Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Long or short bed?

I'm in the market for a new TV and wondered if the short bed GMC will work without a slider hitch or should I get a long bed.We're not full-timers and just go on the weekends some, so I think I'm going with a 3/4 ton instead of the dually and I want four doors. Since I drive one 65+ feet long every day, it doesn't bother me, however, DW doesn't like to drive "a school bus" to the grocery store.
Thanks in advance,
Clent

shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Really depends on what you are towing. The early Montanas had a square front making them a little more difficult to manuever with a short bed truck. The later models have the radial front caps which give more room for turning. I towed my '06 3400 with a short bed 3/4 Chevy with a slider hitch (never used it) when I first started RVing. As we got heavier we decided to do the dually thing. My feeling is that IF you are careful you won't need a slider. There is also a hitch called a Pullright(sp) that automatically slides when you exceed a certain degree of turn. Many folks have these and really like them. The key is to take the unit to a large parking lot and bend her around to see how much clearance you have. Do be careful doing this though.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I tow an '06 3500RL which is one of the larger Montanas of that year and while the numbers seemed right, my 3/4 full size truck was overweight at the pin/rear axle. I don't know if the short bed has a higher rear axle rating, but usually the difference of a couple hundred pounds would not have helped. Then finding a short bed on a 1 ton might be difficult to find. I don't know of a dually that has a short bed and the tow ratings you need.

The biggest concern would be the actual weights when measuring the trailer on the truck. I learned the numbers could not only be wrong, but some combinations are unachievable.

A slide hitch is highly recommended, an automatic even better, but the hitches are larger and heavier than some passive ones made for long beds.

So here are some of the factors to keep in mind for your selection:

- weight ratings of the new vehicle to handle the weight of the rig combination at all points
- actual weights of all these points and what to do, if anything if any are over)
- make sure whatever hitch you select exceeds the truck's tow rating and satisfies the trailer's tow rating
- size weight and cost of short bed hitch versus average cost of long bed hitch
- strong slider preference. I've heard some short bed owners don't use a slider and manuverability will in question.
- automatic versus manual slider; I know two stories of manual slider owners were too lazy and bumped their rear windows. But there are many who have used the manual as needed and no problems. Automatic is pricey (Pull-right and others)
- Removable hitch, may add cost and weight depending on how it's installed but lightens the truck when using it for errands and not towing.
- Bed rails, visible or not; if you opt for a removable hitch, do you want a flat bed or rails remaining in the bed. I don't know if a short bed slider hitch is available without bed rails but it's something to check. Many of us find the remaining bed rails a nuisance when trying to use the truck bed when the hitch is removed.

Anyway, here are some ideas. I hope these help you make the best decision for you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
If I were going to pull a lot, the dually is the only way to go, however, since I have gone back to work, there won't be many long trips and the 3/4 or even a 1 ton with single wheels is much easier to handle when not pulling a trailer.
It is an 05 model and it has the radial cap so I think, with care, it will be fine. As I said, I prefer a long bed, but DW has trouble maneuvering around town, and I know she is gonna want to drive the new one some. Of course, I could get a standard shift and solve that problem...might create another one though.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can stuff more stuff in a Long bed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our unit has the square front...but, I still wouldn't tow one of the new radius front units with a short bed without the slider. Actually, if buying new, I would have the Pullrite Superglide installed in a short bed. Reason....I've seen too many dented cabs and shattered rear glass. I had one very close encounter myself.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
My DW drives a Yukon XL everyday and finds no difficulty driving dually. It's not about the pulling, but the stopping. IMHO. You have alot more stability with duals. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I've always had short bed trucks with the exception of the last two. Both of those were 1 ton crew cab long beds and I must admit I am hooked - doubtful I'll ever go back to a short bed. As previously mentioned, the long bed allows you to take more stuff, but for me, it is the larger fuel capacity and better ride. I like being able to go 325+ miles per tank while towing the coach and 550+/- miles per tank empty. To each their own, happy shopping...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you get a 2500 HD you may find the same brakes and springs as are on the 1 ton standard, we did. The various truck makers are making all kinds of different models for towing. We are towing a 3665RE with a 2500 HD SRW without any problems. Ours is a short bed and with the rounded cap on the Montana I'm not using the slider at all. I did get it in the beginning since we do have such a short bed, but up till now I've never had to move the hitch and it takes some sharp backing turns to get the Monty in it's home next to the Sticks and Bricks. You just have to be careful and go slow, but I would do that anyway.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
My new TV is a SRW 3500HD SB and I'm putting the same slider I had in my 2500 SB back into it. I'd rather have the slider option for tight spaces just in case. BTW, this new TV has a 36 gallon diesel tank vice the 26 gal tanks the older short beds have.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Just for information purposes, the PullRite Superglide mounts on quick release pins which when removed leave the bed clear except for four small holes.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We bought the long bed for resale value - we think it will be more attractive to contractors than a short bed. We have a fixed hitch with removable bed rails. The turning circle is loooonnnnngggg. The drivability bothers Kathy some, but not me..
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Just for information purposes, the PullRite Superglide mounts on quick release pins which when removed leave the bed clear except for four small holes.
My PullRite Superglide has bedrails.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I would go with the long bed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I prefer the Long Bed Larger Gas Tank longer wheel base better ride. Is it harder to park YES
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We went with a short bed, SRW, F350 that I just ordered and had built. I already had invested in a Pullrite, automatic slider hitch for my last truck so I just moved it to the new one. We will use the truck mainly for towing. Although DW has driven large vehicles most of her life, she simply didn't want the length or width of a long bed DRW. This truck fits in the garage, the other probably wouldn't.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gr8330

Quote:

My PullRite Superglide has bedrails.
You can buy the mounting system either way.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Thanks for the input. Seems like it will be a matter of personal opinion...she may just have to learn to park a long one.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We have a 2006 Dodge MegaCab which is short bed. We really like the extra room in the cab, but when I back up I'm always nervous about dinging the sheet metal especially when our insurance company told me that if I had a second claim for $1440 they would drop my safe driving rate and increase my premiums.
We were backing into a very tight driveway from a narrow road. I have the Reese manual slider and it was engaged in the maneuvering position. What I hadn't anticipated is that the rear passenger wheel would go down the embankment just enough to tilt the truck bed and scrunch the rear cab sheet metal.BTW the fiberglass on the Monty did not show any damage.

If I had to do it over I would probably go with the long bed. We wanted to add an auxiliary fuel tank, but I was unwilling to give up my in-bed tool box, so I went with a new frame mounted replacement tank. I would not have had to do that with a long bed.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's one of the reasons I went with the Superglide. The other being that I don't have to remember to get out & pull levers. I have enough to think about when towing. It was pricey but worth every penny to me.

Quote:

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote