Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
3800RE discussions

Getting ready to take delivery on a Montana 3800RE, I know its a new f/p but was wondering if anyone has had issues and what I need to look out for on my PDI.

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The standard PDI is sufficient for the 3800/3700 as the floor plan doesn't really affect the features and function. Be aware that the bedroom slide is electric driven cables v. the hydraulic slides in the main room. That isn't a big deal but just a difference. The main objective is to ensure everything works, you know how to operate it, and any defects are corrected.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Take a real good look at the fit and finish and have the dealer fix anything you are not satisfied with. Make sure the drawers open and close. Check the satellite and cable connections for proper operation.Make sure the propane regulator is working. make sure thay have filled all the tanks and check for leaks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The biggest thing is don't let them rush you. Start early so you have plenty of time and go slowly. You paid a lot of money and they need to respect that and allow you the time to get to know your rig and make sure everything is right. We caught a cracked landing gear at the PDI so it does pay to do a good job.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Check the entry door strut ours came with a 20 lb strut, it was to much for the door and frame. The dealer changed it to a 10 lb strut and it seems to work great. I think Butch [Aka Carl] might have had the same problem. Check the crimps on the cables for the bedroom slide if any are frayed have them replaced, better now then when you are on the road. Keep a list with you and write down any big and small problems you find after the PDI, we find if we don't write it down we tend to forget the small stuff.
And enjoy the new rig we really like ours.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you go to the Home page you will find a title for PDI Suggestions. Under that heading you will find a couple of PDI lists. I would make copies of that and follow it because you will be overwhelmed with info and lots of stuff. As was said don't let them rush you, make them make everything that moves, turns on, pushes, pulls, spins etc work. Don't matter if it's 90 deg out make the furnace turn on, fill all the tanks, and open all the windows....you get the picture. Plus if you make them make everything work it is easier to do it yourself later instead of being just told how to make it work. Yeah I'm rambling so good luck and have fun. Oh yeah, that is the fun part, the pain in the butt comes when it's time to move everything over to your new rig.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Thank you all for your comments, suggestion and good information, still have a week or so before the PDI so we welcome more suggestions and would love to hear from owners of the same f/p.
Thanks again,
Bobby A
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
BOBBY,
I am a new owner of a 2013 3800 re Big Sky. I did my PDI on Aug 21, it went very well. After the second extended trip ,all is well except two issues. i have dual pane windows, one sliding window in the bedroom has a broken seal and there appear be a sticky front door with evidence of paint removal. Other than those two issues, all is well. I am truly a happy camper, while sitting lakeside on Kerr Lake with the Army Corp of Engineers.
Good Luck
Ed
Blk_Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
We took delivery on our 3800RE in January besides a few small things we are very happy with the fp. After taking a trip down south and on the way home we stopped by the dealear for small warranty items taken care of. Take a good look at your level up jacks for leakage if you have this system, we had one replaced due to leakage and also again if you have the level up, make them showw you how it works, sometimes mine acts a little funny at times, still learning I guess. Other than that enjoy and Happy Campin.........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We just took possession of a 2013 3100RL and put it through it's paces at Yellowstone. Here is what I learned:

1. Check that the refrigerator slide (ODS) does not kink the gas hose when it is in the closed position. We found out when our refrigerator started beeping at us with NO FLOW. That is something that most people do not check during a PDI but it needs to be checked on any of the 2013 models
2. Check that the auto leveling pads are TIGHT! Ours came loose after a few hundred miles and were totally wobbling around! Luckily we carry a lot of tools, not great for gas mileage but great for emergencies!
3. Make sure the shower is caulked around the bottom of the doors and where the shower wall meets the tub/pan.
4. If you got auto leveling make sure they FULLY instruct you on how to hook/unhook using this system and that you actually put it through it's paces BEFORE leaving. We found ours kept popping an error code 'Function Disabled Press Enter to acknowledge' with no further explanation in the book. Make them set the zero point on a truly flat surface and know how to adjust each side higher/lower manually.
5. Check that the arm rests on your recliners (if applicable) are not crushed due to the travel straps.

Hope that helps! We did not do a thorough job because it was late and after an hour they thought we were just plumb crazy. They have been in business for over 30 years and no one has ever taken more than an hour....we did...but even our friends who bought fifth wheels before thought we were crazy! Trust me...it was crazy to drive off the lot NOT spending more time.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi Everyone:

Took delivery of our 2013 Montan3800RE Hickory edition on 30 August 2012. We had factory ordered it and took delivery in Leduc, Alberta. Traded a 2004 Carriage Cameo LXi. Did the PDI and everything was A OK. When we got home and parked and did our FULL check found a fuse had blown ( 15 AMP #9 Ceiling lights ) The red LED was on and the welcome lighting system did not work. Talked to Tech
at Cars RV, Leduc,and he did not have an answer. Replaced fuse and re LED still on and lights not working.

If anyone could help I would welcome suggestions. I have been a full timer for 6 years and dealt with many problems, but this problem is vexing me.

Love the Montana. It has excellent fit and finish. Also everything works right so far. Doing shake down cruise in a month.. Amazing.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote