Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
3075RL questions

I have been lurking here for the past few months and today we visit the local Montana dealer. We really like the 3075RL and according to the spec sheet it has the largest carrying capacity of any Montana.

However, I have a few questions for the group:

1.The sales guy was really trying to get me to buy the 5th wheel on the lot so, when I asked him about double pane windows he said “We never order them that way they really don’t do any good and add weight. All you need is the Arctic package”. Anyone out there have personal experience with the double pane windows or the Arctic package that would care to commit on this?

2.The 3075RL has the 2 dump values inside the basement like all of the Montanas I have seen. It looks to me that if the load in the basement where to shift that these values could get damaged. Anyone had any problems with these values?

3.The 3075RL has a more conventional 3rd dump value under the dinette slide. What is that about?

4.The 2007 brochure has the statement “The Montana comes equipped with the Mor/Ryde™ Suspension system.” I take this to literal mean that Mor/Ryde is standard in 2007. Has it always been a standard feature or had it been an option in the past?

5.The 3075 appears to be a very new floor plan but, has anyone had in any real world experience with this floor plan?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Welcome to the forum!!

#1: answer, yes, the double panes add weight, some members have em, and so far seem to love em, other members are afraid the seals will become damaged from hauling down the road, and have stayed away from then. Artic package, many differing opinions on this, noting we have a 2004, we feel it is great for the warmer weather, but so far, has not impressed us on our unit as doing much in the cold weather stuff. And, we have left here hauling for the warmer weather when it was 4 below, and camped in 17 above, with television antenna still frozen to the roof. There are many others with TONS more experience in cool/cold weather living that can share their experiences with you. A 2007 unit has numerous improvements that will make cool/cold weather living much more enjoyable over our 2004.

#3: answer, 3rd dump valve is for the GALLEY/ aka kitchen sink.

#4: Mor/Ryde is a newer development to Montana, not available on our 2004. Cannot remember exact date it started showing up.

Good luck with what ever rig you decide to purchase. Happy Trails

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 3075 has a nice open floor plan as well as the 3670 did,The deal breaker on the 3075 for us was the location of the W/D closet and they discontinued the 3670. We settled for the 3400 and are very satisfied, The Mor -Ryde RE suspension showed up about Nov 05 and is now standard on the Montana. Your salesman wasa trying to sell you what he had on the lot..that's what salesmen do. We did not order the dual pane windows because we intend to be in warmer climates in the winter time.If you need them get them..they defiantly help in cold weather. We have them on our home here in Northern, Ohio. Not sure how artic the artic package is.we got it more for the extra insulation to keep the hot air out. Have not had a problem with the dump valves but do use a lot of bungees to prevent the cargo from shifting,,Would do that in any case. Take your time get the Montana you want and will serve you best.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
We never saw the 3075 until after getting our 2955...but looks similar to our model,except the door is in the middle. We are having some problems with ours,need new AC circuit,new door,toilet gasket(twice) but hope to be happy owners real soon.

http://i4.tinypic.com/23s7t48.jpg[/IMG]
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree. If you need or want the dual pane windows, get them. They help in cold weather, in hot weather, and in sound deadening. But they are heavy. There have been some reports of problems with them losing the seal and thus the gas between the panes because of rough ride going down the road. I have no idea whether that is frequent or is the exception. I wouldn't mind having the dual panes but was worried about the seals, plus the weight. I wanted the high gloss and that adds weight, too. So it became an either/or.

That third tank valve is for the galley tank. Montanas have 2 gray tanks, 38 gallons each. One for the bathroom area (shower and sink) and one for the kitchen. Plus a black tank and fresh water tank.

If the valves are located like in the other Montanas, horizontal coming out of the vertical "step" area in the basement storage area, I've never heard of a problem with a load causing a problem. When you're traveling the valves are closed. In 50k miles on this Montana and I don't know how many miles on the previous Montana we've never had a problem with the location of those valves. I wouldn't worry about that.

Most dealers require you get the arctic package. I wouldn't be without it if you will be in any freezing weather. All it is is a foil blanket that sits in the belly as insulation. The new Montanas have been tested down to zero degrees without freezing, a big improvement over our 2003 model. You can download the 2007 brochure at this location - it is 3.3mb in size. http://www.keystone-montana.com/?pag...rature&doc=126

The mor/ryde suspension on the Montana is the Mor/Ryde RE system, not the full blown system. It is a rubber equalizer (probably a simplified description) but supposedly works very well. As Rich said, it is now standard on Montanas.

Sorry, I have no experience with that model but it looks to be a nice one.

Good luck. Don't hesitate if more questions.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #6
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We have dual pane windows, and really like them. They keep it cooler in the heat and are a big plus in cooler weather (which we try and avoid!) We also have the artic package. In freezing temperatures we have been cosy and nothing but the water hose has frozen. In heat, we seldom have to use the air conditioning. (High 80's) As long as we close shades on sun side and use the ceiling fan and fantastic fan.

SMC
Montana 2980RL
Dodge 1 ton Dually 4x4
Fulltiming

http://spaces.msn.com/members/ttsmc
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
SMC, someone told me the dual pane windows have no provision for opening windows. Is that correct? Probably a small price to pay but I'm wondering. Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #8
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I live full time in a 2004 3670RL. It is the most open floor plan of all and I love it. Carol, can spread her quilting stuff all over the floro with no obstructions and I can easily do pushups and stretching. The 3075RL is very similiar to the 3670RL. It is just 2 ft shorter which is no big deal. I believe the 3670RL had the highest cargo carrying capacity of all 2004 models as well. Anyways, I'm saying that it is a great floorplan and you will love it.

The dealer I bought my montana from told me that the double pane windows lose their seals and he has seen water filled halfway up the windows in between the panes. What a pain (all pun intended). I don't know how often this happens, but they do add weight and that reduces your cargo carrying capacity. But let's face it you don't want to be carrying so much stuff around that you are approaching the cargo carrying capacity anyways. The lighter the trailer the easier it is to tow.

I think everybody else answered your question about the dump valves etc... No problems with my valves and traveling. Good luck and remember that whatever unit you chose you will have for a long time.

Tim Marshall
2004 3670RL Montana
2002 F-350 powerstroke diesel
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The 3075 is a 2980 with increased axle capacity and no kitchen counter parallelling the long axis of the coach.

Re the Artic Insulation Package (AIP)...you'll notice in the 2006 brochure where they talk about construction and all the high "R" ratings for insulation, there is a note stating (for the ceiling, walls and floors)..."When Equipped With Arctic Insulation Package." So without the AIP you don't have much insulation. It just about falls into the "Mandatory Option" catagory.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As I don't have the dual pane windows I can't really comment on their worthiness. Maybe with the heat this summer they may have been a plus but I somehow doubt that. I have added the aluminum sheets much like what is used in the Artic package to all windows facing the sun. I don't do any weather that gets much colder than +40.

The 2 dump valves have been explained AND this is how I solved the possible problem with the location of the 2 valve handles and gained a bit of storage.

Did it more for the additional floor space but the possibility of something shifting, such as the compressor, and doing damage was also a factor.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glenn,
Nice. Could we hire you to organize us? (I for one could use it.)
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ain't it amazing how organized a compartment can look just as you're about to take pics? Gotta look at it now.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I really like your shelf idea for the additional floor space. How did you fasten the shelf down? Just screws and washers? Any supports underneath? Thanks.

According to the 2004 specs, the 3295RK had the most carrying capacity, same as 2003. 3,940 pounds. I see for 2007 the 3295RK shows 3,405 lbs., second to the 3075RL at 3,835. I haven't a clue how this is actually figured. I've emailed, hoping to hear about this but don't have a lot of hope for a reply.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Glenn, I really like your shelf idea for the additional floor space. How did you fasten the shelf down? Just screws and washers? Any supports underneath? Thanks.
Nothing holding it down other than the weight of items setting on it.
On either end the of the compartment there is an approx 2" lip. Cut the shelf to the exact width, set it on the lip and it can't slide back or forth. Found no center support needed. Normally the items sitting on the shelf are my AutoFormer, 2 element water filter, the compressor and part of the case of water. Be sure the shelf is upside down so that nothing slides out when you open the door.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great idea Glenn I was wondering where I would spend money this week..thanks for the solution.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Montana_5307

M.O.C. #5307
We received our 3075 this spring in April.
1. We didn't opt for the double pane windows. Experienced moisture in between panes and fogging up. We usually don't have extreme temperatures where we are.
2. Can't say much about valve damage. I usually store blocks I use for leveling under the valve handles to minimize damage from shifting load. FYI - Water drained thru the vanity goes into the black tank to keep the stuff liquid.
3. Agree with CountryGuy, the valve is for the Galley.
4. Our 2006 3075 was the first year Mor/Ryde was implemented. Really smoothes the ride out.
5. We love the floor plan. Really room to spread out. We kept our FW down to 33ft 7in so that we could visit many national parks. The floor plan compensates for the shorter length.
I really believe you will like it too.
Larry
Montana_5307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #17
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Sreigle, not sure what you mean? Our windows all open except the big one in the bedroom,

SMC
Montana 2980RL
Dodge 1 ton Dually 4x4
Fulltiming

http://spaces.msn.com/members/ttsmc
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve and SMC
I think that is what Steve had heard as we had a discussion about that some time ago. If you don't have the dual pane, there is a screen on that bedroom window. If you do, no screen. It still opens because that is the emergency window but you can't leave it open unless you are in a bug free zone.
Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #19
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
WOW, 17 replies!

Thank you all for responding. We still plan to check out a few other brands before we buy but, we both really like the layout, size and NCC of the 3057.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
RovingGnome..."5. We love the floor plan. Really room to spread out. We kept our FW down to 33ft 7in so that we could visit many national parks. The floor plan compensates for the shorter length."

FWIW, the brochure says 33' 7", but the factory spec sheet says 34' 8" (cap to bumper).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote