Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
show price????

Does anyone know just how good a deal is "show price" All the mfg. wanna make you think that buying at a show your getting a much better deal. Whats the scoop ????
Bobby A

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't think "show price" is any better of a price than what a good negotiation will get you outside of the show. I've always felt the show prices are "bait" surrounded by the impression that if you don't jump now they will run out of inventory by the end of the show. It works actually, but if you have the time to order or search inventory I would think you could do a little better after the show.

That said, none of what "used to be" applies anymore. The entire industry is on borrowed time and money and very possibly that same unit won't be worth scrap by the end of the year if you never buy it. I think the edge on negotiation is heavily on your side.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Yea, thats what I think also, if you have good negotioning tactics and do your home work you could get a good deal after the show. I also wonder if buying in the winter months in the northern states where the weather is terrible and not many people are entering the dealerships durning that time, if you could do any better on price ??
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I fully agree that IF you are a good negotiator and have done your homework you can get just as good a price at the dealership. However many folks do not have those skills so the show prices can be a good price for those folks. There are many things to consider in the show price. It is very competitive. There are scores of dealers there sometimes many with the same brand. Your prices must be in line with the others. The RV show is very costly for the dealer, space is expensive.They have a great deal of up front dollars invested in the show and the break even point can push 100K dollars or more.That is a lot of campers. One dealer we worked for had to sell @30 Towables and motorhomes to break even. It is best to buy on the last couple of days as the dealer may be in panic mode by that time. We worked many of these shows in Cleveland and we met every day to go over the numbers. They do not take a deep breath till the"break" number is met. We purchased all our camper, including this one at a RV show.. We also did our homework.

Think I mentioned this before. Two questions that every buyer will ask and most time the ONLY two questions.

Can my Truck pull this(what will the salesman say)
What will the monthly payments be(What payments can you afford) Few will admit they can't afford whatever the monthly payments are.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Most every dealer in the desert southwest has a show daily for 3 or 4 months. So the term RV Show does not mean much to me other than a place to look at RVs. My opinion is if they have a price on a unit today, three weeks from now I know what they had in mind for a price for that unit. Sometimes they do throw in a unit that has been tramped through for the show that has cosmetic defects and they are willing to deduct a little more. A lot of dealer liquidation units end up at these RV Sales also.

I have noticed that there is a wild swing in prices from dealer to dealer. They say there is no such thing as MSRP for 5th wheels. Regardless the price represented for a unit with the same options can vary a lot.

I agree a lot of searching for the best price needs to be done with other considerations thrown in for buying local. The more knowledge you have for what is a fair price for the rig you are interested in will help in making a deal you will feel comfortable with.

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I would have to guess that RV dealers/like auto dealers have floorplan deals and all that intrest becomes due the 1st of every month. Kinda like buying a truck, seems I allways get a better deal @ monthend or in this case(as Rich stated)showend. We have a show this weekend and someone will be nagging at you "I really don't want to drag this thing back to the lot". Last year we made an offer on a Heartland Augusta,the dealer said he'll drag it back to the lot and sell it that spring before he would go any lower. Well guess what 5er is still on the lot? Yep, that same unit. Steve

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
We just bought our 2008 2295RL Montana at the Spokane RV show weekend before last. We were looking at Cougars and Mountaineers from a dealer, their Monte owner reps showed us an 09 2295RL which we really liked but was out of our price range. The rep was looking at his stock sheet for something they would have in the length I wanted (28-29 ft) and he mentioned they had a brand new '08 2955RL on the lot at the dealership they we decided to check out. After finding a wireless hotspot so we could check to see what prices were running, we went to their lot to check it out. From the list prices we found online we figured we saved $20,000 from list and it is just about as good a unit as the '09, the '09 had a few more bells and whistles than the '08. So there are deals out there, sometimes you just fall into them.

Wayen K.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
my 2 cents worth,, You should never go into a "show" without a price target in mind and a willingness to walk away. If they can tell that you WANT to buy a trailer, you have already lost the battle. I know when we bought ours we went to look around with no intention of buying that day. After talking to the salesman for over an hour,we kept telling him our willing price and if it could'nt be met "oh well" we will just move on. When we got up to leave after telling him our final price, we made it out to the parking lot and just before we got to our car,he comes running out,guess what,we will accept your offer!! OH what a surprise. So we ended up buying ours for 50% off so called sale price and a trade of unseen trailer,and also a bigger unit then what we thought we could afford. so,bottom line is I think you HAVE to be willing to walk away so you control the deal and not the salesman running back and forth to his "manager" coming down $100 at a time.All he is trying to do is wear you down so you bite.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote