Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Generators

I now have a pair of honda EU2000i generators, which when hooked together runs everything in my 3280RL. I am not comfortable of just placing them next to the hitch of my TV. Yes I could lock/chain them to the hitch, but they would still be out in the weather. Where do others place/store while traveling and not being used?? Front storage area looks great, however getting them in-out while bent over does not seem like a good idea for my old sore back.

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I carry mine in the front storage area. I did have to raise the shelf up so they would fit under it. I do not find it to difficult to get them in there and I also have a bad back.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a friend who carries his generators in his tool box in the bed of the truck when not using them. Not sure if you have one in your truck, but thought I would pass the idea along.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Bad back here too, place mine on the ends of the slide out rack.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our generator is the Yamaha 3000SEB which weighs alot so we keep it in the truck bed and run it from that location (behind the driver's seat). It's attached to the hitch base and covered with a plastic tub which is secured by a strong bungee cord. It's gone to Alaska and back in that location. Works great!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Sweetfire - I dont know what you mean by slide out rack??

Montana Sky - Yes I do have a tool box in my bed, and they would fit in it, however I dont think I could get them out without unhitching. But that would work for my trip to south Texas. Leaving on Dec 19th. Only taking one generator along, not planning on any boondocking. Just want one along in case we get in some bad weather, and not able to get shore power. At least I then can run a few things ie. Furnace and TV.

DHenry - I will try to see if I can raise the shelf in the front storage area when I return in April. Did you have to beef up the floor at all?? And I assume you take them out when you are using them.

THANKS TO ALL
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
for a while I carried them in our rear compartment, but didn't like the fumes it gave off. I felt it wasn't safe. I also had them inside a tool box for a while.since then I sold them and bought a built in unit.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
RonS,
Have a safe trip to Texas next week. I think Sweetfire is talking about the slide out tray in the basement storage compartment. I keep my portable grill and two rubber made tubs with items I use almost every trip on the tray. Makes it easier than having to pull everything out of the basement.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
RonS, we had the same thoughts when we considered removing our generator for our trip to south Texas. We'll be spending a week in the Fort Worth area and ice storms are always possible. So we decided to let the generator ride along with us in case we lost power while we were there.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I carry ours in the back seat of the truck while traveling. When I need to use it I take it out and set it under the rear of one of the slideouts and cable it to the slide out. It's out of the weather and has worked this way for over 2 years.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I also have the Yahama with boost.I carry mine on a front mounted cargo carrier on the truck.works out well their.It has wheels so moving it is not hard at all.When running the generator I keep it under my living room slide with a fan to redirect the fumes away from the rig.Its so quiet that I can hardly hear it running.And the fan does a good job in we haven`t smelled any fumes while running.It also kkeeps it dry in that spot also.I have a Yahama cover for it while on the truck.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You are so right about it being quiet, Harleyrider. I've walked up to the truck and didn't even know it was running until I was right next to it. Is the Yamaha cover soft, like fabric, or is it hard plastic?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 AM   #13
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
RonS
Congratulations on your purchase of the Hondas. These are great little generators. I can't help with where to store these when in transit since my TV is a van and I keep these in the back of that and then have a 10' kyrpto cable and lock that I use to secure them to the trailer when I feel the need to. One challenge I had that was more than transporting the generators, since they seal pretty well and don't vent much fumes, was to find a gas can that was self venting. Transporting gas has always been a worry and most cans vent externally. After months of hunting I finally found a great can and nozzle system. These 5 gallon cans were designed for the military and meant to take a wicked beating. I strap one of these cans with a tie-down to the inside wall of the van and wouldn't know its there from a gas smell perspecitve. http://www.davidsonproducts.com/gastransit.htm
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 AM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
MontanaSky was right, I mean the slide out tray in the basement. I put one generator on either end of the slide. I will only need one unless I were to run the A/C.

I know this may sound like I'm preaching but as a fireman I want to comment on a couple things people have said on this thread. Unless I misunderstood.

First, please keep in mind that anything you keep in the back seat of your vehicle should be secured or held in place or it WILL become a missile in an accident. I'm not talking high speeds here, I mean speeds as low as 45 MPH and lower. Something as light as a fire extingusher (and I have three, go figure) can cause serious head injury as it flys forward in a crash. Heavy objects will over power seatback locks and then use the seatback as a ramp as they move up and forward. I would hate to think what an unsecured, 40 pound, generator would do in a 60 MPH roll over.

The other thing is gasoline, PLEASE, don't put it in an enclosed vehicle with you. Put it anywhere else, outside the rig is not great because it can be ruptured in a crash, but at least it's not going to be splashing all over you, or worse.

Just throw something at me and I'll get off the soap box.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
[quote]Originally posted by jrgwdenner

You are so right about it being quiet, Harleyrider. I've walked up to the truck and didn't even know it was running until I was right next to it. Is the Yamaha cover soft, like fabric, or is it hard plastic?
[/quote

The cover is soft but it is waterproof.has velcro on the top at each end that closes around the handles.Another nice thing I like about the Yahama is it cools down very quickly.I can put the cover over the generator in a matter of minutes after I turn it off.I am so pleased with this generator and the matching Blue with the Montana and my truck is an added bonus.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #16
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Just wondering about the Honda eu2000 generator. How much will just one of those little fellas run. Will it run microwave- convection oven and everthing else except ac of course. What about the tv? Happy Trails Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My understanding is that one Honda 2000 will do the things you mentioned, basically everything but the AC>
Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
And two EU2000 can be connected to run the AC too.