolutely agree... I believe you are being sent a message. Tell 'em to keep it and sell it to someone else. Tell them this is just business and that you want to buy, just not this one.
No need to sign up for years of unhappiness if you've already been forewarned.
Please understand that I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'd just hate to see you be disappointed in your new rig after spending big $$$. All the best no matter what you decide to do.

Quote:
quote:[i]
In your position, I'm not so I think I would tell them I wanted a different unit. I'm sure they could bring one in from another CW.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is sway to many problems off the assembly line. I would be requesting a Keystone rep to get involved.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Before buying my current rv at LazyDays, we came so close to buying the same model at CW. I believe they used that unit for parts to repair other Montana's. It was a left over. For what I can remember, It was missing those red and blue lines to drain the hot water tank, missing the door switch that turns on the lights when entering the rv. The ceiling light was missing etc, etc... Other issues were a leak in one of the slides, the unit looked like it could have been in a flood when looking underneath, it was caked with mud. Found out that the original dealer was in the Florida pan handle and now this unit was in Ocala Florida. Real dirty inside. At last minute got cold feet and canceled sale.

No wonder they were giving me a great price!
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I have a 2005 3295rk and while I've had few problems, after reading all the complaints about the problems these Montana's have been having over the last 10 years I've come to a few conclusions
1) Even though Keystone says they can be used for full timing or long timing, they really can't.
2) Looking at the current crop Keystone has really cheapened the brand
3) The build quality of "all" the newer units that I looked at is crap
4) Keystone really doesn't care as long as they are selling units.
5) richfaa you are to nice of a guy. Over 50 days in the shop is un-excusable when you are waiting for something stupid like the correct seals. It would seem to me like somebody is dropping the ball or they don't want to work on it because your warranty doesn't pay enough.
6) I highly doubt, in fact I know that when it comes time to replace my current 5er it will not be a Keystone product unless something drastic changes.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #20
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
They are put together by piece workers,it's a roll of the dice,your getting quantity,not quality
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote