Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Better Deals @ RV Shows ?

I noticed that an RV Show is coming to my area next month.
Do you typically get better deals from an RV show? I would think they would like to sell their goods at the show so they dont have to haul them back to the dealership.
I was just wondering if it would pay off to wait or not.
Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.mhrvshows.com/fall.php

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
They will have to haul them back to the dealership anyway for the PDI, but if you know what you are doing you can get a good deal. The dealer is hoping that you'll get caught up in the show and will see everyone else's MSRP and believe that he is giving you a good deal.

That said as long as you know that for a $50,000 MSRP, he has paid $30,000 and maybe shipping. There is some competition between the various dealers and sometimes your best deal can be had when the show just opens so the dealer can put a sold sign on the rig to show off to the other guys. Sometimes you can get a discount by letting the dealer continue to show the rig--it is wear and tear, but not much. The best time generally as near the end of the show. If the unit you wanted is gone, chances are that there is another back on the lot or easily available---good hunting!

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The truth is if you are a skilled negotiator you can get a just as good or better deal any time of the year.However the RV show is a excellent place to compare Rv brands and to get a good idea of pricing.You can get a good price at the RV show for reasons stated above by mobilrvn and more.Keep in mind the the price indicated by the dealer at the show is not his "last best price" and you can still negotate.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When you get to the show have all your facts and figures in hand and be prepared to NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE and when the dealer says he is at the bottom NEGOTIATE some more.
I got a much better deal on my rig at the Harrisburg, PA RV show than I ever could have received elsewhere and mine was a current model and not a last years leftover.
When we were about done negotiating I had a 2500 dollar better deal than anyone had ever quoted prior to the show. Than as a final negotiating point I told them I didn't have a hitch in my truck and wanted the hitch thrown into the deal and that's how I ended up with the PullRite SuperGlide. My total savings by buying at the RV show saved me 2500 bucks plus a 2200 dollar hitch.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I was looking at Montanas, and found one at the Quartzsite show that was just what I was looking for, but the salesman quoted me a price that was more than double the best price I had to that point, and just less than double the MSRP of the trailer. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
On my coach I found I actually got a much better deal since I factory ordered it rather than buy off lot. Dealership wants more money for the ones they floor. If you order, they are not into it for any money other than the PDI. I was able to order more options on my coach and still paid much less than what they wanted for the one in stock. Just a thought... Also I did order mine during the RV show in Jan.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We went to the dealer about 2 weeks prior to the show and told them we were interested in a 3475. The dealer quoted his show price and gave us show tickets to come down and close the deal.. We did that and ordered our new 3475 that had the custom features we wanted at the show. We felt the deal was fair and reasonable. So--the show was a good place for us to buy.

Tim and Susan Millington
F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab (2006), Single Wheel, Diesel
2006 3475RL San Antonio, Texas
http://i2.tinypic.com/soqu4i.jpg[/IMG]
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Very good points made by all. ( I love this website )
Can I ask for some Fatherly advice too? JUST KIDDING.

It looks like I will carry my pocket calculator with me and be armed for anything and be ready to play some hardball. Between now and then I will keep doing my homework on the different models and
the different options I'm looking for. Also, I will practice my negotiating skills with my
bride at home. ( Honey if you let me watch Monday Night football, I will let you cook dinner. ) Hows that ?
Its a good thing she doesnt visit the forum.

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've had dealers tell me they can get me show price anytime. Most often the show price is not the best deal you can get. Notice they show the original price and the sale price so you see a "big" discount and jump at it. In reality, you can, in my opinion, get a better deal, whether at the show or another time. The show is a good place to get an idea of what you want without traipsing around to a lot of different dealers. But you can get the same deal at the show or at the dealership.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote