Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
to cover or not to cover

Hi everyone-
Sorry- I couldn't find another tread on this subject.
We live in CT and are leaving our Monty on our seasonal campsite for the winter.
I want to purchase a fifth wheel cover for the winter and the hubby says it's not necessary.
We have a roof/seam bubble, (I've read on other treads this is common)and he's worried about damage that might happen from the wind sliding the cover back and forth.
What's your recommendations? Do you cover your rig over the winter?
Thanks, Rosyriz

rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hubby is going to get lots of votes in his favor. Not a good idea.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There was a thread just in the last couple of weeks on this, change the time frame to about 2 weeks, should pop up.

Most of us vote

NOT

damage, etc.

Cheers,
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This has been tossed around quite a bit. It is a real good question for your circumstance. However, the consensus is that the damage the cover would cause negates any benefit you might receive. You might want to cover your tires to prevent UV ray damage.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
Darn-
I guess the hubby wins. Thanks everyone. Rosyriz
rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You both win - you save almost $300-$400!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
tkditta

M.O.C. #7627
I hate to go the other way but a good cover is worth is weight in gold, I live in CT and cover my 3605rl at the end of October (cleaned & waxed) I un-cover it some time in April and it is as Clean as the day I covered it. No black steak, no rain water in the awnings, rubber roof and gutters don't have rotten leaves in or no it. When you spend $65K+ a $ 1000.00 cover, is well worth it. By the way a $300. or $400. cover will last may be 2 years.
tkditta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
If your in a VERY windy spot I wouldn't cover
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
NOT to cover. I have seen and heard more bad stories about a covered RV than I have heard good ones.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Guess I am confused once again here. I take for granted a lot of what is said here with all the experience there is available. But again I have a 2007 3400RL and have covered it with an Adco cover here in Michigan every winter. I do not have a very big lot at all and my fiver sits under a huge maple tree. The motorhome I had before with a rubber roof looked terrible after a few yrs of winter under it. I have covered the fiver now for 2 winters and not a problem one. Its always freshly waxed, and when I take it off in the spring, it still looks brand new. I am also in a windy area as I can see out of the west 5 miles, so the wind in the winter here is very aggressive.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Guess I am confused once again here. I take for granted a lot of what is said here with all the experience there is available. But again I have a 2007 3400RL and have covered it with an Adco cover here in Michigan every winter. I do not have a very big lot at all and my fiver sits under a huge maple tree. The motorhome I had before with a rubber roof looked terrible after a few yrs of winter under it. I have covered the fiver now for 2 winters and not a problem one. Its always freshly waxed, and when I take it off in the spring, it still looks brand new. I am also in a windy area as I can see out of the west 5 miles, so the wind in the winter here is very aggressive.
I find this thread interesting, I see people cover there trailers winter after winter. I have not talked to them, but its pretty obvious if they were getting damage they would quit doing it. I would be interested to hear from someone who has actually had damage from covering there trailer. Every winter I entertain the thought, but then I read these threads, but never really heard what damage they cause. I would think if they were secured with some extra tie downs they would pretty secure. Maybe some can share some actual damage that has happened.

I would think a bubble in the rubber roof could be protected with something to prevent a cover rubbing directly on it. Other than mold in a wet climate, a person that is serious about wanting to protect with a cover could use the material they use to wrap a boat with for the winter, not entirely just the wear points, its a thought. The beating mine takes in the winter, I don't know how a cover could be any worse. I am pretty sure the snow and ice were the main cause for my front Montana graphics going bad with the snow and ice sliding down the curved front cap. The graphics are fine on the rest of the trailer. I can only imagine what that snow and ice is doing to the roof over time. Time will tell.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
We live in the Pacific NW. Where the Montana is parked it is under trees. I cover it. Without it the fir needles, maple leafs, and pitch would not go well on the unit. Have NEVER had any damage from cover in over 4 years. I got lazy when we came home last time because we were leaving again in about 10 days. Did not put cover on. Now I have to completly clean the 5er. I might add we are protected from the wind so I don't use the tie down straps.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you have a form-fitting cover, one that fits nearly like a glove, then there won't be a lot of reaction to any winds. It's the wind that causes the covers to irritate the surfaces of the RV. It isn't the roof that I get concerned about, even if it's ugly dirty (who sees it?). It's the surfaces where the covers cause abrasion due to the winds. I've never seen any rig that had been covered that didn't show some spots that were abraded or mildew had caused stains. We've had RVs that sat out in the winters in Iowa (it can get severe) without any type of covering and they all survived well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree wth ols1932. We tried one on a previuos RV here in Northern Ohio where we can be subject to gale force winds and driving snow during he winter. Lucky it blew off before it caused much damage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I think it depends mainly on the type of cover you use. My cover is from Adco, and its not exactly a form fitting type. I have covered things with vinyl tarps and seen the damage it does to the paint etc. Maybe I have been lucky so far with mine. One thing I will say though is, if you do cover put something over your downspouts from rain gutters as it will tear into the cover. Only damage I have had is to the cover itself. I bought mine from CW. It does fit pretty snug, and I use more tie downs than what they give you with cover.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I used the same cover as Champ-49 did on our other Montana twice. I had abraision marks on the air conditioner cover and scuff marks on the vent covers. It was also secured more than what they require. This was enough to make me realize that I could be doing other damage to the unit. Now that we have the new 2010, I wouldn't even consider covering it. I'm also getting at the age,if there is one, that I don't like to climb on top any more than I have to. I'll clean the roof, but laying out the cover and not stepping on things worries me.
Now that slightly used cover just sits quietly in the corner of the shed.Hmmmm, maybe I should take it to a rally and sell it in the yard sale!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For those that are PRO cover, I have a question, Just what are you trying to protect??

If it's the rubber roof covering it is not needed. As a fulltimer my rig sits out in the weather 24/7/365. At no time have I ever covered it and all the weather conditions it experienced it has shown no damage.
If you want absolute factual information attend the Fall Rally and be sure to attend the Dicor seminar. Dicor is the manufacturer of the roof. Dicor carries the 12 year warranty of the roof. Dicor does not recommend covering the roof as their roofing material is made to withstand the elements be they sun, snow, ice and dirt. Come to the seminar and ask your questions, I am sure you will come away with a totally different opinion.

One last thing,
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

.... I am pretty sure the snow and ice were the main cause for my front Montana graphics going bad with the snow and ice sliding down the curved front cap. The graphics are fine on the rest of the trailer. I can only imagine what that snow and ice is doing to the roof over time. Time will tell.
You want facts? Here is a fact...If snow and ice had anything to do with the peeling graphics explain to me how it is that I and many many other MOCers also have the peeling graphics problem. My rig has never ever been in freezing temps and the only snow it has ever seen was when we were in the mountains the summer of 2007 and yet my graphics are peeling. The roof is rubber snow and ice will not damage it. No more so than snow and ice on your 4 rubber tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I think there are some cases where a cover is needed - or at least desirable. Parking under trees that drop sap for instance, or to protect the surface from bird droppings. Perhaps covers that cause wear damage are the cheaper ones without proper linings and securing methods.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I agree with Tom on the tree sap or birds, but you still have to worry about the winds.
But as far as the cheaper ones causing wear damage, mine wasn't cheap at all. ADCO covers are not cheap.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We vote for no cover.

As far as UNDER trees, trees are nice, they provide shade, yepper. And, yessireeeee, they also provide sap, and bird white stuff, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Trees also FALL on stuff, including our rigs.

When we are at the stick built and Tana is in storage, she does not have a tree overhead. One behind her, which we have trimmed limbs off of so as to protect her.

Must be getting old, cause I even don't like to park under huge trees in a campground. SIGHHH

Another objection, for us, to a cover, is that it might be harder than heck to get off when it has 12 inches of snow on there. If I get a chance to escape winter, and there is a heavy cover with even heavier snow on it, and it would keep me, or hinder my escape. Well, you know fellas what they say about keepin momma happy?? I can guarantee ya, momma would NOT be happy with that scenario. Do we hear the word, UGLY, here??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote