Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #21
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
As of right now I have had to pay for repairs myself, with no help from GM. We are contacting the regional manager on Thursday this week to discuss if they will cover anything. As for improving the injectors a local diesel high performance shop here in Billings told me that the injectors were the same/not improved models that were installed in all LB7's. Seems that Bosch & GM have some sort of patent on them and no one else can make them for GM. That's what I was told anyway. None the less, I will keep my 03' simply for the milage that it gets compared to the new duramax's. A friend has a new 2010 that gets a steady 8 towing and 12 to 14 empty. Mine has always gotten 12 to 14 towing and 21 empty. Quite a difference.

restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Tom, I would suggest your lines were replaced as the result of a service bulletin (#08-07-30-049A: Transmission Oil Cooler Line Leak (Replace Affected Cooler Line) - (Mar 18, 2009). Surely you read on the forums how many warranty issues are denied? The injectors on the LB7 engines were given an extra 100,000 miles and 2 more years. I recall one of our Canadian members that was denied warranty on the injectors while still under that warranty. If I was a dealer, I would try to get the injectors done under warranty if it was a customer that bought multiple vehicles from me. However, if Joe Citizen walked in my shop, and was not a good customer, I would deny the out of warranty service.

I sure don't feel I am assuming anything. I am glad they changed the leaky lines for you, but even with the TSB, you were most likely an exception rather than the average recipient of out of warranty service.

Actually, no I didn't read about it. I posted on DieselPlace years ago when a question was asked about it, since I had the lines replaced with less than 12K on the truck. Actually, in that instance, I don't think the actually replaced the lines but just the O-rings. I didn't know there was a service bulletin - thanks for the update!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I have had injectors replaced either one or all at least three times. I'm not looking forward to the end of the warranty period at all. I have a 2004 with 152345 miles on it as of today. I saw on some duromax web site how to replace the injectors yourself and it was a bit complicated but do able. I'm not sure I will take on that task though. I might just trade it in before that time comes. I think that answers the question of improved injectors being installed. The last time one was clogged shut and the other was stuck open.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
New or re-manufactured injectors?
How many miles did you have on your truck when you first had problems?
Thanks
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #25
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by restez
None the less, I will keep my 03' simply for the milage that it gets compared to the new duramax's. A friend has a new 2010 that gets a steady 8 towing and 12 to 14 empty. Mine has always gotten 12 to 14 towing and 21 empty. Quite a difference.

Hmm, that is bad milage. Our 2008 gets 11 to 13 towing the 3400, and I've gotten as high as 23 empty, if I keep it under 70!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #26
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

New or re-manufactured injectors?
How many miles did you have on your truck when you first had problems?
Thanks
I had my injectors replaced almost 3 years ago at 60K. I was told at the time that they were re-manufactured and that was all that they could get. I took mine in for another problem and the advisor started questioning me about my injectors and if I was having any problems. I went along with his questioning and wound up with all new injectors. I guess he was just looking for business. He no longer works there for what ever reason.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Just an update on our progress with GM on the injector issue. My wife contacted GM customer service and after she evidently sweet talked them and told them our problems they did offer to pay half. that was better than nothing I figured. I noticed they credited our account this morning. Not overly happy but satisfied.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Update in my rig. I took it in Monday and told them no hurry but if possible I would like to have by Friday. Champion Chevrolet Reno NV replaced all 8 injectors. There were no codes stored but diagnosis showed poor fuel return on 3 injectors. The mechanic said the first time he started my truck it acted like it was hydrolocking. He explained that the injectors were dribbling fuel into the cylinders after the Key was turned off. The standing fuel in the cylinder could cause a bent rod upon compression when starting. I did mention the extended warranty on my first call. The dealer made the call without me ever saying another word. The Mechanic did say be sure an use my own additive. I told him I had been using Lucas and he said that was fine. He said to try and get my fuel from dealers that have high fuel turnover like Loves or Pilot never 7-11. $4000 job No Charge. 2004 LB7 engine with 110K miles. I can't tell a difference in performance but the nasty smell is gone and it seems quieter.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #29
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by restez

Just an update on our progress with GM on the injector issue. My wife contacted GM customer service and after she evidently sweet talked them and told them our problems they did offer to pay half. that was better than nothing I figured. I noticed they credited our account this morning. Not overly happy but satisfied.
Glad GM met you half way at least.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote