Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Putting a Remote Water Pump Switch Outside?

2013 3400 RL
I really like the winterize feature. Being able to siphon up the antifreeze is slick. BUT, having to run around the coach and up into it, to turn on the pump is really stupid. Why didn't Keystone place a pump switch right in the compartment like other manufactures have? Has anyone retrofitted a switch into that compartment?
Also, how could I use that system to draw vinegar into the water heater for a bi-annual flush? If I leave the heater bypass off, and open a hot water valve on the exterior shower, will it just draw it into the empty heater?
Thanks in advance!

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you have to go inside and run the faucets,so why do you not start there to winterize? stick the hose into the gallon and walk inside and then start the pump. Once the lines are full it will act just like it is drawing from your tank.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
That sounds like a good idea - since I just finished replacing our pump I know right where to put one (near the top of the white plastic separator above the pump but on the basement side). I'm not going to get to this until later this year, but certainly before fall. Figure I'll put a rocker switch that's wired into the hot leg to the pump and can interrupt it to turn it off. It'll be on all the time until winterizing. Then I can control the pump by leaving the inside switch on and turning the basement one off & on.

If you want to draw vinegar in, you could do the same as for antifreeze.

If your bypass is off, I believe that should draw it into the heater.