Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Port A Bote Owners Question

For you Port A bote owners, I have just bought a Minn Kota 30 trolling motor. For those of you with experience, where do you place the battery? Is it setting on anything in the bottom? Also I am looking at a EverReady Maxx 29 Deep cycle - any opinions or better suggestions for the price? Battery people haven't heard about the recession going on and are pretty pricey.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
I have a heavy duty rubber mat (about 8"wider & longer than the battery: marine diehard) that I laydown on floor of bote & set battery on it. also carry a battery recharger.
I have 2 U shape cleats adhearing to transom and a bunje cord to hold battery from shifting. My trolling mtr. is 36# thrust, 10 ft. porta bote.

Hope this helps.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have a 12 ft porta bote and 36# thrust motor. we use a deep-cycle marine battery i got from Costco. It is pretty heavy. I sit on the aft seat and to one side so I can control the center mounted motor. I place the battery on the floor just forward of the transom and just past center opposite of where I sit. So, we are all comfortable and balanced. I keep the battery in one of the plastic battery boxes with the wing bolt terminals. I have not felt the need to put anything under the battery box. I also have a "Fish finder on a stick" mounted on the transom on the battery side of the boat. It is visible when sitting or trolling but not very useful when making any way -- to easy to get off course while looking at it.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Dave and John - appreciate the info that is good stuff to know.
I'm still battery shopping.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote