Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
sink didn't drain

We took our second ever trip in our new 3455 SA this past weekend. Everything was lovely until we realized that after dumping the black and grey tanks, our kitchen sink drain was full of water and not draining. I couldn't figure this one out!
My RV dealers service dept is off on Mondays so i haven't been able to call and schedule an appt. or ask , so let's hear it from the monty group please.

Also, does my model have TWO grey tanks? My meter shows two, one empty , one full. I left my manuals in the trailer at the storage unit , and since it's been raining here in Texas for two days, I will wait till tomorrow to go get the info.

please help, as I know you will. Thanks !!

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Dave, I would guess the galley tank is full. Not sure where the drain handle is on your model. Ours is between the wheels, but possibly ahead of the wheels. Kinda hard to see. The dealer needs a new person to do the "walk throughs".
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Mine is between the wheels on the left side as well - kinda hard to get to if the slides are out
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a 3500RL and the gauge panel shows: Grey, Black, Galley, Fresh & Battery. The Grey (lavatory and shower) dump valve is in the basement right next to the Black dump valve. The Galley dump valve is right behind the tandem wheels on the driver's side and I have to reach quite a ways underneath to open the valve because it is not obvious and if they had not shown it to me during the PDI I would not have found it.

I hope this helps you search for an additional dump tank valve. I have a feeling it's under there if your lavatory and shower are not full, but your sink still is, then there has to be a valve for it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Superdave,
A large percentage of Montana users took a while to figure out where that 3rd handle was. I'm also going to go with the majority and say it is between, or near the street side tandems.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Congrats to the Montana Forum panel of experts - again !! I was so intrigued by the thought that there was a third dump valve cleverly hidden on my Monty that I drove over to the storage unit and found the durn thing !! it is located aft of the wheels at the front seam of the rear slide out.

I'm going to check and see if it's mentioned in the manual.

My question now is how big is the tank for this? Is it called a galley tank or what? this must be the second gray water tank being shown on the sensor panel .
The Montana website says my model has a 90 gallon grey water tank, a 50 gal black and a 66 gal drinking water tank. So is the grey water actually split?

I am so glad I bought a Montana - if other RV manufacturers manuals are half as bad as the Monty's has been , I would have gone postal by now !! Ha ! ( no offense to any Postal Workers out there ).

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The grey tanks are typically the same size, but definitely empty at different rates due to the plumbing size differences.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, our 2007 has two grey tanks. Each is 34 gallons. Same for our 2003 Montana. I'm not sure about our 2001 Montana but it also had two. I think the 2010 may have slightly larger tanks. If I can find out I'll post back.

on edit -- according to http://keystone-montana.com/index.php?page=specs
they did increase tank size. Your 3455SA has 93 gallons of gray tank. It does not indicate how they're split, however. I'd bet its half for each tank, or very close to the same on each tank. Your black tank holds 50 gallons. I like those sizes. Ours are 34 gallons on each of the three waste tanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Dave,
If your info indicates you have a 90 gallon capacity in your grey tanks they are probably 45 gals each.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dave, you probably have 4 tanks Fresh,Black,Galley and Grey tanks. The fresh water tank won't have a release handle.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Unfortunately, the Owners Manual is very vague in identifying the capacities of the galley and gray water tanks specifically. I think you will, and I would, have to call Keystone to find out exactly what your build is. It is not necessarily true that each tank will be equal. You will find out soon enough when the kitchen sink fills up and your gray water tank says it is only 1/3 full (or 2/3 empty - your choice). The manual doesn't really state that there are two tanks, only that there could be. The plumbing will depend on your floor plan. It could be that the lavatory sink is plumbed into the galley tank. Trust me, this will cause the galley tank to fill up a lot faster than just doing dishes. If you have a washer/dryer, the plumbing on that can be any one of 3 ways. Into black tank, into gray tank, or directly into discharge pipe. You have to know this before you wash clothes so you can have the correct drain open. A washer load of closes can be up to 30 gallons.

Let us know what you find out please.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
SuperDave,
Take the long rod used for pulling down your awning. On one end (Where you hold it) there is a round loop. When you want to pull your galley handle when the slides are out, use that loop to hook the handle and pull or push the handle. Saves on the knees. Also, some folks add a clear elbow and shut off valve at the sewer exit. If that is closed and capped you can open both the gray and galley tanks to increase galley capacity. Might save a unnecessary trip to the dump station when boon docking. Just be sure you don't open the black tank by mistake! Hope this helps,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Superdave

We took our second ever trip in our new 3455 SA this past weekend. Everything was lovely until we realized that after dumping the black and grey tanks, our kitchen sink drain was full of water and not draining. I couldn't figure this one out!
My RV dealers service dept is off on Mondays so i haven't been able to call and schedule an appt. or ask , so let's hear it from the monty group please.
Been there done that, but my value was open. When you have the slide out, it is really hard to see. But as every one said, it is on the frame behind the wheels, and the owners manual doesn't say a thing about it.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote