Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Streets & Trips 2006 has voice!

Good news for all you GPS users! I just picked up the latest version of MS Streets & Trips 2006 at Costco and it now includes the one big element it was missing that being voice prompted directions. In my book this was the only thing that Delorme Street Atlas that S & T was missing.

I haven't tried it yet as I am not going anywhere but maybe tomorrow I'll set up the GPS in the car and test it out. Too bad it wasn't out three weeks ago, we could have used it on our 2000 mile trip with the Montana.....

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I have it and have used it once. Seems to work pretty good. I am still trying to fumble my way through the program to learn how it works. Oh, and does anyone have suggestions for laptop mounts in the truck?
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #3
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
You can try either http://www.ram-mount.com/ or http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/st...namicIndex.asp
I have a Jotto Desk in my Astro and really like it.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That jotto desk is nice....but 300.00 is kind of pricey.Our P.C sets on the consule of the F-350 and whoever is in the right seat does the P.C work.It really would not be a good idea to be driving and working on or looking at the P.c.We also have a adjustable lap shelf that works real good and cost like 29.95.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
richfaa, I believe that the adjustable lap shelf that sits in your lap is made in Rancho Cucamonga. My sister sent me his website but I lost it. Is there anyway that you could remember the name of the device or the website? Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I bought it before we left the Reno Rally area. The lack of voice prompting was the reason I continued to use Street Atlas over Streets and Trips. I've used S&T now for about 900 miles of towing and school is still out. There are some things I still prefer in SA but others I prefer in S&T. I am compiling my suggestion list for MS's site for suggestions. For one, the voice doesn't prompt me until about a quarter mile before the turn. That's a little late when you find you need to change lanes in traffic with the Montana hanging out the back. So I occasionally glance at the 'next turn' driving guidance instruction along with the miles until the turn to keep abreast of it.

Also, the voice just says in two tenths of a mile turn left. It doesn't tell me the name of the street. If it's a five-way intersection or there are two streets close together... So I again look at the map. The driving guidance instruction has the street name and is in a large type.

I also like to know both the next turn and the one after that in case the second closely follows the first. I like to know which lane to get into and how quickly. SA tells me that, S&T does not. But if I turn on the driving directions pane, the one that lists all the turns, I can look up there to see how far to the second turn and prepare myself for that.

The voice is a major improvement and caused me to try the product. I will continue to use it for our remaining five travel days until we reach our "holidays homebase" near the kids. I'd like to see some additional changes but so far I like it, with the above exceptions. I prefer S&T for route planning, much easier to learn and use for that purpose. I'm still undecided whether I will stay with it for on the road navigation but at this point I'm thinking I will.

I am finding S&T has the same kinds of map anomalies SA has. Not necessarily the identical problems but the same type. For example, I'm planning our route to south Texas for next January. There's a campground at Newcastle, OK, I'm considering for our first night out. The Passport America and Trailer Life directories say go west on HE Bailey Spur, then turn north on OK 76. However, S&T says there is no way to exit the spur onto 76 and wants to take me way around. So I just put the stop in the middle of that intersection and added a pushpin with instructions to get to the campground. SA would let me build a navigable road to connect the two but S&T won't. SA has similar problems, though.

One thing I **really** like about the new S&T is the **option** to use dynamic turn view. That option auto zooms the map so you see then next two turns, no matter how far apart. But as you get closer and closer to a turn, it zooms the map to provide more details about the area and the turn. I understand SA2006 has this, too. In S&T you can use that dynamic turn view OR choose the option to keep the location centered on the map. That one does not auto zoom. You can manually zoom with the + and - key. Or you can choose to have neither of those options. You can also choose to rotate the map so your current moving direction is always up. So does SA but S&T does better at moving the map so I can better see what's ahead of me. SA waits until you are almost to the top of the map before it advances the map. I prefer S&T's method on this.

Sorry so long. I got a new toy and have been playing with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #7
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Hi Steve,

I agree with most of what you say. S&T is super easy for route planning but SA is better on the road. To be honest, I have used S&T 2005 extensively but I haven't tried S&T 2006 with the GPS on a trip yet, just around the town. If I could import S&T routes into SA I think I would go that route.

I find that if you wait long enough Microsoft will steal/copy/buy all the good features of the competition. After all, if it wasn't for the Macintosh, PC users would still be staring at the C> prompt.

My biggest gripe about SA is that I still don't really understand the user interface. It seems so counterintuitive compared to S&T. I am not a big Microsoft fan but you can learn to use S&T easily and effectively without reading the manual (almost like a Macintosh )and I can easily modify a generated route to include or avoid roads I want or don't want. Every time I use SA I find my blood pressure rising because I know what needs to be done but can't remember/find their arcane way of doing it!

Looking forward to seeing the 2007 editions!

By the way, I have been playing with this: I have a device that allows you to play your cassette/iPod etc through the car radio. It also works with the laptop. I can start the trip with the laptop almost closed but running on the back seat and a cable from the speaker out to this device. I turn on the radio and drive. When SA or S&T has something to say, it just comes over the radio.....
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
gonfishin If you go to my photo site you will see a album there for truck laptop mount. I got it off ebay. Ron Ames has one also. If you can't find it let me know and will see if I still have the link. or do a search here. i think I put it on a topic somewhere. Getting ready to leave to go where else but camping.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

richfaa, I believe that the adjustable lap shelf that sits in your lap is made in Rancho Cucamonga. My sister sent me his website but I lost it. Is there anyway that you could remember the name of the device or the website? Kathi
We got the the lap top shelf at wall mart...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've continued to use the new S&T 2006 and still like most of it. One thing that is a problem, though, is when I have it set on "dynamic turn view". This is where it will keep the next and the second next turn on the map, zooming the map as you approach that first turn. When you are near that first turn it zooms in to a detail level that's very helpful in seeing exactly which of these upcoming streets is your turn.

The problem is that it often seems to get hung up when it zooms to this level and will sit without moving at all for a couple of minutes or more. Then it will pick up and continue. Unfortunately you lose the guidance when it gets hung up so it's easy to miss your turn.

Has anyone else experienced this with the new S&T 2006?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #11
MertelBeach

M.O.C. #4152
We just got our 2006 S&T GPS, never had or used one before. On the short term, we have put a thin piece of board over our console and strapped it down. (We cut out holes to continue using the cupholders in the console and rounded the corners and put a coat of spray paint on the board for safety sake.) It is long enough that it extends to the dash. On top of that, we used plastic ties to hold an old plastic turn table to the board. Our laptop sits on the turn table. We devised this as a temporary solution. It has been very effective so far and may remain as our permanent "desk".
MertelBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #12
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I just picked up S&T '06 tonight. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but have heard enough good hings about it here I figured I would give it a whirl. Will liet you know how it goes when we return after the holidays.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:38 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Update on the problem with s&t hanging up on the dynamic turn view. I posted this in a usenet newsgroup and an MS MVP asked me to try with the trails turned off. Did so and that seems to have eliminated the problem. Others were reporting the same problem.