Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Montana vs Big Sky?

A dealer just tried to tell us that the only diffence between the Montana and the Big Sky is some fancy trim and paint and a big price difference. Everything else is the same. This was after the same person told us that they won't order a Big Sky because they don't sell and then tried to sell us a cheaper Brand X because they were "temporarily out of Montana's" on their lot.

We already know that the trusting the dealer is a no-no. I just thought I would seek your reaction to what this person said.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It sounds as though if his lips are moving, he's lying.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Since you are looking at full timing I recommend actually going to a dealer that has the model you think you like and "play" living in it for a few hours. This will give you a better idea how it fits. Yes this may mean traveling longer distances but it is a lot of money to spend and you need to make sure it fits.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I know I shouldn't get political here but in this one instance I can't resist. Jim, I think many of these sales people are gearing up for a run for public office. John, I agree. We started at this dealership because it is the most convenient to our house. We will travel to several dealerships to check out various models and options. When we settle on what we want, I'll contact these same dealers with our wish list and a request for their best price. I might even ask MOC'ers who gave them the best deal.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When comparing the Big Sky to the comparable floor plan of a Montana I kinda agree with the salesman. As most everything that comes with the Big Sky is also available in the Montana the only real difference comes down to glitz and glitter and, of course, price.
It's much like comparing a Cadillac to a Buick.
For me I would buy the Monty BUT I am not the one buying you are. It is your money and only you can decide which is the best buy for your buck.

I notice you are from Eastern Ohio which places you about 300 miles from Hershey PA. Starting on Sept 16 thru the 20th is the Hershey RV Show This would be the place to see many many of the Monty and Big Sky floorplans up close and personal and who knows what kind of deals they are offering.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Some of the differences in the 2008 Big Sky were-- upgraded carpet,cherry cabinets, true convection microwave, double door Norcold fridge, counter tops, halogen ceiling lights, marble look shower, extra electric oulets, larger TV,base-less dining table, lighted curio cabinet, upgraded faucets. Some of the Big Sky features are now in the Motanas. We had the same issue with our local dealer not handling the Big Sky so we bought out of state.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its called bells and whistles. The major difference is options. We order and have three different floorplans in one 5er. And yes there will be a difference in price. What the salesman was doing is called flipping because he didn't haven in stock what you wanted. But behind the walls they are about the same. Take a tour of any factory and you will see whats behind those walls. Again its just different options. We could have went with a more expensive 5er but we just didn't want full body paint so we just ordered two options from the higher priced 5er. But until we talked to a Rep from our manufactor we had no idea what they could and would do and they done everything we ask, move cabinets, took window out etc. Most dealers just want to sell whats on the lot or is in the pipe line. We made several mistakes in the past buying 5th wheels that were on the lot and we spent a ton of money. I would never buy off the lot again. It took us 8 weeks to get what we wanted. Good Luck with all those choices. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Greener, I was under the impression somehow that "baseless" tables were done and Keystone was going back to the lower window and the "based" table? The last 2010 3400RL Montana I just looked at 2 wks ago had the old style design after they had been running the baseless table for a model year or two. Maybe they haven't reverted in the Big Sky models.

Weights: I take it that since glitz and glitter is the only difference, that the weights - GVWR and empty weights - are the same then for a Montana 3400RL and a Big Sky 340Q? Or is some of this glitz and glitter a little heavy?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
dsprik- The baseless table may be a thing of the past. Ours is a 2008.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I asked that question a while back, some may have changed by now, here's the answer I received:

--in addition to the optional features that come standard on the Big Sky, you get the following items with a Big Sky that are not available with the Montana:

Large side by side 12 cubic foot frig/freezer
larger microwave/convection oven NOT AN APOLLO!!!
larger water heater (12 gal.)
wall mounted dinette table that eliminates the pedestal
larger windows around the dinette (offset by loss of the cabinets above)
window in toilet area (offset by loss of window next to frig)
supposedly better carpet and residential padding
bigger LCD TV (32")
elimination of the "suicide" step near entry door (at cost of higher entry steps that some people don't like)
halogen reading lights under overhead cabinets
pull out pantry drawer between frig and oven
hi gloss gel coating that includes the basement doors
power awning
power rear stabilizer jacks

In addition to these and other "objective" differences, there are lots of cosmetic differences that will be of different value to different people. Here are some:

nice looking "marble" shower
pewter finish on plumbing fixtures
simpler, less flowery decor
vanity with seamless molded sink rather than a sink that is set above the countertop
polished kitchen countertop
cherry crown molding and upgraded wood trim

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don and Bonnie-- Come on over to Goshen and meet some of us and you can compare some of the rigs right at the Fall Rally and possibly even go thru the plant/factory with us on the tours. Just a suggestion if you have some time from the 21-27th!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So, the dry weight is higher on a Big Sky than their "sister" Montana models?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I see the conflict brewing between our other life and our future life. We have two back to back Civil War reenactments. The 18th thru 20th in Zoar, Ohio and the 24th thru the 27th in Culpepper, Va. I sure wish I could figure out how to be in two places at once!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
If you come to the Rally you can see both and draw your own conclusion.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- the dry weights of each unit is as follows:
Big Sky= 12880 + 3280 cargo= 16160
3400 Monte= 12380 + 3260 cargo= 15640

Only difference is 500 dry and 20lbs cargo!
You pay for the goodies and SO CALLED upgrades! I know I'll catch it on this one!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Besides the Bells and Whistles, cosmetic upgrades, for my 05 Big Sky versus the same floorplan Montana, it had an EXTRA window above the kitchen slide, which I've come to enjoy quite a bit. Maybe this a continuing difference sometimes?
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Besides the Bells and Whistles, cosmetic upgrades, for my 05 Big Sky versus the same floorplan Montana, it had an EXTRA window above the kitchen slide, which I've come to enjoy quite a bit. Maybe this a continuing difference sometimes?
I really liked that feature. however, they discontinued it. Not sure but I don't know if you can fit a window AND a slide topper in that area...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
BattChiefRich

M.O.C. #9709
I went with the Big Sky with the intention of living in the RV 3-4 months a year while traveling. After checking both the Montana and the Big Sky and adding options, the big Sky was the better deal with the extras included above. Checking both RV's side by side, my dealer had both, there was a great difference for the price difference.
BattChiefRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #19
5WRon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8763
We looked at 4 different dealers in 3 different states before buying. We also personally visited and saw numerous floor plans. We talked and read a whole bunch then decided what we wanted (and didn't want). Then we went to two dealers we had visited before (they saw we were ready to buy) and told them we wanted to make out a 'build sheet'. They did't have what we wanted on the lot but a 'build sheet' is an order they (the dealer) makes with manufacturer. We compared the two and went with the lowest $$$. We had all we wanted and they got our business. We did go for the 09 BigSky, have been full timing for about one year and love it. Our time spent looking, reading and talking paid off of us.

Hope this helps you,
Ron and Linda
5WRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill and Helen's big sky is parked very near us at the fall rally. It just don't get any better. That is a beautiful unit. Pretty and plush does not say it. There are like 75 Montana's here and that one stands out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote