Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Storing in RVDealer Lot, going out of business

OK, we are planning on storing our RV at a dealer near a campgroud we frequent. The dealer will move it on and off the lot for a minimal fee My question is, with dealers going out of business and filling for bankruptcy, could my RV be tied up or could I possibly loose my RV if the dealer went out of business since it would be on the defunct dealers propety?
Thanks
James Jan and Zoe

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
James, make sure you can trust "someone" at the dealership to give you a fair warning of their upcoming demise. That way you can either pick it up or make arrangements to have it moved.
I say that because a few years ago I lost a chain saw at a local lawn equipment dealer that was closed by the feds. I had to either get a lawyer to take the feds to court to get the $125. saw back or buy it back at the sheriff's sale. Go figure! I even had my name on the side of the case and it still didn't matter, so don't take the chance, keep on top of the dealership and watch them closely.
Would I keep my Montana there, sure, I'm just glad I have a pad beside the house so that I don't have to!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
James, I share Steve's thoughts also. My fear is that they might sell it again or, as Steve says, it might end up with the feds or some other authority and you can't get it back. I would really have to trust the dealer at this point. The airline I was flying for in Alaska went bankrupt and the Feds seized all the possessions of the owner, including household things and hangars sitting on other airports and ALL the aircraft he had in his possession. Even things that were his wifes or son's, they took it all and had a huge estate sale to liquidate everything. I doubt this would happen to your rig but one never knows.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On this one, if you have doubts, trust your gut.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Even if they do allow you to get it back you probably would have a ton of Red Tape to wade through.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I saw this happen about 10 years ago here locally. A big boat dealer was storing a lot of his clients boats. He went out of business and had liquidation sales gues what happened to many of the stored boats, sold to new customers. What a mess! I would not store any equipment or possesions any where except a storage facility or on private property ( arrangement for storage )
Hope it all works out for you,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The answer is simple...None of us know or are qualified to provide a answer. Because of the value of your camper it might be wise to seek legal advise on the subject.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I would think you would have the same risk at any storage business. Who knows what business will close next.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
The fact that you thought of this problem (potential), shows me that you don't trust the dealer to stay in business. Run, don't walk to the exit. Find a situation that you trust/feel good about. You will sleep better and the Monty will be there when you want it. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
You're right Rich, you can see a lawyer and probably get it back. In my case, the fees were more than a new saw costs, so no lawyer was involved. But with the Montana , why should a person have to seek legal advice to get ones property back?
The best way to avoid this kind of headache would be to "trust" the business or stay away!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was not clear. If you are in doubt as to what would happen should the dealer or the storage facility go into foreclosure it may be a good idea to get legal advise on he subject so you know your options. I can tell you that I was involved in a organization that went bankrupt and the landlord of the building filed suite and took possession of everything in that building including individual personal property. In some case it was returned in most it was not and it all went up at public auction. It is not necessarily a matter of trust it is a matter of law. It might be a good idea to avoid legal fees or loss of proptery by knowing what the law is thereby avoiding problems. Most businesses do not advertise the fact that they are going into bankruptcy so we are caught unawares... What I was trying to relay is that if you have doubts know your options. Under todays conditions I would be suspect of any storage facility, dealer in particular.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I am no expert but if I were in that position there is no way I would store a RV at any dealership. All RV dealerships are in a bad position at this time. And if they go bust, everything there is locked up. I recall reading about a horror story were this person had a Truck in for service and the place we bust and he had a heck of a time getting it out of lock up. As for Lawyers I'm not sure I trust them either. Its your decision, good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Confort zone??

are you a chance taker, a gambler?? leave it at the dealer.

are you more cautious, maybe a tad paranoid, which is NOT a bad thing?? get it outta there.

Got any friends with a big hunk of land?? even a small hunk of land, that are willing to share??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Makes one even wonder about leaving your 5er at a dealership for extended periods to have simple warranty work done?

I agree with Carol, being a bit overly cautious or even a bit paranoid during these times isn't a bad thing!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
In these times, ALWAYS get a receipt for leaving your unit, with the details as to why it is being left there, and the VIN and license plate numbers on the receipt, along with an estimate as when it will be ready or when you plan to pick it up.
I personally would not store my RV at a Dealer now, but would take it in for service when needed.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
When in doubt DON't.....you have too much to lose.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We're storing our rig on our property because I just feel uneasy not having it in sight for long periods of time anywhere. I agree with the above comments. If you have doubts, don't do it. Trust your gut.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I'd find another place to store it. Even if you had a trusted contact there, that person might not know the reality of the situation from day to day. Our builder has been in constant contact with the granite showroom in Belgrade that's redoing our granite countertops. Last week, they were "nearly completed," according to the owner of the showroom. When the builder couldn't get anyone to answer the phone on Monday, he drove over to see what was wrong. Surprise--the showroom was empty, the huge metal workroom was empty, and all the tools,fabrication machinery, and all the granite are GONE. The place is padlocked. (The builder immediately found another place to redo the countertops, which is good for us, but he's been stuck for a lot of extra money now.)

You'd probably sleep better if your RV were stored somewhere else.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #19
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Get a receipt for it when turning it in for repair? First time I've heard this and I have never been given any type of receipt whenever I've turning in my vehicles or 5er for repair.. I've signed a work order authorizing them to do work on the vehicle but don't even get a copy of that until work is done and paid for. Wonder what the dealer will do / say when I ask -- have to find out I guess.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Unlike most chattels, a vehicle has a certificate of ownership. A license plate that is connected to that certificate and a serial number that also connects both exist and connect to official DMV records. Hard for a sheriff or creditor or an unscrupulous operator to pass ownership to someone else. That being said, determining ownership at a point in time is a matter for the court and therefore involves proof of ownership as well as no encumbrance to that ownership held by the person in possession. If the current official records show you to be the owner, then the burden of proof that you are not is the other parties. Possession is not sufficient proof. However, why face this hassle? Save time and save money and go elsewhere. No I am not a lawyer, but have studied business law and experienced a service company that went bankrupt without warning. We recovered almost all of our equipment using original purchase and warranty records to prove we were the original owners. The receiver in bankruptcy could not produce any bill of sale or other documentation to show title had been transferred to the service company or its agents. Unfortunately some of the equipment was damaged or missing parts. The cost of seeking damages against the receiver or sheriff etc. wasn't worth it.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote