Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
What Type of Hitch

I am worn out from looking at 5th wheel hitches.
Under bed? Standard? Super Signature? Air Hitch? Rubber Ball Hitch?

What do you use and how did you mount it?
Dodge says no holes and most require drilling YIKES!!!

Your thoughts please

Doug and Robin

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As I say every time,

IF, we knew then, what we know now

NO QUESTION:

AIR HITCH of some kind.

PERIOD.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Reese has mounting brackets that let you mount to a Dodge. The holes are on the sides of the tube rail and then angle over to the base of the rail. You can not drill top to bottom on the rails.
If you have the money I would go with an air ride hitch also. If I was doing it now I would lean toward the Hensley Trailsaver. I had their Hensley Arrow hitch for my TT and it did as advertised. I was impressed with their design and construction. I have a Reese 20K hitch which was selected by the trailer dealer. I did not know enough about all the issues back in 03.
Good luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

As I say every time,

IF, we knew then, what we know now

NO QUESTION:

AIR HITCH of some kind.

PERIOD.
Or air pin box...which, although not quite as good, is about one quarter of the price, and does a good job.

As for the hitch, I prefer a sliding locking mechanism rather than the jaws. When the bar slams closed behind the pin, there is no doubt we are secured.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
After looking at air hitches and the shock of sticker price I am still looking.
Know anything about the B&W turnover ball and companion hitches?
Like the idea of clean bed but!!! shessh it was easier to pickout a Montana
Thanks for the help one of the problems in being a new 5th wheel user is getting to know whats available and what works.

Doug
Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Doug- I don't know what you have for a TV but I have a 2500 Chevy, crew cab and short box. I have a Reese slider in mine- yah the sticker shock of the air rides and etc got me too! I have not had any problems with my Reese and as was stated earlier- when I hear the kingpin lock in with the two arms around it- I know I'm hooked up. As usual, I do not lift my landing gear totally before testing just incase it is not locked but that has never happened- knock on wood! If you have a full bed the slider is not needed but could still come in handy. This is just my opinion and others may differ from mine! Keep us informed on your final choice and happy camping!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Out of all that stuff out there, I think the two things I would put on the top of the list is that positive locking jaw and at least an 18K head as others have noted. I unfortunately have neither (standard 16K Reese slider).

If it is Reese you are looking at, the Signature has the positive locking head, and they also make an 18K standard (Pro) version now that uses the bed rails combined with the Signature head.

I always thought I needed an air hitch, but with the new Montana Mor-Ryde suspension and a fifth air borne pin box, I don't feel the need. They may have long term benefits for fulltimers, but thats not me.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Doug,
I just bought a used reese 20k hitch for about $300 add to that another 75(sandblasting), 40(paint) and you have a $900 hitch for less than 1/2 the price of new. I'm looking into the 5th Airborne pin as all the comments that I've read have beed positive. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Doug I have the B&W Companion hitch and LOVE IT! I have a nice clean pickup bed when I am not on vacation. This thing is fool proof. I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about replacing a receiver hitch.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I have a 20.5K Fifth Airborne with the custom brackets. Installed it myself on a 2008 chevy 3500 DRW, start to finish 30 minutes. Outstanding hitch.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Doug,

You didn't say if you have a short bed. I just installed a Pullrite Superglide 18k (automatic) on my Dodge. The manual slider works as well but so many times, people forget or don't notice until you have blown out the rear window and damaged the cab....about a $3500 repair.

Didn't know about drilling on the Dodge, but the dealer had originally told me I needed a kit for the Dodge. Whatever he was talking about was included with the Superglide. As mentioned in the previous posts, this hitch locks shut when backing, a nice feature knowing that you are positively locked in place.

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Doug, I have owned a Huskey/Valley 16,000 steel hitch and a Trailer Saver Air ride hitch. The TS is a awesome hitch, but very expensive but if your full timing I would go with the TS. But if you like a clean bed I would go with the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. You can remove it in 10 minutes and the bed will be clean, and you will only have 1 hole in the center and some small holes if you get the safety chain loops. Don't know about the Dodge but there was no drilling of the Frame on the Chevy, every hole lined up perfect. And the install took 1 hour and 45 minutes. I have the Trailair pin box and the Trailair equa flex suspension and I have no chucking and no movement in the hitch, and don't here any noise while towing. The B&W releases the easy of any hitch I have owned. Just remove 1 safety pin and pull handle to release and reverse to hook up. Good Luck with your decision... GBY....

I also think its the strongest hitch I have owned and has the strongest mount of them all.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Thanks Ya'll I am going with the B&W Turn Ball
All I gotta do now is break out the credit card and go shoppin!!!
Cash whats that? Wife has it all LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Fire1, as others have said, most hitch manufacturers now have non-drilling mounts for the Dodge. When we traded our Ford for this Dodge, the dealer ordered the Dodge mounting kit for our Reese 16k Classic. No problem.

I'm getting ready to switch to a pullrite superglide (ours is a shortbed truck) and they also list a non-drill mounting kit for the Dodge. Just be sure your installer KNOWS he has to use the special mounting kit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Thanks all I ordered a B&W turn over ball and companion hitch. Had the turnover ball installed today what a great looking hitch. They had to show me where it was it blended into the bed so well.

Great fit and the install took about 1.5 hours no holes and no welding,

Doug
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Doug
I will try and take some pictures of mine tomorrow and post. Did you have air bags installed?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Here is a picture of the Companion Hitch installed then removed. It takes me all of 5 minutes tops to install or remove the hitch from the bed. Its as easy as pie. I hope this helps you out. Any questions don't hesitate to pm me.
Phil

Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Okie Guy, great photo's, I agree its a awesome hitch. When you hook up there is no way you will drop the 5er. And when the hitch wraps around the kin pin there is no slack at all. And when unhooking its so simple just pull the pin and your loose. I looked very close before I went with the B&W. I believe if you look at this design and need a 5th wheel hitch. You will go with the B&W. And as you can see your bed is clean. So very easy to remove, its the simplest hitch to remove thats being sold today. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sweet, Okie Guy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
Tawna
Established Member

M.O.C. #8136
Doug, I have the B&W turn over hitch in my 2006 F-250 short bed and I pull a 2007 3400RL Monty and I love it. Clean bed when I an not pulling and it is east to hook and unhook.
Tawna is offline   Reply With Quote