Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
Auto former

Somewhere on this forum this morning I read about someone who bought or was going to buy an "autoformer" so that he would be protected against loss of voltage at a campground. I went into a local camping place to buy one or at least price one and the people didn't know what I was talking about. I don't really know what I'm talking about either! Would someone here set me straight? Thanks!

Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Karen,

Go to www.pplmotorhomes.com here you'll be able to see what they are and maybe have one shipped to you. That's where we got ours. You may also do a Google search for Hughes Autoformers for info.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Karen:
If you want to see a photo of an Autoformer, this link might work:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=3251&src=SRQB

[The price is clearly not as good as that available in the earlier reference.]
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Been there, done that. We purchased our Autoformer a month or so ago and it is well worth the money. They are a bit pricey but I wouldn't want to be without mine. The price of the Autoformer is cheap compared to replacing an A/C with a burnt out compressor due to low voltage. The Autoformer automatically boasts your voltage 10% whenever the campground drops below 118 volts
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How often does this happen? I have never experienced it, however, doesn't mean it didn't happen while I was gone with the air off. I also have never heard of any campers complaining about it. How heavy is this unit?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We are finding that it happens far too often, even when not using the air conditioner. I would guess that over half the sites we have stayed in the last 6 weeks touring the NE we have had low voltage. We have gotten into the habit of checking the outlet for proper polarity and ground before we ever park the trailer. However you can't check the voltage till you put a load on it. We have a volt meter that plugs into an outlet so we can monitor the voltage all the time. Without a voltmeter, you may not know you have a problem till an appliance quits.

We are parked in Gorham NH right now and the voltage dipped below 100volts with less than 30A load yesterday, so we have to watch what we use and when we use it. I am not sure how much of this low voltage problem is the campground wiring and how much is Keystone's wiring, but either way the low voltage can hurt some appliances and will shorten the life of most motors.

Hate to add the weight and spend the money to correct other people's wiring problems, but it is starting to look like most campgrounds and manufacturers could care less. We do have a small UPS system with a voltage regulator for the computers.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The threat posed by low voltage is primarily to motors especially to those in airconditioners. These motors are wound in such a way as to draw more current as voltage goes down. This sort of winding allows them to start under load. When the voltage drops and current goes up, the motor starts to run hot eventually cooking itself to death. Low voltage is not usually a problem for modern electronic devices such as computers or solid state TV's
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
unfortunately, the Autoformer we purchased from Camping World appears to be doing an excellent job but if it is ever hit with a power surge it much be sent back to the factory to be reset ... for this reason we ended up having to purchase an additional (high $$$) surge protector to plug into the CG electricty prior to the Autoformer

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Question regarding which autoformer to buy...We use the 50 amp hook up while parked here in Texas but use 30 amp usually when travelling. If we put in the 50 amp autoformer, is there a problem using 30 amp hook up? I hope I make sense as I am electronically challenged.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You can hook up to 30 amp service WITH a 50 amp autoformer. We went with 50 amp autoformer so we can use 50 amps when we sit for LONG times. 30 amp service works great in the state parks we frequent in the summer months and the 50 amp autoformer works just fine under those conditions.

We suggest going with 50 amp autoformer. Then you can go both ways.

Oh, and add a whole house surge protector BEFORE the autoformer, as JEBar points out, if the autoformer takes a direct hit it must be returned to manufacturer. Hopefully if you take a big hit, the whole house surge protector put BEFORE the autoformer will protect the autoformer. (Al has some of this data on our web page,look at the top left corner of our home page, for stuff about Montana improvements, etc. If I remember correctly, he has more info on the whole house surge protector there, as well as his installation.)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't have the autoformer, yet, but I plan to get one. We normally connect to 30 amp but during the winter months in cold country I prefer to connect to 50 amp. Our Montana has the older 50-amp service that's really 20 amps for the second AC prep (we don't have the second ac) and 30 amps for the rest of the coach. If we're in a park with a weaker 30-amp breaker then that breaker will pop before our breaker inside the coach. That means I'd have to go outside in the cold (and possibly ice or snow) to reset the breaker. By connecting to 50 amp it's far more likely we'll pop the inside breaker first. Just something I figured out after it hit me over the head a few times. In snowy weather with temps in the teens.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks for the advice. Camping World has a flier out right now and there is $100 off the 50 amp autoformer. Regular $599, club sale $499. until Oct 2nd. Does that sound like a good price? or can we get the same thing elsewhere cheaper?
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #13
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Imp,

Have a look at www.pplmotorhomes.com

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

How often does this happen? I have never experienced it, however, doesn't mean it didn't happen while I was gone with the air off. I also have never heard of any campers complaining about it. How heavy is this unit?
Since purchasing ours this past June we have been in 4 cg's with less than adequate voltage. The cg we are in as I type this is only delivering 108 volts. The autoformer has boosted that voltage to 118. Also as I type this it is 92 degrees with hi humudity. I would not want to try running the AC with only 108 volts.

The 30AMP weighs 24 pounds
Old 09-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, just curious... why not the 50 amp? I will surely look into this as an necessary purchase!
Dave
Old 09-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #16
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
After experiencing very low voltage at Chesapeake Bay this summer, fellow RVers said it was cheap insurance to have an Auto Former. Bought a 50 AMP version with no regreats.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Glenn, just curious... why not the 50 amp? I will surely look into this as an necessary purchase!
Dave
The 04 2955RL is only 30 AMP. In 05 they went to 50AMP. All new Montanas are now 50AMP
Old 09-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This subject comes up quite often, especially after someone goes into an RV park with low voltage. I have never heard of anyone sending an autoformer back to the factory to be reset. However, I guess it could happen.
When I'm in a park with low voltage, I connect my autoformer to the park recetacle and my surge protector between the autoformer and the rig. This is because of two reasons: 1) I need to build the voltage up above 102 volts so that the surge protector will work; and 2) I still protect my rig from surges. IF a surge happened to ruin my autoformer, I can still be protected. I'd rather buy a new autoformer than have to replace a lot of items inside the rig.

It's a lot better to be safe than sorry. You can save a lot of pennies and have to spend a lot of dollars.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just an update...
The last 3 campgrounds have had 110 volts or less. From St Louie to Memphis and now Nashville. Also for the past 3 weeks it has been HOT and HUMID and the A/C has been run everyday. I am so very glad I have the Autoformer for I am sure my A/C's compressor would be toast by now.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm pulling this old thread back up as I am researching autoformers again.

ols1932, I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say in your preference for your surge protector AFTER your autoformer? Aren't you protected as long your surge protector is ANYWHERE before the rig? I am not familiar with the need for 102 volts for the surge protector to work. Are you saying that if you are sitting below 102 v that your surge protector is not activated and unprepared to take a sudden power surge? I'm trying to educate myself on this. Thanks.

Dave