Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
No More Slider Problems-2955RL

With the help of Dale (MIMF) at Lippert and my wonderful Sales Service folks at FOX RV in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, my slider problems are gone. I discussed with Dale that on my 2955 the dining room slider started to fail by stopping more and more when retracting, especially when the weather gets cool. You could hear the circuit breaker resetting. Press the button and it would start to retract again. Dale emailed me the solution and I gave it to FOX RV specifically Mark the service manager. They implemented the replacement of the original 50 amp breaker, and replaced it with two new 50's in parallel. Works like a charm. Thanks to MIMF and to FOX RV, they really believe in service, I would recommend them to anyone.

Also, what a source of information our board is we Montana owners should be very thankful for the power this board gives us as consumers.

We are having a beautiful Indian Summer day in Northern Wisconsin, happy weekend to all!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wait a min..am I to understand that it takes more than 50amps and less that 100 amps to bring that slide in??? Will the 3670RL that I will be ordering have 100amp service for the slides????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
According to MIMF the motor can draw up to 100 amps. If for what ever reason the 50 amp breaker is weak it can reset. Then every time this happens the breaker becomes weaker and weaker. And it is more of a problem with colder temperatures.

You can do a search and find out more specific info on the board.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I remember that conversation and I remember thinking if the motor can draw up to 100 amps how come it is protected by a 50 amp breaker??? How come???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Buck, thanks for the kind words! I am only doing what I get paid to do. What a way to make a living?!?!

Rich, The motor on the pump is protected by with a 50 amp auto-reset breaker for several reasons. Most importantly, the auto-reset is used so that you as the end user don't have to go out to the battery compartment to physically reset it every time it pops. A 50 amp is used because that is, as I understand, the highest rated auto-reset breaker in 12 volt most readily available and the most economical to use.

In most cases, a 50 amp will normally do the trick. However, it is not uncommon for the motor to draw more than 50 amps. Particularly when the weather cools down because, the oil stiffens slightly and doesn't flow as easily. Therefore, the pump motor has to work a little harder and draws more amperage from the battery. It is not uncommon for the motor to draw up to 80 amps under some conditions.

If using a 50 amp breaker is a concern to you, it would be practicle for you to go down to your favorite auto parts store and buy a 12 volt 80 amp manual reset and that would work just fine.

If you have any further questions, you know where I can be found.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I personally wouldn't worry about it until it happens and then Keystone or Lippert will fix it. We had the same thing on this one back in July, 2002. Our dealer talked to Keystone who sent the new breaker and never a problem since. Just put it on your list of things to watch for.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote