Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Good Sam Club

Does anyone participate in the Emergency Road Service or any of the extra services? Is the extra cost worth it? Any input for this newbie would be a great help.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:47 AM   #2
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
We have the emergency road service with Good Sams. Very happy with it. Shortly after we took it out my wife's car broke down and needed a tow to a local dealership. Calling the ERS, the tow truck was there within an hour. This one time need of a tow paid for the service. They are very pleasent to deal with. Would recomend the service.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:26 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have ERS and had to use it a couple of times. They were fast, efficient, and very helpful. The last time they came within an hour to change a tire that had a bulge on it with the spare, then put the damaged tire in the back of the truck. Finally, he checked all of the other tires for cuts and nicks, and tire pressures.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace

Does anyone participate in the Emergency Road Service or any of the extra services? Is the extra cost worth it? Any input for this newbie would be a great help.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:16 AM   #4
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace

I asked the same question a couple months back (if you do a search you may find it), originally I was very skeptical but there was a lot of good feedback. Since we didn't have towing on our car policies and we were planning a few 1,500 mile or further trips with our TT we opted for the first year. I think it came to $74 and they gave a $10 pre-paid phone card as a gift (not sure who to give that to). The down side of getting involved with Good Sams is they will bury you in junk mail also their are a lot of exclusions to their service they don't state up front which once you've purchased it are provided in the detail. Its one of the few things I've purchased in the past years that actually struck me as deceptive or falsely advertised.
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:26 AM   #5
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
A word of caution, however, we also had ERS for over a year and the service was good until I had a blow out in West Virginia and they told me that I wasn't cover because I had a semi and it was considered a commercial vehicle. They had already fixed a flat on this truck without an issue. I received a letter that they made a mistake, but I have not received a reimbursement check for the money that I had to pay to have the tire changed. I dropped my service the day of the blow out. They said I was sent a letter stating that my truck would not be covered, I never received such a letter.. We did get a letter asking if some one else was using our ERS card because we had 3 uses in one year. Two flat tires and a bad fuel pump (the fuel pump was on our previous truck). So, if you drive a semi, be certain they are aware that it is not a commercial vehicle. Good Luck!
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 AM   #6
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Donna

A word of caution, however, we also had ERS for over a year and the service was good until I had a blow out in West Virginia and they told me that I wasn't cover because I had a semi and it was considered a commercial vehicle. They had already fixed a flat on this truck without an issue. I received a letter that they made a mistake, but I have not received a reimbursement check for the money that I had to pay to have the tire changed. I dropped my service the day of the blow out. They said I was sent a letter stating that my truck would not be covered, I never received such a letter.. We did get a letter asking if some one else was using our ERS card because we had 3 uses in one year. Two flat tires and a bad fuel pump (the fuel pump was on our previous truck). So, if you drive a semi, be certain they are aware that it is not a commercial vehicle. Good Luck!
As per Bob and Donna's experience and all the exclusions we found in the actual coverage vs. advertised it might be worth anyone interested in this service to request Good Sams to send them the detail coverage and exclusions statement prior to signning up..
Old 07-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I would be interested in knowing what some of the exclusions are that you are unhappy with.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I would be interested in knowing what some of the exclusions are that you are unhappy with.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/ers/membr_brochure.pdf

C. Restrictions #1
C. Restrictions #2 first pagagraph after C.2.C qualification only in case of a colision. does not apply if disabled due to mechical failure or breakdown. (as a start)

Old 07-20-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the above tips on ERS. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #10
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
As coincidence would have it after my post, I received a check in the mail yesterday from ERS for the amount of the tire repair. Now I have to decide if I want to return to ERS or find another road service. Anyone out there use something different and what do you think about it?
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #11
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have no experience with Good Sam road service. We carry CW Road Care Classic. It is great. They have changed flats,towed a wreck, and when we lost the clutch in nowhere Wyoming they sent two tow trucks and towed the truck and trailer into Casper. They also made reservations at an RV park for us. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter
... We have no experience with Good Sam road service. We carry CW Road Care Classic. ...
Aren't both of these emergency road services one in the same in that they use Affinity Road and Travel Club to service their service calls?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had Good Sam ERS for several years and a couple of months ago had the "pleasure" of using it for the first time. They were courteous, knowledgeable, had the truck there within 35 minutes, called me to make sure the truck arrived, then sent me a satisfaction survey both about them and the service provider. I was very impressed with them. Just hope I never need them again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Donna

Anyone out there use something different and what do you think about it?
When we bought our previous trailer (a Citation) we were given a year free with Thor's Roadside assistance plan. I have continued this with the Montana (also a Thor family product). I have not had to use it yet. I liked the fact that it covers all our vehicles and the trailer in one package and, it is valid in the U.S. and Canada. Anyone else use Thor? I thought all Montana owners were offered the Thor Roadside assistance package as a matter of course.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:40 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were not offered that. Good Sam's also covers all our vehicles, which I think is important, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote