Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Light switch needed

One of my bedroom sconce lights, above the bed, has quit working. I suspect it is the push button switch that goes thru the light base. Would anyone have one of these they could part with or any idea where to get one???? I have an '06 3400RL.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, take the old switch to Ace or True Value Hdwr. They can buff you right up. Just show them the switch and ask for a replacement. Don't bother asking for a "12 volt" switch, just ask for a switch. A switch is a switch, the new one will most likely say 120 volts on it, not a worry. It will work... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Lowes or Home Depot are other places to look.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
It's called a canopy switch. I've had a couple of them go bad. If you can't get one locally try ebay,it's probably cheaper. A RV dealer wanted ~$10 for one.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

They can buff you right up.
What??? I've never been in that kind of hardware store, Dave!

Actually I am also looking for what I thought was a 12v switch to go on the wall on the opposite side of my vanity switches so I can turn the bathroom light on and off in the middle of the night w/o waking the wife and w/o having to reach up to the ceiling switch with my bad shoulders. I guess I don't need a 12v light switch then?

Actually I have a battery operated "closet" light I could put on the wall... How much do you have to see in there in the middle of the night anyway???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Thanks, I didn't know you could sub a 12VDC for 110VAC. Thanks again, I will do that......

Dave, I use a batt operated tap light in there. Saves on having to install another switch. You're right, don't need a lot of light in there anyway. I would really like to do what OZZ did and intall a window in there, of course, would still need a light at night.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Dave, Thanks, I didn't know you could sub a 12VDC for 110VAC. Thanks again, I will do that......

Dave, I use a batt operated tap light in there. Saves on having to install another switch. You're right, don't need a lot of light in there anyway. I would really like to do what OZZ did and intall a window in there, of course, would still need a light at night.
I think you're right, Phil. It can't hurt to try the quick fix LED batt light for a while to see how that works.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

They can buff you right up.
What??? I've never been in that kind of hardware store, Dave!

Actually I am also looking for what I thought was a 12v switch to go on the wall on the opposite side of my vanity switches so I can turn the bathroom light on and off in the middle of the night w/o waking the wife and w/o having to reach up to the ceiling switch with my bad shoulders. I guess I don't need a 12v light switch then?

Actually I have a battery operated "closet" light I could put on the wall... How much do you have to see in there in the middle of the night anyway???
Dave I bought a 12v wall switch at an RV store in San Antonio. I would think some, probably not all, RV dealers would have them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. Someone here on the forum did this mod on a 3400 a while back. Just cut a hole directly behind where the vanity, 2 switch wall plate is and unwire the oem switch that goes to the BR switch and rewire the new switch on the BR side of the wall.

Now for my next project... that stupid vent fan. Again with bad shoulders it is painful to reach up and turn that on and off. I was thinking of running a wire down the inside wall of the BR from the fan and installing a switch for that, too. One phrase that the wife does not want to hear is "Honey, can you come in here and turn this fan on for me???" Actually I have several phrases that the wife does not respond to - that's only one...

Sorry, Phil. I digressed/off topic.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I know that Brad Meaton did a fine mod on his bathroom switches, perhaps you can find him on the other forum...
Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Phil. Did he come up with an idea for the fan switch? I may just stay with the batt light, but I would be interested if Brad or anyone else tried to wire a switch to that fan.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dave, I just did a mod on my bathroom fan. Fantastic Fan makes 80 some versions of their fans. I ordered on that has 2 switches. One switch turns the power on to the fan and has 3 speed settings. It also has a second switch that raises the vent and then the fan comes on at whatever speed you have the first switch set at. Flip the switch the other way, the vent closes and the fan goes off. This version also has a rain sensor. I ran 2 wires down the wall to a switch and wired the second switch to it. Now I don't have to reach up, crank open the vent, and turn the fan on. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Thanks, Steve. Someone here on the forum did this mod on a 3400 a while back. Just cut a hole directly behind where the vanity, 2 switch wall plate is and unwire the oem switch that goes to the BR switch and rewire the new switch on the BR side of the wall.

Now for my next project... that stupid vent fan. Again with bad shoulders it is painful to reach up and turn that on and off. I was thinking of running a wire down the inside wall of the BR from the fan and installing a switch for that, too. One phrase that the wife does not want to hear is "Honey, can you come in here and turn this fan on for me???" Actually I have several phrases that the wife does not respond to - that's only one...

Sorry, Phil. I digressed/off topic.
I want to add the new switch in the same location you mention but I want it to control only the bathroom light, not the hall light. In our rig both are currently controlled by the single wall switch on the vanity side of the wall. I just haven't got around yet to dropping the lights and figuring out the proper wiring. It's on my list.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kerry, now that's what I am talking about... I need the vent open/close and fan switch both on the wall. Just didn't want to spend a fortune on it. Also, any install on that side sloping roof (a 3400 bathroom vent, for instance) requires a modified install of the vent shroud. You have to cut the shroud at an angle to match the roof angle.

May have to just break down and spend some bucks. Another problem is that the vent covers are terrific to have over the BR vent in particular, as it can be used when raining. I believe most FF units will not work under a vent cover. My oem crank up vent will not even go up all the way inside my Ramble vent cover and I think a FF is even larger.

But, if the FF would work under a vent cover - it would have to have a way to control how far it opens - I could get around the price and the difficult install.

*On edit ~ I also believe that FF states specifically NOT to use with a vent cover, although they may be alluding to their "rain sensing" models and I know they have the "non-rain sensing" also. I believe, but not sure, that they said something about voiding the warranty. Again, this could be with the rain sensing models only. It would obviously defeat the purpose putting a cover over one of those...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, we have one of those high volume vent covers from CW over our FF. It probably restricts flow a little but certainly not enough that we'd notice it. We've had it on this FF for three years now with no ill effects. Like you, despite it having the rain sensor, we want airflow during rain.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...uxe-models/828

Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Light switch fixed, DW happy, it was the one on her side. All is happy at our place now, well except for my promise to clean all the exhaust fans, including sucking out the bugs. I found the switch at a local hardware store. Push button, canopy switch, only problem could not find a black or bronze one, settled for chrome, BUT it works now.....Thanks again to my MOC buddies....!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, Phil. Think I hijacked this topic...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Dave, check here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/12688636
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Larry, those are some awesome mods. I like the FF bathroom fan. Just have to route wiring for switches on the wall for the vent opening and the fan control. I would like to put a vent hood over it - looks like Maxxair is the only one big enough to fit a FF lid inside of. Want to be able to use that vent during rain.