Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Carrying Big Dogs

Hi guys,we're new to this forum this will be my first post.
We ordered a new 3400RL due in by the end of this month.This will be our first 5er.
I have been doing alot of reading here and gaining some fantistic information.We're excited about meeting new people and this owners club seems to have alot of nice ones.
Here's my question, We are going to carry our two large 80Lb labs with us and are trying to figure out how we'll acccommodate them.
Our TV is a 2007 GMC crewcab dually 8' bed.
I was thinking about removing the back seat and building a short platform with carpet,what do you think?
All suggestions would really be appreciated,many thanks in advance.

Jack and Terry

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Great idea. We traveled 8 yrs with a cocker spaniel and we fixed up the back seat for her, she loved it. Have a great time.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
First welcome to the forum

Next, sounds like a plan, just be sure to have some way to secure those big babies in place, like those seat belt harnesses or one heck of a BIG crate! For their safety and yours.

Might consider a ramp as well, that is a lot of dog to be lifting from ground to seat level.

Let us know what you decide - - HINT: we LOVE photos!

Enjoy that new rig!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
Hi Jack and Terry. We have a GMC 4500 Topkick as our TV. We also have 2 labs and what we do is just throw a sheet over the back seat so the dogs don't scratch the leather. Mostly they travel well there. It's just that the large puppy (1.5 years) takes up so much room sometimes that the other one gets scrunched up. Other than that they travel excellent.
1luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I have a 2007 Chevy CC dually, and just fold seat down and throw a sheet in for our lab. Makes a great platform and she can look out the windows as we go down the road.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
My husband and I travel with a Newfoundland, Roxie Mastif mix and a cocker. We have a 2006 2955RK 32' and pull it with a 2005 2500 Dodge Ram. Our back seat in the Dodge has a cargo carry so the back seat flips up and the cargo carry flattens out with put blankets down for the dogs and their happy and content.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We have a 2007 Chevy CrewCab dually and an 80 pound Golden Retriever. We fold down the back seat put his travel bed, pillows and a quiet chew toy in there for him and he is all set. He naps, looks out the windows and sets his nose on the back of the front console so that he can get his head scratched. With practice he is getting better about using the running board as a step when he gets out of the truck. We also always carry a small bowl and a water bottle for him.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We too have 2 labs, HUGE labs, not fat just BIG labs, about 90 to 100 lbs each. We have a 2500 HD Duramax crew cab. we fold down the backseats and put a large dog mattress in. It works great and the dogs love the space and they have some support while in the truck. We have a smaller mattress in the BS and we take the larger one out of the truck and put it on the living room floor for the other dog. If you have a shedding yellow lab the central vacuum go online and check out the Intervac website. They have a battery powered brush head for the central system and it pulls up the hair better than out home upright 'Hoover'.. Also get the spring loaded leashes, the ones that have about 30 feet of line in them. They really help when walking them. Last year we did the same trip in a 29 foot Jayco and it was very crowded. Good luck... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks to all who replied,good info.
Dave,you're probably the closest one I can relate to.
When you say fold down the back seat do you mean in the seating position? We have the 2007 and the back seat actually folds up,which
doesn't leave a lot of space. That's why I was thinking about talking out the seat entirely.
Iam glad you can relate to the shedding with the yellow lab,it's funny because my chocolate doesn't shed as near as much and their
littermates. Great suggestion on the vacumm power head. Iam assuming its the one for 169.95? They don't give much info. on it.
I'll for sure buy a couple of those leashes.
29' Jayco,that would be tight that was one of the reason we picked the 3400 because of the pampered pups.
Thanks a million Dave,I appreciate all the tips I can get.
Jack
Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
jjackflash,
You must have the new body style. An option instead of taking seat out is to buy a few cheap dog beds, and stack them in the floorboard and build it up to seat level. Then you can put a sheet over seat an beds, or even get a dog protector cover. Then you have dog beds for inside and outside camper when you get to destination.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
You're right 2007dura I do have the new body style.
Good suggestion,I did see in one of those dog catalogs
an inflatable bag that fits in between front and rear seats on the floor board and comes to the level of the rear seat.It's a thought.
Thanks for the idea.
Jack
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My truck seats fold forward and the seat back folds down making a wide flat area but it is not soft. It is hard metal with a piece of carpet over it. We use the dog mattress that is about the size of a baby crib mattress. it fits snug and covers most of the flat area. The vacuum head is the 169.95 version. It has a 7.5 volt rechargeable battery with charger. We have a yellow golden mix male and a pure bred chocolate female. The chocolate hardly sheds at all, it is the yellow that sheds 4 times a year. As far as the Jayco is concerned we had a great time in it but it was way to crowded. The inflate-a-beds will not hold up under Lab nails at all. Experienced in this area. Another suggestion, buy some cheap dark colored sheets to put on the couch when you aren't there. Our chocolate loves to sit in the corner of the couch like a bar hog. She really is a hoot. Get copies of all the vet info and stock up on meds, frontline,and heartguard. This time of year in Ga is prime tick season... Good Luck.. Dave and Betsy
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #13
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

The chocolate hardly sheds at all, it is the yellow that sheds 4 times a year.
4 times a year. You are very lucky. I have a yellow lab who sheds 365 times a year.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
LOL, I should have finished that statement, each shed lasts three months. Sorry... Dave and Betsy
Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

My truck seats fold forward and the seat back folds down making a wide flat area but it is not soft. It is hard metal with a piece of carpet over it. We use the dog mattress that is about the size of a baby crib mattress. it fits snug and covers most of the flat area. The vacuum head is the 169.95 version. It has a 7.5 volt rechargeable battery with charger. We have a yellow golden mix male and a pure bred chocolate female. The chocolate hardly sheds at all, it is the yellow that sheds 4 times a year. As far as the Jayco is concerned we had a great time in it but it was way to crowded. The inflate-a-beds will not hold up under Lab nails at all. Experienced in this area. Another suggestion, buy some cheap dark colored sheets to put on the couch when you aren't there. Our chocolate loves to sit in the corner of the couch like a bar hog. She really is a hoot. Get copies of all the vet info and stock up on meds, frontline,and heartguard. This time of year in Ga is prime tick season... Good Luck.. Dave and Betsy
Great suggestions Dave,I'll follow up on all of them.
Yeah,I can't believe the difference between my chocolate and yellow labs when it comes to shedding and their littermates too.
My yellow is very independent and the other is the opposite,go figure.
Again,thanks to all who replied,we can't wait to take deliverry on our 3400 and start setting it up for travel. I've got alot to learn.
Jack
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Jack,

Welcome to the forum you will find this an addicting place with time.

We had 2 Great Danes (250 pounds worth) sadly had to lay one to rest last Spring but we traveled all over the country with them. First in a 1999 Dodge club cab and then in our new to us 2003 Quad cab. We leave the seat in the back up and ran carpet runner all the way across the cab. Then put their dog beds back there. Pretty comfy for them, infact many times I wished they could drive and I could take the nap. We also have a 3400 and found that they are great to travel and live with, as we do fulltime in our 3400RL. The 3 things I do keep on hand are our carpet cleaner from our old stick house and a good beater brush Dirt Devil Dynamite and a small shop vac. We also have some large throw rugs to help the wear and tear on the carpet. You will find they are great to have along to make you feel at home after all they are family. Along with everyones elses ideas here you should have no problem.

Congrates on your new 3400RL you will be very happy with your choice.

Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Gina 06

Jack,

Welcome to the forum you will find this an addicting place with time.

We had 2 Great Danes (250 pounds worth) sadly had to lay one to rest last Spring but we traveled all over the country with them. First in a 1999 Dodge club cab and then in our new to us 2003 Quad cab. We leave the seat in the back up and ran carpet runner all the way across the cab. Then put their dog beds back there. Pretty comfy for them, infact many times I wished they could drive and I could take the nap. We also have a 3400 and found that they are great to travel and live with, as we do fulltime in our 3400RL. The 3 things I do keep on hand are our carpet cleaner from our old stick house and a good beater brush Dirt Devil Dynamite and a small shop vac. We also have some large throw rugs to help the wear and tear on the carpet. You will find they are great to have along to make you feel at home after all they are family. Along with everyones elses ideas here you should have no problem.

Congrates on your new 3400RL you will be very happy with your choice.

Tom
Thanks for the welcome Tom,I know what you're saying about being addictive. In 2004 I joined the RV.net forum and it's hard to keep away,there's so many great idea's and suggestions.I sure learn alot.
We hope to meet alot of people from this forum,everyone seems so nice.
I hope we'll be as happy with our 3400RL as you are,and thanks for the congrates we really appreciate it.
Jack
Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Hi there,
Joe and I have the 2004 Chevy extended cab with the suicide doors for the back seat and our seat does not fold down either - it goes up to get to the tool box underneath but thats it.
We have 3 large dogs 60 to 80 pounds (with long hair) and they shed year round too.
We built a wood and foam piece to place behind front seats and in front of rear seats that fills in the hole between seats. Put foam on top and covered it with fabric close in color to seats. Then we put a waterproof cover on back seat - from Cabela's and put a couple blankets in there and they are happy. Some grumbling happens when one of them wants to hog all the space but they work it out.
We also have a ramp that slides in and out that we can put on the door jamb and it makes it much easier for them to get in and out, especially the old dogs.
They love traveling with us - which is good because we live in our Monty.
Happy travels with your dogs - Oh and get one of those rubber fingered hair removers - I just got one after using the red cloth kind always - the rubber one is much much better.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We also have a 3400 on order and travel with our two labs, one yellow and the other black. the yellow one sheds all the time, too. Our 2005 GMC extended cab also has the seat that folds forward and the back that folds down. This blocks the AC vent in the back so we bought a seat cover from drsfosterandsmith.com. It stays in quite well and the hair actually shakes right off the suede like fabric. The "girls" love the soft seat and the hair stays mostly contained in the seat cover.

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks again for some more great suggestions.
Kevin and Sharon,when did they tell you your Monty will be ready?
We ordered ours at the RV show last month and they told us it would be ready by the end of this month.We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Good luck to you guys with your Monty.
Jack