Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Joseph Eason

M.O.C. #7116
Worn tires

All fours tires are worn on the inside only. Had all four brake assemblys replaced, any correlation or is there another problem. Need help with this one. I have a 2004 3655FL

Joseph Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hello Joseph, welcome to the family.

Did you notice any unusual wear patterns in your tires before you had the brakes replaced? Replacing the brakes should have no adverse effect on tire wear, unless something unusual happened during the process of repair, such as improper jack placement, or improper bearing adjustment.

It's possible the axles have lost their arch, they should be visibly higher in the center than at the springs. If this is the case, they can be re-arched by a shop that does trailer alignments. There may also be a way to get them warranted. I know some have had axle problems, and will be along to let you know their problems and the outcome.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Joseph Eason

M.O.C. #7116
Did not notice any wear before replacing brake assemblys. Watched him replace all four, he put the jack close to the tire on the axle each time
Joseph Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Joe I had a problem with my tires just after the first year of the new 2004 Mountaineer. Had to have the axles aligned and a new set of tires put on, with no help from Keystone or Alko, the axle manufacturer. Just got back from Destin Fla. and the tires are just like new still as the alignment was what was needed. I`ve probably got 9000 miles+ on them now.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
This can be caused by overloading of your trailer. You will need to get the rig weighed at a CAT scale located at the big truck stops. Do a Google on CAT scales and find the nearest one. Weigh each axle and the truck with the trailer on it and just the truck. There are directions for weighing your trailer in the manual.
I had the same problem with my 2004 3670RL. It was not overloaded but you will need the trailer weights before you start the process just to be sure. I found two problems on my unit. The axle manufacturer had some suspect axles that tended to loose their camber or arch about that time. I think it was a material problem and realigning or rearchiing them will be short term fix as they would not hold alignment. As well I had two different axles on my trailer. The front axle was a 6000 lb and the rear axle was a 5200 lb. I was having severe tire wear on both axles with the worst wear on the rear. Get under the trailer and copy the numbers off the tags on the axles and call the axle manufacturer first and Montana next for help on this problem.
Search the problem solving forum on you will find my thread. Good luck!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
You guys are scaring me about jacking up my camper.

I am having a problem with valve stems (posted about this last week) and plan to have all five replaced next week by my local tire shop. I am getting the new stems from my Montana dealer and expect them to be the correct ones and no more problems!!

If I was jacking up the camper I would put the jack where the springs bolt to the axle. Is this the correct place or am I getting ready to have a problem after the tire shop finishes? I have done a search of forum on axles as suggested by another post and nothing came back,
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I will bet you have Alko axles, there have been numerous problems. I couldn't tell you how many people I have seen with this same problem, most all were axle problems. That would be what I would look for first. You have a alignment problem, and a good alignment shop will have no problem with locating the problem... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Joseph, you will have to call Keystone first and get the ball rolling. Make a concern with them and then call AL-KO to get them on board. My experience was AL-KO told me they knew they had a problem with some axles back in 03/04. The explaination was , sorry about your problem, all they would do was send me two new axles and I would have to replace them and the tires myself! I then called Keystone back and told them I was very dissapointed with their suppliers. Their answer was, if you are not happy with one of their suppliers, you are not happy with Keystone! Well yeh! Keystone sent me two new axles and four new tires and payed for the replacement. What more could a customer ask for, I was very, very happy with the outcome. Don't be afraid and take no for an answer, call team Montana. richfaa has the phone #, you may have to do a search to find it.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Well we have a 2003 3295 with alko axles,tires wearing wierd found the problem is the bushings in the springs are plastic and wore out. pretty dissapointed in keystone for even using that kind of junk.
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote