Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
Hauling a Generator

Hi everyone! I've been spending several weeks reading and rereading the posts on this forum...gleaning alot of information as well as some laughs along the way! Look forward to being part of this group. We are planning on buying a Mountaineer 295RKD here in the near future and REALLY look forward to our first RV adventures.

Now to the question! We are looking at buying a Honda Generator for those times that we are dry cammping. Those babies can be quite heavy and don't want to be loading and unloading it off the back of the truck if necessary. How are you hauling your generator? Do you have a permanent place for it so that it's ready to use right where it's at? Pictures would be really helpful as I'm a bit challenged with alot of the truck/RV lingo! Thanks in advance!

countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Hello Country Lady,

We have a Kiper i3000 that we leave in the back of the truck. We are in the NE so we go camping from April to November and I leave it in the back the entire time. I need to get a new cover every year as they deteriorate due to the weather. Otherwise it seems to have no effect on the unit.

We center it right behind the back window and use tie downs to secure it via the front loops. We also have a steal cable with a padlock to ensure it does not walk.

We have 2 25' 30 amp extension cords that we use to ensure that we mimize the time that we need to take it out of the trunk. I have used some electrical conduit to create a chimmy for it for locations that require a 10' exhaust.

I hope that helps!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
First, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a great deal here. Just ask the questions. I'm sure that you'll also be able to contribute to other peoples questions. We are a very diverse group.
Make sure that you use a generator that will be allowed in campgrounds. Construction generators are too loud for many places and may not run electronics. The size of the generator will depend on what you want to run. Others will be able to answer your questions better as we don't use a gen right now.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have two Eu2000 Hondas that tie together with a Honda "parallel cable", so that they can act as one larger generator. Each Honda by itself weighs about 50 lbs (including gas and oil) which I can still haul into the back of the truck bed. With this configuration it is alleged that it supports a 30amp configuration just fine (I haven't used it long term). To increase run time others have also built auxiliary fuel source and added the appropriate plumbing.

Another common place for a generator is the very front storage area, but check the size, exhaust if you run it from that location and the weight if concerned about stuff like that. Several have installed a permanent RV generator professionally installed for their solution.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Gumby56, the only difference is I keep ours on the drivers side to allow more room for exhaust. I have also added a front hookup to the rig, so the gen-set can be used when travelling (air conditioning for the pets that travel in crates in the rig). The 3000 weighs about 150 pounds, but I have seen ads for a new Honda 3000 that only wighs about 75 pounds. another alternative is the 2000 hondas which can be paralled. They only weight about 47 pounds. We have one but use it primarily for the boat. The Kipor is used for the rig. I would think that the Hondas could travel either in the front compartment or the basement.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We carry our like Art does. Here's a shot:

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I carry a Honda 2000 in my truck mounted tool box. Only use it when we need it. (DUH, that sounds stupid). You need to decide on the style of camping you do before investing in a ginny. We mostly use full hookups and only need ours in an emergency, hence the Honda. BTW "Welcome to the Best Darn Forum on the WWW!!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Kipor 3000 and and carry it in the back of the truck. We do not dry camp and have never used it due to a power outage on the road or in a campground. In the "old days" it was not uncommon to experience power outages in campgrounds. That rarely happens anymore and IMO the Kipor is just taking up space and addng weight. In retrospect it was a not to smart move on my part to buy it. I was still mired in the past.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We have the Kipor 3000Ti and only carry it to NASCAR events.
Stow it just inside door on a metal pan, created two wood blocks to suspend wheels so won't move in transit
At destination unload (2 people as its heavy) lash to front landing gear with chain (plastic coated)
Run 50amp cord, use 50-30 pigtail and plug into twist lock

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have an older Honda 650 generator and it is usually in the front storage of the 5er. It is not big enough for microwave or AC but it will run everything else. It's easy on fuel and quiet.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Just like Tom and Art I carry a Honda 2000 in the bed of my truck. I have a #12 gauge 40 ft extension cord. If I need the truck, I can disconnect the Generator or set it on the ground. One unit will not run my A/C, but I don't dry camp in 90 degree heat. The only real draw back with the generator in the open is even if you have it chained down through the handle, if someone really wants to steal it, they will just cut through the plastic handle.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
several good ideas on permanently mounting the generator on the bed of your truck, but we can't do that as DH has to use it to drive back and forth to work. Trying to think of a way to tow a generator and leave it where it is without having to unload it when we want to use it...we both have back problems that will make it a bit difficult :/ Luckily, this isn't something that we have to decide on in the very beginning as we will be camping in both full hookup campgrounds as well as dry camping (or is it boondocking???) just thinking ahead of things we need to consider.

btw, Tom, thanks for the pics...very nice setup for your generators!!
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
countrylady,

Here is what works for me. Honda 2000i
A 12ga extension cord can be run to the power connection at the rear of the Monty or the cord can be routed in the belly of the 5th wheel or in conduit on the outside of the belly.
I have not had any exhaust or heat problems when running the generator in the bay with the bay door latched open. I don't sleep in the bedroom with the generator running. The generator can also be removed and placed on the ground at the front or the rear of the rig. The sliding tray makes this easier to do.
I think when using any generator consideration needs to be given to safety when using. So do what safely works for you.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I like you system Jolu. Easy to wire. Would like to see pictures of your slide and how you mounted it. Also a picture of the Honda with the slide inside the compartment.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
grooving grandpa,

More photos are posted at the link. Honda 2000i
Click on the photos to enlarge and a description.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks Jolu,
A two left handed person like me could not ask for a more detailed instruction book to install your system. I am sure others on the forum will appreciate your pictures also.

Lou Gaudin