Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
reav view extension mirrors

Can anyone recommend some rear view extension mirrors that will fit onto my existing mirrors? My existing ext mirrors will now allow me to see down the complete length of the Montana while backing up. Also, I was wondering if vibration or wind would make them come loose. I would hate to lose one since they are kind of pricy. They would need to fit on a 2006 chevy Silverado. Thanks all.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Is your Chevy one with the motor extension mirrors? I had a truck like that. I just added a concave (or canvex??) mirror out on the edge to see the side of me better.
I think you can maybe purchase these to replace other mirrors but may be expensive. The original mirrors weren't quite long enough to see perfectly behind but could tilt them in a little to see along side the trailer and use the concave ones to see beside me.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Is your Chevy one with the motor extension mirrors? I had a truck like that. I just added a concave (or canvex??) mirror out on the edge to see the side of me better.
I think you can maybe purchase these to replace other mirrors but may be expensive. The original mirrors weren't quite long enough to see perfectly behind but could tilt them in a little to see along side the trailer and use the concave ones to see beside me.
The mirrors I have on now are not motorized but they are collapsable. They have a larger mirror on top which is rectangle and one smaller rectangular one at the bottom which is convex. The whole frame of the mirror is rather large so maybe attaching extensions might be difficult. They are factory installed though.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
On both my 2006 and 2009 GMC's I have the same mirrors as you describe. They both extend by holding onto the mirrors and pulling them out manually to extend them. This gives me plenty of vision down the side of the trailer.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
My 07 has OEM mirrors that I can use to see all the way down the side.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bruiser

On both my 2006 and 2009 GMC's I have the same mirrors as you describe. They both extend by holding onto the mirrors and pulling them out manually to extend them. This gives me plenty of vision down the side of the trailer.
I've had this truck for 4 years now and wasn't aware the mirrors would extend out any farther. Thanks for the much needed info. Sorry for wasting everyones time.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
No question is a waste of time
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I think most of the members enjoy solving problems and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Don't be shy about asking questions.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol

[/quote]

I've had this truck for 4 years now and wasn't aware the mirrors would extend out any farther. Thanks for the much needed info. Sorry for wasting everyones time.
[/quote]

Don't feel like the lone ranger I had a 2000 Ford for two years before I learned the mirrors pulled out. It was an RV'er in Yellowstone Park that educated me. Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL... it's easy to feel bad about the question, but there are no dumb questions so don't worry about it! You were able to find out something about your truck you didn't know you had. Those free feature finds are GREAT especially ones that save you money!

On the same token I love those mirrors that extend when needed and retract when not needed, just as I have on my truck and am happy for you that you have them, too.

On my Ford there are two mirrors but the second blindspot mirror is positioned to see my rear tires (helps with parking, towing and curbs) so I added large round C-Betr convex mirrors that attach in the gap between the large side mirrors and the door. While this makes a lot of mirrors to look at, the side and rear visibility is great. The C-Betr is so large and convex I can actually see the top of the trailer when towing along with side traffic right next to me. Unfortunately, I don't think they are available to all truck mirrors. However, here's the link and maybe it could give you an idea how to retrofit this design for your side mirror configuration:

http://qwks.com/C-Betr-Mirror-Set-p-3.html
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #11
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
I checked that website, c-betr, and nothing was available for my application. In a situation like towing these big monsters, a person just can't get enough mirrors to look at the many things that can go wrong while breezing down the road. I did get a lot of good info from this question, so maybe I did learn something. Thanks to all who responded. Hope someone else learned something too.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

LOL... it's easy to feel bad about the question, but there are no dumb questions so don't worry about it! You were able to find out something about your truck you didn't know you had. Those free feature finds are GREAT especially ones that save you money!

On the same token I love those mirrors that extend when needed and retract when not needed, just as I have on my truck and am happy for you that you have them, too.

On my Ford there are two mirrors but the second blindspot mirror is positioned to see my rear tires (helps with parking, towing and curbs) so I added large round C-Betr convex mirrors that attach in the gap between the large side mirrors and the door. While this makes a lot of mirrors to look at, the side and rear visibility is great. The C-Betr is so large and convex I can actually see the top of the trailer when towing along with side traffic right next to me. Unfortunately, I don't think they are available to all truck mirrors. However, here's the link and maybe it could give you an idea how to retrofit this design for your side mirror configuration:

http://qwks.com/C-Betr-Mirror-Set-p-3.html