Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Old Yeller

This morning, I had to visit one of my customers and pick up a heavy part, I have a 1500# lift gate on the 1976 Chevy ¾ ton pickem-up truck I bought new for $7,000 and some change.
She, they are always a ‘she’ for us guys I guess. She is relegated to a dual strip of concrete in the back field. For so many years I had kept my Old Yeller in the garage, but the Zero-turn mower, Kubota tractor and a dozen furnaces and air conditioners have edged her out.
I put the key in the ignition, turned it after pumping the accelerator about 5 times, vroom! Started right up. I imagine she wants to please me, so I will take her out for a spin more often.
I pulled around to the driveway, looked around for the electric passenger side door locks, there are none, had to lean across the seat and unlock the door so I could load some tools in front.
I was driving down the highway wondering if the door was all the way closed, no ‘door ajar’ lights on the dash, if it’s making more noise than usual, I guess it’s ajar.
I had a buddy in high school that told me that he just turned up the volume when he had new rattles, when he ran out of volume, it was time to get another car…
I enjoyed driving Old Yeller, not much works well in it, but we have been together for 280,000 miles, I have no plans on retiring her anytime soon.
I think that is why she starts up so well, she has no intention on quitting me.
I just may put a new coat of wax on her for the winter. I think she might like that.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Ozz,

Let me know when you are ready to put that coat of wax on "her". I'll bring my BAT (Big Axxxd Truck) over so you can do "her" as well.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I need to do my service truck as well, then Sue will see me waxing and hers will be in line, I just may be out of steam by then.
Your BAT looks pretty darn shiny to me in the picture.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Having owned 4 trucks of that body style, I guess you could say I liked it! However in all fairness, the one that preceded it (1972 and earlier) was my favorite. I can also do just about any repair known to man on them too, as long as they are 4x4's.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote