Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Hello from a Hope to be Montana Owner!

My name is Dave and my wife's name is Gloria and I would like to say Hello to all of the owners out there that make this a wonderful forum.

If you check my sig, you'll see that currently we own a Trail-Lite 8305S TT. We did not have our current TV at the time and that was the biggest, lightest thing we could tow with our V-8 Grand Cherokee. As you can imagine, it was pretty interesting towing a 6100lb trailer with a 4100lb Jeep. We were fortunate enough to be able to order a 2004 2500HD Chevy with the Duramax engine, and our towing issues have disappeared.

Sorry to ramble.

Anyway, we have always liked the Montana line for all of the reasons that you guys already know. We've been looking at them since 2002. We just never expected that we would be able to afford one for a few years and we thought that we would just make the jump to a Class A MH.

But again good fortune is coming to us and it looks like we will be able to become Monty owners later this year.

I'm sorry not to have introduced myself sooner, I just wanted to read all the information I could and felt now is the right time. I tend to study an issue for quite a while before making such a major decision and with all of your help, I'm sure we will make the correct one.

We are currently looking at the 3400RL model, (that's almost sounding like a cliché). But it is a beautiful coach and we were lucky enough to see a 2005 model from the outside. Our local dealer did not have any more Monty's at all. But this was an owner's that looked like it was prepped. It even had the Trail-Air pin box that we want to have installed due to the opinions expressed here on the forum.

We want to get the best deal possible on the unit and will hit up all of the shows that we can make in the NW Ohio, Michigan, Indiana area.

My wife and I both grew up camping and have made the progression from tents to Pop-up, to TT. We appear to be youngsters in this crowd, as we are 45, (me) and 54, (don't say I told you her age)

Any tips on the best time to buy or dealer will of course be appreciated greatly.

The nice thing about the information expressed here on the forum is that it is useful whether one owns a Monty or not. We are already going to try the Calgon trick in our Black tank and see how it works.

Hopefully, I can return the favor in assisting some of you on the information I've learned over the years and as being a TT owner.

For you veteran's out there, I was in the Subfleet from 1978-1988, (Nuc MM) and currently work at a Nuclear Power Station.

Again, thanks for the wonderful site and for the great atmosphere.

DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Welcome and here's hoping your dreams come true sooner than later!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Welcome to MOC. The 3400RL is certainly getting to be the most popular new model. I always felt that RV shows were not the place to purchase a new unit. It cost the dealers a lot of $$ to attend those shows and they have to recoup the cost. The dead of winter would be the best time in my opinion, but it is just my opinion. Happy camping !!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum. Glad that you're able to glean some of the info that the forum has to offer. The 3400 is a great unit. Hope you're able to enjoy your Montana soon.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Thanks all for the welcome!

palebluedot,

Thanks for the tip. I may try the fax and bid approach also.

73's KE8KC
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
The 3400 Montana is a beautiful unit. We love ours and we looked at every brand before we bought. This is our 3rd 5th wheel and we knew what to look for.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:55 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Dave and Gloria to the MOC family.

Well your choice in a TV shows you have great taste and now your decision to go with a Monty shows even greater taste.

I am going to disagree with palebluedot in that we did buy our Monty at an RV show in Harrisburg PA. That was back in September of '03 and after having spent nearly 2 years on the MOC forum and hearing some prices others have paid I know we could not have made the same deal in any dealers showroom. My price on the 2003 2955RL loaded with options and the PullRite Superglde hitch thrown in was lower than what some folks tell me they paid for their 01 and 02 2955RLs.
At the bigger RV shows, and Harrisburg is the biggest on the east coast, you not only have the dealers wanting you in their RV but you also have all the RV manufacturers and the accessory manufacturers wanting you using their products and they will do whatever it takes. I not only had the dealers rep vying for my business but also the Montana factory rep and the PullRite factory rep had their pencils sharpened.
So don't pass up the bigger RV shows. Having done your homework beforehand, show up with both barrels loaded and stand your ground until you have the absolute best deal and just as you are about to sign on the dotted line stop and say "By the way I would also like the Trail-Air thrown in". That tactic got me the $2200.00 PullRite.
But like palebluedot said "it is just my opinion."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome. Glad the forum has been a help so far and that you decided to post. I've seen some posts on the forum by folks who were lucky enough to get a new unit from a dealer who had older models to get off the lot before new shipments came in. Don't know if that happens often or not with the Montana - it seems like they move pretty fast. At any rate, you will benefit from the experiences of others here at MOC. Good luck in your search for the best deal possible. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the MOC. Sounds like you have experience aplenty. We look forward to your contributions. Happy hunting and RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Welcome to MOC! The hunt is all part of the fun. Good luck and I hope you find the unit you like.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DavesDmax..You might want to check out Town& Country Rv center In Clyde, Ohio ..That is not very far from you.They have a 2006 3400 on the lot.Helen and I looked at it Last Sat. We will probably buy our Montana there. They also sell and install the trail air system for LESS than the trail-air plant. A friend of ours just got a 3670 from them and got a SUPER deal. However I agree that the RV show is the place for the best deals..Town& Countery goes to the Toledo Show in Feb..we will be there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Dave and Gloria. It sounds like you've been doing your homework.

You can often negotiate an even better price while at the show. You can do just as well, sometimes better, in the dealers showroom. Been there, done that. Any dealer will likely tell you, if you ask, that he will match or beat the price you saw at the show. We asked and we did get a better price.

We bought our first Montana while tromping around in six inches of snow with temperature at 28F. We were not the only customers on the lot. After buying the rig, and while chatting with the dealer, I mentioned tromping around in the cold weather but I felt we got a better deal because we came during the cold, snowy offseason. He told me he averages far more sales during those months than people realize. Lots of people think like we did and buy during the offseason. I still think you might do better in the winter (if winter is cold in your area). End of month, maybe end of quarter, whenever the end of the period their bonuses are figured on. If you can figure that out, you might do even better.

Be aware the 2006 models are being delivered now. Not September like cars. 2005's are now last year's model so get an extra discount for that. Many people do not realize you can and should get a rather substantial discount off any new RV, no matter where and when you buy it. Many pay too much because they are unaware. We have a couple of people here reporting 30% discounts for the current year models. Quite a few report 25 to 30 percent. You should be able to get 20% just by asking for it. We asked for 20% and the dealer didn't even blink an eye. On either of our two new Montanas (different dealers). They just said 'OK'. I should have figured at that point I could do even better but I didn't.

Good luck. You are making a wise decision to buy a Montana, in my estimation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Thanks all for your kind words and support!

Steve, we will take your advice about show deals and being patient. I don't want to rush out and regret the indiscretion later.

Rich,

Thanks for the tip. Town & Country is our local dealer, (We live about 10 miles away.) We looked there about 3 weeks ago and they didn't have any. We are going to Harbor Town RV resort, in Monroe, MI this week end, but we may sneak over next week. I would also like to check Couch's out down near Cinci. I would prefer to buy at T&C since that would be our service point... All they will have to do is get close.. A friend of mine just bought a 3295RK from them at the Toledo show earlier this year and got a pretty decent deal, 36 with hitch. I haven't worked the math yet on that one, but it can't be too far off of the magic 30%.

I kind of thought they did Trail-Air when I saw a 3400RL on their prep lot with one on.

The big problem with finding an 2005 3400RL is that there are maybe 10 left in the U.S. that aren't sold yet... Supply and demand also make for a seller's market. So, I'll have to be coy...

Thanks again for all your help for this Newbie.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, keep in mind if you buy from someone else your local dealer may refuse to do warranty work. Some will, some won't. There is nothing in their contract to require them to work on something they did not sell. We've had good luck with dealers so far but there are several instances reported in this forum where a dealer said he does not have time to work on anything other than for his own customers. I think in some cases they said they won't do it period. So wherever you buy, be sure you are willing to take it back to that dealer if your local won't work with you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote