Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
More on black tanks (more pictures added)

Here are our tanks, old and new, awaiting installation. We found the black tank leak; where the dealer had originally tried to patch it. One thing good, they fooled around and broke the flush off, so we'll get a new one. Another thing, our tanks did not have the rubber grommets going into the tank, but had some sort of adapter glued in.

A few more pictures. I was surprised at the warning sticker about using self tapping (TEC or TEK)screws to secure the tanks. The old black tank had three or four on the end where the patch was at. Our tanks came from Keystone in Pendleton, OR according to the shipping labels. Only pictures of the black tank, but both are completely isolated with rubber couplings. You can see in the picture of the 45* lines, the installer enlarged the hole thru the floor, and the pipes still didn't line up just perfect. Now to figure out how to support those babies!

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Here are our tanks, old and new, awaiting installation. We found the black tank leak; where the dealer had originally tried to patch it. One thing good, they fooled around and broke the flush off, so we'll get a new one. Another thing, our tanks did not have the rubber grommets going into the tank, but had some sort of adapter glued in.

Will in the picture I see 3 tanks 2 together and one at the bottom the top left looks like it has the toilet and vent connected to it, the one next to that tank has no pipes comming out of it, and the bottom tank dont look like any of the other tanks above it.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Will I have had mine out and the keystone tanks are all spun welded fittings IIRC atleast mine were. I think that is better the rubber bushings will leak easyer. Now the new montanas may use a different supplyer I don't know. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I failed to get the fourth tank in the picture. The lower left tank is the gray tank; one small inlet. Top two are the black tanks; old on left, new on right. If you look very closely, the 3" outlet is on the lower right side of the left hand black tank.

These definitely were not the spin weld type fittings. Looked to me like ABS fittings glued to the tank and pipe. I could see were they strung glue across the tank also. The installer used 3M 5200 to glue the rubber grommets in the new tanks. He said he had tried to take a grommet out that he had used this stuff on. Could not remove it. I have used the 5200 on the boat, and it is a permanent adhesive. They also make a 4500 which can be removed; it is tough though. Both are marine adhesives.

They have the tanks in, but we will not use them for a couple days, to let everything set up good. I will try to post a couple more pictures today.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I think I remember you said you have insurance, but just curious what the cost was?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

I think I remember you said you have insurance, but just curious what the cost was?
Somewhere around $250 best I guesstimate. $50 deductible, $50 service call fee, and shipping, which the RV service company said they thought would be around $150 for both tanks. If it runs a hundred or so more, I won't be upset. Just labor for the two new tanks is 8 hours; not sure what they will allow on patching the other one.