Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It's a stock Ford 5R120. It will handle to handle 1200 pound feet of torque and by all accounts from the people who race them it will handle that much power and more. If you increase the power to over 700 HP you will eventually tear it up with that much power. I can increase my trucks power to that level in about 20 minutes but that is a full bore race tune and I DO NOT race my truck. The tune that I use is a tow tune with all the safe guards that stock trucks have built in it. For instance if the EGT reaches 1400 F it will defuel before the turbo is damaged. I have never seen the EGT above 1200 F and then only for a very few seconds.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

My PSD is not putting out 350 HP and 650 TK it is putting out over 580 HP and over 1000 pound feet of torque. And I do like a Allison., it is a great transmission. I'm a bigger Chevy fan than a Ford fan. Fact is the Allison while a great transmission has been surpassed, and that is why Chevy has a major upgrade coming for the Allison.
The next big thing coming is what Porsche calls a PDK it is a straight drive with 2 clutches and a torque converter. it changes gears automatically just like a auto. Ford has them in some of their small cars now.
The 2013 Dodge Dart has one also, seems Fiat is using it first. This is a fun video on it. Wonder if this vehicle can be retrofitted with a 20K Reese?
Porsche 911 Doppelkupplungsgetriebe Dual Clutch Double Clutch Porschedoppelkupplungsgetriebe
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
My personal truck is an '04 Dodge. I also drive a '08 IC school bus with a Max-Force DT-466 and a 5 speed Alison. Not thrilled with the school bus for numerious reasons. I think part of the driveability problems derive from trying to manage emissions,engine speed,and fuel economy. Very hard to do in my opinion. They change every year. Some good, some not so good. I say pick the one you like and go with it. JMHO
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote