Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Tool boxes--low profile or chest?

I know I've seen a thread on tool box recommendations, but I have been unsuccessful in finding that information tonight. If you can direct me to that discussion, please do so!

If not, we'd like some advice about the kind of tool box to add to our TV. The chest-type boxes wouldn't be a problem with the Monty, and every salesman we've talked to also swears that the low-profile boxes (the ones that go over the bed rails) work just fine with 5th wheel, too. But before we get a box, we'd like to know what we should look for if we did get a low-profile box with the thinner ledge or lip that goes over the truck bed rails (not the kind of crossover box that has the bigger lip or ledge on it).

If we could just see the box before we bought it, we could probably judge which would work best. But (and again), we live in a rural part of Montana, and most of the stores we've been to have only 4 or 5 boxes to look at; anything else has to be ordered from a catalog. Scary.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne and Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If I got a low-profile tool box, I would NOT be able to see where the pin mates with the hitch and that's important to me but I'm kind of short. I also have a BAKFlip cover when folded almost hides the view of the pin, but I can raise myself in the seat to see okay. The cover is another reason I wouldn't be able to open a toolbox that was against the front of the bed because the cover goes over the bed too far. Lastly a tool box means I'll be carrying a bunch of stuff in the toolbox all the time and that's not only extra weight in the truck bed, but I often remove everything in my truck bed for other reasons and this would be difficult for me to remove.

Others use low profile tool boxes, at the height bed rail tool boxes and under the bed rail tool boxes quite successfully, but it depends on what you're looking for. I just brought up some concerns for me, but they may not be concerns for you.

Let us know what you decide.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I live in tool-box heaven. I buy Weathergard, I think the best, besides the Koenig, which I also have, but really many of the toolboxes are good, stay away from the plastic/rubber types.
I chose a chest for my Rv tool-box, but the lip type would be fine as well. I put 3 1x4's under mine, two outside and one in the middle, pressure treated. Then I screwed 4 self-tappers thru the tool-box-board-bed, in each board.
I think the lip-over types look better, as there is a gap on each side of mine. It's just whatever 'Floats your boat'!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I bought a big (30" deep, 19" high and full width of bed) "garage" toolbox as shown by OZZ. I now wish I had a smaller one. The box is great and secure.
The rest of the story. I also bought a Black Max soft roll up toneau cover. Soft roll ups are hot in the sun and stiff to snap down in the cold. I now wish I had a roll top desk type that requires about a 9" square box at the front. My toolbox does not allow that and since my toolbox is snug to the rails the lip required for the roll up toneau would prevent opening the top.
I am leaning hard at selling this one.
I want a 35 to 40 gallon extra fuel tank and the roll top toneau.
Ref: toolbox. I recommend it does not extend above the bed rails. Towing flat is not a problem but if the truck slants down on a turn the clearance is reduced.
Again my recommendation is to assess all that you want in the bed and go from there.
Good luck and let us know what you choose.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I have the same box as Ozz and it works great for me. The spaces on the sides fit plastic fuel cans for the generator perfectly. I have a roll up toneau cover with velcro sides and it fits over the box fine. I put a piece of 4X4 behind the box which holds it just far enough forward that the lid can be fully opened. The box just sits in the truch and never moves. No fasteners at all making it easy to remove if needed.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I keep a ladder, more of a step-ladder like in a kitchen, behind the space in the bed between the bed wall and the back of the toolbox.
You might think of that, unless you are 6'8" or so, the ladder works great for the windshield cleaning, or the back of the Monte glass cleaning.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wayne and Carolyn-- I have the hard roll top tonneau cover(Rolax) like John has mentioned. I do not have a toolbox in the bed however. Wish I did at times. I was out the other day and saw a TV in a parking lot that had a toolbox on the rear of the TV bed instead of the front of the box. It was a diamond plate unit, under the rails, side to side and had the V or U in the middle to accomodate the fifth wheel hitch. It looked to be only a foot,maybe 15" wide. The TV had no tailgate due to the toolbox. It was low enough to accommodate the roll top cover also if the TV would have had one on it. I didn't get a chance to go over to the truck and check it out before they left the parking lot. I think that would be the perfect set up and it would have still allowed me(or John) to put in a reserve fuel tank in the front of the bed. If I see it again, and I'm sure I will because it was a local truck, I'll go over and check out who makes it and etc.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Wayne, I have a low profile that sit on the bed rails its only about 1 1/2" above the tails. It has room under it to keep other things. It has enough room that it clears the cap when turning 90*. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a box the height of the bed rails and full width - no gap front or sides. I carry 2 sets of golf clubs and some truck things like oil, anti-freeze, etc. I almost ran out of fuel in SW Wyoming the first year - had less than a gallon left. We had traveled about 230-240 miles with no stations - ulp!!! First thing I did when I got home was add a 52 gallon tank under the truck. I didn't realize that the truck was near weight limit, and the extra 26 gallons of fuel adds about 300-400 lbs. If I had to do over, I think I would opt for a fuel tank in the back - probably smaller than 26 gallons. I don't know if they make a combo toolbox/fuel tank or not but that would be ideal.
Oh, the tool box is water proof and works great as far as that is concerned. So some things to think about.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I use the low profile over the lip also. No problems so far. I like to store my firewood under the box, that way it's out of the way.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks, everyone, for your input on the tool boxes. After a lot of debate and reading, we decided to buy a Weather Guard tool chest that sits flush with the bedrails. Two factors figured into our decision: If we had to order one, the delivery time was anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks out, and we needed the box no later than May 31st. Second, today we found a black Weather Guard at a good price (on sale), so by buying it we saved what it would have cost to ship anything we special ordered. If we still lived in Austin, we no doubt would have had a much wider range of choices available, but living where we do, choices are frequently limited and we learn to love what we can get without a lot of hassle.

Thank you all again for your help. I know Wayne initially wanted the low-profile box, but the shipping and the wait time for one played into the decision, and he says he's very happy with what he bought this afternoon.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote