Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Goodyear Marathon Tires

I was getting one of our Mission Tires fixed at our tire shop (no not a tire problem but a screw in the tire) and said I would be looking for new tires. He told me that Goodyear is in the process of moving their manufacturing back to the States. They where having Quality Control problems. So there is hope for quality again

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
He's a little behind in his news. Goodyear has been making them here since at least mid year. However, I would want to check the tires before buying to make sure I wasn't getting old stock made in China.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Let's hope the quality is better. I have had more problems with Goodyear Marathon tires than with any other tire, including Mission. I sure hope the Marathons are an improved tire.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I was checking tires and preparing the Monty for a trip to the RGV and found one of my Goodyear Marathon tires with knots and abnormal wear in one area. Took it the the Goodyear dealer and he said the belts were bad. They did warrenty the tire but now I'm nervous about the other three. The new tire was made in China. They have about 12K miles on them and I hope to get another 3 or 4K out of them. I will watch them closely.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I love when a manufacturer claims they are improving quality about their products. How do you think I feel being one of the shmucks buying their product BEFORE they improved quality? According to the DOT code, mine are made in China and now I know the Goodyear quality control was wishy-washy. Oh boy! Please, no one tell DW.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The Marathon tires on our 2010 Montana are from the 35th week of the 2009 lot, and yes, MADE IN CHINA. Keystone would not discuss the matter, rather passed the buck to GoodYear. GoodYear assures me that the tires are fine, but with a long trip (late June through early November) ahead, I will not be as comfortable as I would otherwise be without knowing the problems I have read others have had with this tire. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH GOODYEAR IN THE PAST AND WE ARE RELATIVELY HAPPY WITH OUR MONTANA (KEYSTONE); THOUGH THE LATTER SEEMED TO GET A BIT TESTY WHEN I CALLED THEM ON THEIR RELUCTANCE TO ADDRESS THE TIRES THEY ARE PUTTING ON THEIR PRODUCT. I will pay close attention to the tires (like I would anyway) on the trip and hopefully all will go well. When we return, I will send another message reporting how the tires performed.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have had issues with my Marathons. I also heard they had moved manufacture from China to USA. I hope that helps but having been bit, I'll let them prove themselves on someone else.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We removed our Goodyear Marathons, (made in china); then installed new LT tires when our rig was new. These are E rated and have been running at 80 psi with no problems.
In the past we had nothing but problems with Made In China ST tires on our double dually 30 foot 5th wheel work trailers. To much down time with blow outs, bulges, seperations, and loss of air.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Thanks guys. I have a 2010 3400 with the Chinese Marathons. 7000 miles on them so far with no problems. Hope this continues.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Anyone interested in a set of Carlisle tires on 15" rims? I also have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Does the bridge include lights and power? How much do you want? I can write a check.

The only thing I am hoping with my Marathons on my Monty, is that my Monty weighs about 10,700 at the tires (about 2,500#s at the pin) which is way under the 12,000 lbs axle rating. The other 2,500 lbs are supposedly supported by the landing legs or the hitch. The Marathons are E rated and when inflated to 80#s are recommended to support 3,420 per tire. This calculates to almost 1,000 under what each tire carries. It's odd that after 18 months with the tires pretty much overinflated for my load ARE NOT showing any excessive wear in the center of the tire.

It's been about 15 months since I weighed, so I better go check again, but this time besides axles I will include each wheel.

I am thinking that since we are some-timers and not full-timers, the lack of carrying everything with us probably helps in keeping the load way down. Of course the TV is struggling but I am working on that. We keep everything else at the house. Maybe I should weigh the house, because it is constantly falling apart. It is way worse than the Monty and is preventing me from fulfilling the Monty wishlist.

This is why I want to buy the bridge, I can sell the house and park the Monty on the bridge.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Does the bridge include lights and power? How much do you want? I can write a check.

The only thing I am hoping with my Marathons on my Monty, is that my Monty weighs about 10,700 at the tires (about 2,500#s at the pin) which is way under the 12,000 lbs axle rating. The other 2,500 lbs are supposedly supported by the landing legs or the hitch. The Marathons are E rated and when inflated to 80#s are recommended to support 3,420 per tire. This calculates to almost 1,000 under what each tire carries. It's odd that after 18 months with the tires pretty much overinflated for my load ARE NOT showing any excessive wear in the center of the tire.

It's been about 15 months since I weighed, so I better go check again, but this time besides axles I will include each wheel.

I am thinking that since we are some-timers and not full-timers, the lack of carrying everything with us probably helps in keeping the load way down. Of course the TV is struggling but I am working on that. We keep everything else at the house. Maybe I should weigh the house, because it is constantly falling apart. It is way worse than the Monty and is preventing me from fulfilling the Monty wishlist.

This is why I want to buy the bridge, I can sell the house and park the Monty on the bridge.
You bet it includes lights & power (12v & 120v). It even has a partridge in a pear tree. Of course, I will want you to include your SSN and home address on the check. If you can supply a credit card number (just for identification) that would help too. After I get all that you won't have to worry about repairing your house-you won't have one!

Seriously though, I decided to go with Michelin 225 75R 16E (2680# each) and that will give me about an 11% margin over my fully loaded TT. Hardest part of switching from 15" to 16" was finding wheels that were not made in China. Dexstar assured me that they manufacture their wheels in Indiana so that is what I will use. Hope that is true!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Our 2010, like others, has the Chinese made Marathons. They have about 5000 miles on them and still look okay. Found a nail in the side wall of one on the way home from Texas and therefore had to replace it last week. The new one (did not try to determine a manufacturing date)was also made in China.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Yesterday I asked the dealer who sold us our Montana about the Goodyear Marathon tires...the rep I spoke with stated they had pulled all of their Marathon stock because of numerous problems with those tires. He further said they were now selling Michelin LTs as a replacement. I thougt that LTs did not have sidewalls adequate to deal with the stresses trailers tend to put on tire sidewalls. Maybe he said tracter tires...who knows? Just more tire confussion for me!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

I thougt that LTs did not have sidewalls adequate to deal with the stresses trailers tend to put on tire sidewalls. Maybe he said tracter tires...who knows? Just more tire confussion for me!
LTs are fine, as long as they have the capacity necessary for your RV. I put on a set of LT235/85R16s recently. I could not find ANY ST235/80R16s made in the USA, and I refuse to buy any more Chinese tires.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 AM   #16
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Prior to leaving Tampa on Monday I checked the air pressure on my Marathons and had to add 2 to 3psi to each tire. This morning (Wed) I had to add another 1 1/2 to 2 psi to each tire...think I have a problem, or is this normal...we have traveled about 500 miles since Monday and the outside temp here is about 10 degrees cooler.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rule of thumb I believe is that tires lose one pound for every 10 degree drop. Of course they don't actually 'lose' it, the air becomes denser and the reading is lower. If you continue to lose air pressure, you may have a slow leak at the valves, which can be caused by tire pressure increasing when the tires get warm or because the valve isn't seated correctly. It can also be caused by valves that aren't rated for 80+ psi. Another cause of pressure drop is leaking rims.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
What happens specifically with the ST (made in China) tires, is they lose air through the face (tread) as the tread starts to separate. In the early stages you will not notice the above. Molding and bonding of the various rubbers, synthetics etc. seems to be a problem with the imported ST tires. We are just replacing 8 Primex ( made in China) ST tires on our tandem dually; treads are 90 to 95% but we could not hold air pressure and the face started to separate. Cost of operation for low initial cost; Very high in down time and replacement!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Good news! A few more hundred miles and the tire pressure has not changed a bit...will still check every morning prior to getting back on the road, but feels like good news to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #20
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Our 2010 has the Chinese made Marathons. We just returned from Alaska with no problems with the tires. Have about 15,000 miles on them total. Looks like may get 10,000 more out of them. I always keep close watch on tire pressures. Run 75# all the time.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote