Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Curious?? Unexplained Duramax Engine Stop

I'm just wondering if anything like this has happened to any of you. Last night in 4 below weather, a block from the end of a 50 mile trip, my 2003 GM Duramax simply stopped. No idiot light - no indication of anything wrong except for the obvious thing -- the engine didn't run. Thought the fuel might have gelled, so I thought..maybe I can warm it by putting my warm hands around the fuel filter. (I know.. stupid..but ya gotta try something. Upon doing this a few minutes, I felt under the filter and found my fingers covered with fuel. HMMMMM!! I grasped the water drain knob with my now frozen fingers and found it to be almost a half turn loose! VOILA!!! I remembered having to prime the fuel one time after I ran out, so I did that. A few pumps on the plunger and fuel/air bubbles came out, and finally pure fuel. Got in and the truck started. All fine today. This fuel filter had been last replaced about 12,000 miles ago, and there had never been any problems, so I doubt that the drain knob was loose all this time. My only thought is that the extreme hot/cold temp changes along with normal vibration might have caused it... or maybe just the cold weather itself.

At any rate, I'm curious about whether others have had this symptom, and more importantly that maybe the same thing will happen to one of you and this might be one thing to check! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

Thanks for the heads up, good info.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've read of those water drains being prone to break pretty easily. Read where lot's of guys carry a spare drain ass'y in the tool box.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Karl,
I haven't experienced it but I am going to check it tonight. I replaced my filter about three months ago and recently I have noticed that my fuel consumption has been up more than usual lately, since this cold and snow have arrived. It just might be the cause. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Just a quick addition. The fuel filter brand is NAPA. Not that I lay blame there, its just the brand I have.

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We've had -5 Sunday & -1 Monday no problems for us. Both days we also drove through blizzard conditions, and another nice thing about the new duramax we havn't had to plug her in. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
NAPA Gold Filters is what I also use. I did not find a leak this time, but now that I know the possibility exists I will continue to monitor.

Thanks again!
Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

Karl,
I haven't experienced it but I am going to check it tonight. I replaced my filter about three months ago and recently I have noticed that my fuel consumption has been up more than usual lately, since this cold and snow have arrived. It just might be the cause. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom
I believe fuel consumption goes up in the winter time because of the anti gel additive. I have noticed it too in the past.
Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
You get a leak on the fuel system you won't have to check; you'll know it. You'll lose the prime on system. No fuel prime; engine no run!

BTW, I'm sure the NAPA filters are good. Not sure if so now, but Racor used to make all the filters for the Duramax. They were just painted and labeled different. That being said, if you have engine problems, and take it to a GM dealer, 90% of the time they will want to change the fuel filter before doing anything else. Same with oil filter. They insist on AC Delco. And no, I'm not saying they will void your warranty.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Cold weather causes the engine to run a lot richer also. Then, how long are you letting it sit and run to warm up before you drive vs. warm weather? All factors in affecting the mileage now. I'm experiencing the same results.

Come on spring! I'm ready to get the Monty out of storage, and just put it away last month................
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My Duramax has been in temps as low as -21 before windchill and this has not happened to me...yet. Appreciate the heads up!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:59 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Karl,

We have had our Duramax stop on us twice when we were pulling our Montana. We had to pull over and let the truck cool. Then we started out again, only to travel about another 20 miles and have it do the same thing. Once we got to the campground we change out our fuel filter. Bob, changes it between 10 & 15K miles. We haven't had a problem towing since. Talking to a mechanic friend that had a computer thingy he said the codes pointed to the fuel filter.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Karl,

We have had our Duramax stop on us twice when we were pulling our Montana. We had to pull over and let the truck cool. Then we started out again, only to travel about another 20 miles and have it do the same thing. Once we got to the campground we change out our fuel filter. Bob, changes it between 10 & 15K miles. We haven't had a problem towing since. Talking to a mechanic friend that had a computer thingy he said the codes pointed to the fuel filter.

Colleen
Just curious what year model the Duramax is? 2004-5 LLY Duramax engines are notorious for overheating.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Winter diesel a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel has less energy than straight #2 diesel which results in lower fuel economy. The reason for the mixture of diesel types is to prevent gelling of the fuel in winter weather.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Quote:
quote:Just curious what year model the Duramax is? 2004-5 LLY Duramax engines are notorious for overheating.
Will,

We have a 2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax. I stated that it was over heating, it really wasn't over heating, rather the computer was resetting itself. We haven't had a problem since keeping the fuel filter changed sooner. We have towed the Montana about 5K miles since our initial problems. We live in a warmer climate, so I can address the diesel change from #1 & 2 grades. We are in Central Texas so I don't think they change the grades. That is a guess on my part, maybe someone that knows more about that will post.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

Karl,

Tom
Possible, Tom, but my bet is you are now running winterized diesel, which for me means 1 to 2 mpg less, solo highway.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
This is one area where some preventative maintenance could possibly save some headaches. The Duramax has only one fuel filter, so to make sure that your fuel is clean, change it more often. Many of us Duramax owners have installed a secondary fuel filter just for some added protection. Secondly, the drain for the water separator is on the bottom of the fuel filter. The interval for checking that should be much more often than the change interval for the filter. By the time the "Water in Fuel" light comes on, you're already in trouble. Even moreso if the weather is colder. Don't scrimp on the filters.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote