Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
"Highways" article about all RV tires

The November/December 2010 issue of Highways Magazine from the Good Sam Club (GSC) has a pretty good article titled "Tracking RV Tires". It seems to match what we've experienced here. The information was gathered from GSC's RV Owners' Advisory Council (RVOAC) from 100's of comments, questions and suggestions.

It will be available online in the future but not for a while (I think they want us to enjoy the paper version first). For those non-member Good Sam'ers here's some "Key Survey Findings" from the article:

- On Trailers, tires load range C, D and E are significantly more likely to fail. On motorized RVs it's LR F & H.
- Motorized RV tires experience more curbside damage. Towables more often sustain driver side damage.
- Towable RVs sustain more damage from tire failure than motorized RVs.
- Trailer owners are more aware of their weight than motorhome owners (75% versus 65%).
- Motorized RV owners are less aware of their failed tire's load range than trailer owners (65% versus 26%).

This all made sense to me. Trailers are lighter constructed and use ST tires which just don't seem as strong as they need to be. The sizes that failed are used with the larger trailers and to me it seems that the heavier the rig, the more exponential chance of failure. Most trailers also have more slideouts (and weight) on the driver side - it's true for my rig 5,500lbs versus 5,100lbs. Finally with all motorized RVers I know they don't care to weigh or know their weight points as trailer owners because the motorized RV is so heavy and more solid, most figure that adding more weight is not a concern. Because of Trailer contruction I think we have to care more - but everyone SHOULD know their weights and ratings regardless what they have. In fact, I know worry about it with my vehicles, so much so that we longer carry the barbells when we vacation travel in the car any more. Vehicles have weight limits too and I guarantee the cargo weight is exceeded after five passengers and their luggage. Something to think about - just because it fits, doesn't mean you should bring it along.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I read that article, and found it less than helpful. For example, on trailers, load range C,D, and E were most likely to fail. What else would you use on a trailer, for crying out loud? I'm sure they had advertisers to consider, but to be useful, I think they should have specified brands that were more likely to fail, or done a more indepth analysis.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
You would use load range "G". After having a blow out last week on one of my Goodyear Marathon load range "E" I am changing to laod range "G" which is a 14 ply rating tire the G614 that is made in the USA not in China. I had all of 1500 miles on the Marathon when it blew out.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have not read that article yet, but have been disappointed in the past by the ridiculous comments made by some of the so called experts. In the Oct issue a reader asks a question about adding air bags to a 3/4 ton to haul the pin weight of a 16k 5th wheel. The expert proceeded to tell him his truck's GVWR was not the issue, but the truck's tow rating was the issue. And never bothered to inform him that the tow rating was found by the GCWR minus the truck's weight.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Capt. Kidd, be sure that your wheels are rated for the extra pressure, you may need to change them, too.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have just completed a 12,000 mile trip to the east coast. We have the Good Year Marathon tires made in China. That is the total miles on the tires since this a new trailer purchased in March. No problems with the tires. I checked the tire pressure with the monituring system, didn't go overweight, and drove around 60 mph.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I agree with Scattershot. This article was useless and a total waste of pages.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgtpp214

I agree with Scattershot. This article was useless and a total waste of pages.
I think that pretty much sums up every issue of Highways Magazine.There is never any depth to their articles.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Y'all are being too harsh on them, after all those 'articles' justify them calling it a magazine instead of an advertiser.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote