Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2004, 02:43 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
leveling refrigerators

I just read an interesting article in Camper's World magazine that stated failure to keep your refrigerator level while running can cause long-term problems due to coolants and fluids forming in the wrong areas. I had always been under the impression that the leveling issue only had to do with the refrigerator being able to run or not. This is really news to me. Anyone have any experience with this issue and I'm wondering just HOW level level must be...

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Are they talking about having the trailer level when hooked up? Other than that how in the world would you keep the trailer level going down the road? Everything I have ever read says just the opposite. The fridge is never out of level in any one direction for any length of time so it really shouldn't matter. Unless it is really really hot your fridge will do just fine if it is shut off while you are driving, helps defrost it too.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:18 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Keeping it level, that is our understanding,

While traveling, not a problem, as it is rocking and rolling, UNLESS you stop for lunch or siteseeing and park in a really unlevel place.

While set up, if you have the rig reasonably level, doors don't slam shut when opened, and you can sleep on the bed without rolling off, they say you are OK.

While in storage, some people park rigs at some terrific angles, we are a little amazed sometimes to see how people park them for extended times. Our preference is to keep rig level all the time, and when stored we try to level the same as if we were going to be living in it.

Years ago we would occassionally see a camper with their frig outside at a campground. They would be "burping" it. Set it on one side for a few hours, then on the other side for a few hours. The theory was that they could unblock the refrigerant and get it past the air bubble that they claimed had formed. Not sure it ever worked, but was a sight to see.

With units with slides, don't you want them to be sitting pretty level so that the slides work properly??

We keep it pretty level, that said, you don't have to spend 6 hours leveling it at every campsite. (Silly Carol, but you get the idea!)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Ditto - what CountryGuy said. If it's reasonably level to walk and sleep in you're OK. While moving any gasses can move around because the refrigerator is in motion. When I set-up I try to get mine level so that the refrigerator and slides all work properly using a bubble level.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Looking at the way the tubes, etc. are on the back of the fridge, it seems that level front to rear is a bit more important than side to side (although you clearly want to be as close as possible both ways.) That's speculation on my part. Anyone heard anything like that before?
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:12 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You are stopping in a really sloped place just turn the fridge off then turn it back on when leaving. I know it was more of an issue years ago then it is now.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
From my understanding the problem is when the rig is sitting unlevel the liquid in the fridge tubes separates. Once it separates it apparently will not recombine, making the damage permanent and accumulative. I guess that's one reason older refrigerators that were not kept level when running tend to not cool so well. As other said, when on the road it's not a problem as the jostling on the road keeps it from separating. But when we stop somewhere and it's real offlevel I try to minimize the time we're parked there. Sometimes it's unavoidable so if we'll be more than a few minutes I'll shut off the fridge until we get back.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. I think with today's new fridge-keeping them level is not as difficult as it used to be. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote